“Lovely place, even if it's a mile or so from the beach and downtown”

Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, even if it's a mile or so from the beach and downtown”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed in a huge apartment style room, with 2 bedrooms, sitting room and a kitchenette. Decor was a little dated but quaint. Overall, great value. Lovely swimming pool too. The only downside (and it's a small downside really) is that it's too far to walk to the beach or downtown. But then again everyone drives in USA so perhaps that doesn't matter!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed in the hotel for four days. My room was fine. I didnt plan on staying in there all day. I had family with rooms around the pool,and lounged all day. The staff was none stop cleaning the grounds. Everyone at the front desk was great. The only complaint i have is the pool and hot tub hours.. Needed em open later!! The price is a bit steep for what your getting,but its santa barbara what are people complaing about. .. Last but not least Ivan was the man in The Alves Cafe.. Good food,great staff, and one hell of a mojito!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My friend and I stayed at this hotel June 25-27, 2010. The hotel is in the middle of a decent neighborhood a few blocks down from State Street (the main drag with many shops, restaurants, bars).

It's an older hotel that hasn't been remodeled in a while. The wallpaper was peeling a tiny bit in a few spots, but it wasn't bad. The upside is that it was clean, quiet and roomy. It also provided one bathrobe and two chairs. The beds were a bit hard. Water pressure in the shower was excellent and the water got really hot, which is how I like it. We ate breakfast at the restaurant one morning and it was fine.

We paid $214/night, which I hear is about the cheapest rate you'll get in Santa Barbara in the summer. If I was willing to spend $300+ per night, I would have opted for a hotel at the beach, but oh well. This hotel was fine if you're looking for a less expensive option.

If you're into wine tasting, check out Cloud Climbers. We had a lot of fun with tour guide Joseph, who was laid back and fun while taking us to 4 wineries and having lunch at a vineyard.

For dinner, Holdren's on State Street was really good. Joe's was great for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank beach bum in ohio
SBHotelGroup, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Greetings from Santa Barbara, Beach Bum in Ohio!

I am happy to hear you and your friends enjoyed your visit to Santa Barbara and especially your stay at the Best Western Encina Lodge & Suites. Please know that based on your comments, our Housekeeping Team has refreshed the wallpaper in your guestroom, providing a lovely environment for our guests. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and hope to see you again during your next visit to Santa Barbara.

Carol Wolford, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Ewwwww!!! We didn't! We left. No refund for our $200 night that we didn't stay cuz it was so disgusting! I don't even know where to begin from the bathroom black hairs to the wallpaper covering up the mold. It is such a rip off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hadn't seen a Zenith TV in a while...
This place needs a serious makeover!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank artladyla
SBHotelGroup, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
Greetings from Santa Barbara artladyla!

You have many hotels to choose from when visiting Santa Barbara so I am terribly disappointed to hear you were unhappy with the condition of your guestroom. I am honestly shocked to read your review as our entire hotel team takes great pride in the cleanliness of our guestrooms and grounds. We are continually updating our furniture and décor and are in the process of replacing all of our TV’s with flat screens. Please know that I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team and we will do everything possible to ensure all of our guestrooms are cleaned to our utmost standards.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, giving us the opportunity to better serve all of our guests. If your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara, please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally ensure your next stay will be pleasant.

Warmly,

Carol Wolford
Best Western Encina Lodge & Suites
Fontana,Ca
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Where do I begin? I am currently staying at this hotel on spring break. I booked this hotel online for my family vacation. First when we got in the shuttle picked us and told us he would take us back to the airport to pickup our rental car, he told us to check with the front desk. When we did the front desk agent (Akio) acted very strange and said thats not something the usually do but he would do it this time. (Eventhough he had two guest how had just checked out waiting for their shuttle ride to the Airport) We decided to call a cab and he seemed relived .

When we got in our room was'nt quite ready and we were hungry and without our car yet so we decided to go to the restaurant . We arrived at 1:15 pm and the front desk agent said the restaurant would be closing at 2pm . We went directly to the restaurant and they had a wait person sitting in the restaurant and said they were closed.
we went back to wait in the lobby and told the front desk agent and he said the did'nt tell him but he really didnt seem to care.
This was very frustrating as I add specifically booked my hotel based on having a restaurant that was open for breakfast ,lunch, dinner and room service. This is what is posted on their website .

Now to the rooms . First off on the plus side it is quite large with a kitchen which is good for a traveling family of four. But OMG the decor is stuck some where between the 60's , 70's , and 80's. This would be such a great bargain if they spent some money and upgraded these rooms. Floral wall paper on every inch of the rooms, mustard colored tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. 70's plaid sectional sofa in the living room .
Even the nick knack decore in the rooms is old (I had a cookbook printed in 1955? in the kitchen) Nohing matches , this looks like stuff just thrown in the room!!!! And for the icing on the cake POP CORN CEILINGS????????? And how about adding a fitness room?

This place could truly be a jewel if the would THEY WOULD JUST SPEND SOME MONEY AND UPGRADE!
Unfortuately we wre stuck as we had prepaid and they had a no cancellation or refund policy. Frustrating because you only get so many vacation days and since there is not a whole lot to do in Santa Barbara we really wanted to stay in a nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ladyxmas
encinamgr, Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Dear Ladyxmas,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Best Western Encina Lodge & Suites. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and sharing your experience with us. Its guests like you who are the true travel experts.

As you can imagine it disappoints us to read your comments regarding your experience with our hotel and the Encina Café. We take comments such as yours very seriously, because we care about the quality of your experience from the instant you make your reservation to the moment you leave our hotel.

We do offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the Santa Barbara Airport as well as the Amtrak station. I apologize if you were given incorrect information and that we seemed confused at your request. Please know that I have addressed this issue with all of our guest service agents to make sure they understand our policies and pass the correct information on to all of our guests.

You will be pleased to learn that our restaurant, the Encina Café, is now under new management. The new management team is eager and ready to please all of our guests with quality food and exceptional service.

We are constantly updating our rooms and trying to make them comfortable for all of our travelers. I will personally go over the room that you were in and update it as much as I can.

I would like to have another opportunity to make up for the problems you experienced, and earn back your trust. I am certain that we have accommodations you will enjoy.

If you travel to our area again, please call me direct so I can personally assist you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel and for giving us the opportunity to better serve all of our guests.
penna
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We were tired from driving, and didn't want to spend a lot of money for just a few hours in a hotel room, and that is the only reason we stayed here. The rooms are like a collection of flea market items all thrown in a room with flowered wallpaper, painted paneling, outdated tile and shag carpet. I truthfully felt that they should pay me to stay here! The beds were hard and not well made. All the mirrors in the room are overwhelming and actually a little freaky. I have looked at past reviews and have noticed the trend that the owner responds to the ratings, and I appreciate that they seem to care about the comments they receive, so hopefully they will consider remodeling after reading this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
SBHotelGroup, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, March 18, 2010
Greetings Penna!

Please let me begin by apologizing for your dissatisfaction in your guestroom. We are fortunate to have wonderful staff who take great pride in the condition of our hotel grounds and the décor in each guestroom, which is why it is disappointing to learn that you were extremely unhappy with your guestroom.

I can assure you that we only provide the best carpeting for our guestrooms. We don’t believe in shampooing carpeting, rather we replace them as often as necessary. We’ve recently purchased new furniture for selected guestrooms as we are constantly updating our décor and furnishings. The mirrors in each guestroom were installed per AAA requirements and many of our guests like the added light they bring to the rooms and the convenience of their location. Please be assured that our housekeeping team will diligently inspect every bed and replace them as necessary.

If your travels bring you back or through Santa Barbara, I truly hope you would consider giving us another try. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to accommodate your reservation and select a beautifully decorated and comfortable guestroom to meet your needs.

Kind regards,

Carol Wolford
washougal, wa
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This was our second stay at the Best Western Encina Lodge . The grounds are hand swept each day, the rooms are quiet- no thin walls here! There is someone at the desk 24/7 to assist with concerns, make restaurant reservations or offer information. The "Daily Grind" is a 21/2 block neighborhood walk for great espresso and "downtown" SantaBarbara is a 5-10 min. drive. The on site restaurant was about to change management and was without merit on our most recent stay. This may change . Fortunately there is a great I HOP about half way between the Encina and town for a great breakfast! There is a Salon on site that seems popular.
We will stay here whenever we visit Santa Barbara.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple