“Terrible”

Cabrillo Inn at the Beach
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Never ever get a room that has a balcony over it
the people partied all night !!!! Got up and walked down to the office at 2:40am
no one there, in the morning they said with distain "well theres a phone # to call
if you have a problem" management was no help
Recommend do not stay here ever
worst night ever pieriod.
location not bad rooms were clean

Room Tip: if you slept in your car you would have a better night sleep
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonySantaBarbara, Owner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and comments. We are truly sorry that you had a bad experience with other guests that were making excessive noise. Granted that we do our best to control this type of behavior we cannot correct the incident unless we are contacted. Yes when you came down to the office at 2:40am the office was closed. Our phone number is on the door for these types of issues. We have an after hours onsite manager who will respond to this type of issue if we are contacted. Our property is small but has 4 separate buildings and the night manager inside his apartment can not hear these disturbances that far away. If the night manager hears these excessive noise issues they will respond on their own accord and fix the disturbance. As stated in our in room blue directory under "Office Hours" The office opens at 7am and closes at 11pm. For emergencies OR EXCESSIVE noise disturbances after 11pm dial O and follow the instructions on the message recording. If followed you would have been given the managers extension number to dial and the manager would have corrected the problem or if necessary contact the police and have the guests removed from the property. We have been operating this Inn with the same family since 1976 and we or our guests will not tolerate excessive noise issues after 10pm and have a excellent track record of handling these types of problems over the last 35+ years. We again apologize for the rudeness of the other guests and hope that you will give us a try again. If so ask for the Managing Partner and I will take care of you personally and attempt to compensate you with a upgrade or special rate.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

we had a second floor room for us and our 2 kids. There's a terrace outside of the room with sunbeds and tables and chairs so we could have lunch. Location is great.. just a few minutes walk to the beach and being out of town meant that the train noise wasn't a problem. We all slept well. The Milpas Street community grocery shop was handy and the breakfast provided by the hotel was fine to fill up before going to the beach or into town . I recommend this hotel and would stay there again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Santa Barbara is a very pricey town, so what I am about to say needs to be understood in that context.

When you factored in the occupancy tax, a room at this hotel was $200/night for a room that ordinarily should have gone for about $80/night. There was nothing wrong with my room. It was clean, and the staff regularly came to clean it every day. But it didn't have a great view. One window looked out over the parking lot. The other small bathroom window looked out over another parking lot and down the street. But the location was great, just a block away from the sea. So even though I couldn't see the sea from my room or hear the waves, the location factored into the price of it.

The staff was polite and helpful, the young man carrying my heavy bags up one flight of stairs the day I arrived. But they couldn't seem to accommodate the parking needs of their guests. There seemed to be plenty of room to park in their various lots, but they had chains across them so you couldn't get in. About half the time I was there, I was obliged to park on the street. The other thing to beware of is the predictably terrible breakfast of un-fresh goods, which is included in the price, but not worth it. Unless you enjoy eating food wrapped up in plastic packages.

Taken together, I would say that charging $200/night was way too much for the experience. But Santa Barbara is a pricey town.

Room Tip: Since the whole point of being here is to enjoy the sea, I suggest you ask for a room with a view of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CleoQuatre
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Cabrillo Inn at the Beach is located right on Cabrillo Boulevard. It's a long walk or short trolley ride to Stearns Wharf and State Street. They provide a breakfast of coffee, juices, sweet rolls and bagels for their customers. The rooms are not air conditioned but are cooled by large fans which are placed in the windows of each room. The room was fairly clean except for the compact refrigerator which was dirty. The price was very good for Santa Barbara and its location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Torrance_Trojan
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Cabrillo Inn in August of 2012. The staff was most accomodating with our travel and room arrangements. I was leary about not having any air conditioing in the rooms but this was not a problem and I was there during a "heat wave" in Santa Barbara, temps. about 85 degreees Fahrenheit during the day but cooled down into the low 60's at night. The continental breakfast.was very good with homemade bakery items...you really get your carbs for the day. Loupee was extremely nice at the continental breakfast bar with a broad smile and cheerful hello every morning or whenever I saw her around the hotel. The second floor rooms facing the beach are wonderful. The beds were comfortable and I slept very well each evening for the time that we were there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place at a great price right on the beach in Santa Barbara. The location is excellent as you can walk to a great fresh fruit and vegetable stand on Milpas St. and if you travel just one more block, there is a Trader Joe's grocery store ( has great individual salads and sandwiches pre- packaged for easy lunch time meals) and a Rite Aid drugstore in a small strip mall. Have a great trip to Santa Barbara and try out this hotel !!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ebco230
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Four of us stayed for 2 nights in August in 2 rooms. Admittedly there is noise from other rooms (ours was on the ground next to the pool) and we had quite a lot of noise from creaking floorboards in the room above but as the staff honestly admitted the place was built in an era of different building Regs so there is little they could do about but they were apologetic. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a problem with the TV and room phone but both were fixed within 5 minutes. Admittedly the rooms could do with a refresh as its a bit dated but ours was clean and the bed was ok. We stayed in 11 different hotels whilst in the States and all the beds had different degrees of comfort. We didn't have the breakfast so cannot comment. Our friends were a bit luckier than us and had a first floor room with a very large verandah outside which although is shared with all guests we had no problems and it was nice to sit outside in the evening breeze and listen to the waves crashing on the beach across the road. Safety wasn't an issue and the staff said it was perfectly safe to leave the windows open as the sea breeze would keep the room cool and aired which we did. The hotel is quite a way from State Street but its a either a pleasant walk or you can catch the shuttle (it's stops at 6 pm by the way) or a Cab. We did catch the Bus (14 or 20) but they go to the top end of State Street but the driver did tell where to get off. To sum up the location is good, the price was good given the area and for us it did what it said on the Tin.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Senojnala
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've been a guest twice at this nice little motel. The first time my husband & I stayed in the 3rd floor suite & enjoyed our four day stay immensely. My husband loved lounging in the recliner looking out at the beach through the large windows across the front of the suite. Having a full size dining & living room made it easy to have friends visit us in our room before going out for the evening.
The second time it was only myself & I stayed in a partial view room next to the pool. Of course. even though this room was much smaller it was also very comfortable. Everything was clean even though outdated. I can’t wait to see it when even minor details such as new carpet, bedspreads and wall pictures have been changed. The continental breakfast was wonderful each time I ate there. I am a sucker for sweets so I loved the pastries & muffins while my husband went for the quiche. Many times I have stayed places that advertised continental breakfast & it would basically be a cellophane wrapped pastry or a dispenser with cereal & a small cup of milk.

The motel employees are very helpful & some of the friendliest I’ve came across during any hotel/motel stay. The young men at the front desk (Chad & Brandon) have always been very helpful & friendly when I’ve needed anything. Lupe is a doll & seems to be very well liked. Hopefully they will all stay on through your renovations & you recognize the gems you have. It’s very hard to find great and loyal help today.

There are times when it is nice to stay at one of the large resorts but I would prefer to do that at a location where I would mainly stay within the hotel grounds. There are way too many things to do in SB than waste money on a place to sleep & if you want to exercise, then run on the beach or walk to the wharf. You may even be able to find someone to play volleyball with since the beach courts are right across the street. I highly recommend your hotel to all of my friends & it will be the only place I ever choose to stay in Santa Barbara. Good luck on your renovations. Oh by the way, your front & side gardens are beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
TonySantaBarbara, Owner at Cabrillo Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you for your comments and for being a valued returning guest. Yes you can get spoiled by staying in our 3rd floor Suite. Yes you are correct it has spectacular ocean and Channel Island views through the two large 8 feet wide by 7 feet tall windows. The large private balcony is also perfect for relaxing and enjoying your favorite refreshment while soaking up the views of East Beach and the Pacific Ocean. Most guests understand that we do not do a "cooked" breakfast are very satisfied with our continental breakfast choices including our well received croissants especially the popular Spinach and Feta or the Ham and Cheese. Our quiches equally are a hit with guests. Its always nice to hear that our staff is doing what they love to do....make your stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible. We will forward your kind comments to all our staff, especially Lupe, who is a 38 year employee and is liked by all. When our remodel is complete our returning guests will be amazed and most likely will be shocked that our prices will continue to be the best oceanfront value along Santa Barbara's pristine coastline. Pat from Arcadian Gardens takes pride in maintaining, expanding and improving our gardens and landscaping especially our new Ocean View Garden Terrace area with semi private ocean view patios where our non heated pool used to be. We still have our 87 degree heated pool by our ocean view lounge. While we will never be in the luxury category we will still gain new returning guests like yourselves that understand what we have to offer at a surprisingly affordable rate !