“loved it”

Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed December 12, 2006

i loved this place. We booked it at the last minute and didnt regret it. The room was lovely and spacious and very clean.
The check in desk were very good i found and were only willing to help. The pool was nice too. No complaints at all about this place.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Clive Q
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn

Reviewed November 19, 2006

A bit far from the town but we loved the place a lot. We stayed for just one night but we never forget this nice place. The bus station is just 2 minutes away to take you to Santa Barbara. I would go there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank msvzebra
Reviewed October 25, 2006

I have stayed at the Pepper Tree Inn twice; the first time was in Dec 2003-Jan 2004, when the Army Reserve booked a block of rooms for us out-of-towners prior to our unit going to Iraq. I stayed there again in December 2004 when I returned from Iraq to close out deployment-related issues, but this time it was my choice to stay there.

Santa Barbara is an expensive resort area (residents of the area include Oprah, Michael Jackson, Dr. Laura, John Cleese, and other celebrities, and Fess Parker built one of the first resorts in town), and at first glance Pepper Tree Inn may seem expensive ($140 or more) for a not-so-fancy motor hotel type hotel, but it's really at the lower end of the price spectrum for this area. You may find less expensive hotels the further away you get from town. As it is, the Pepper Tree Inn is on State Street but at the far northern end of town, not in the chic downtown or beachfront areas, so you save a little $$$ staying here.

I concede that the rooms are dated, and the southwestern decor could be both cute and kitschy at the same time, but the staff was very friendly and attentive, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. If you don't feel like hitting a convenience store for some late-night snack attack, their lobby has a nice gift shop with plenty of munchies. They do offer high-speed Internet service, but I forget if it's wireless or Ethernet. I especially enjoyed the two outdoor pools and hot tubs. Just about every room has easy access to one of the pools and tubs.

There is an on-site restaurant that is nothing to write home about, but it doesn't matter...there are oodles of restaurants in the fast food and casual dining categories at that end of town in easy walking distance from the Pepper Tree. There is also a mall right across the street, and a strip mall about two or three blocks north. Of course, if you follow State St. south, you will wind up in the trendy downtown area where you'll find boutique shops and more expensive restaurants. You are about one mile east of the beaches at Pepper Tree.

The Pepper Tree Inn is is not the most fantastic motel I've stayed at, but I have pleasant memories of my stays, and I have few to no complaints (perhaps the only complaint is they don't accept pets). I rate the hotel a little higher than a comparable hotel elsewhere because of its convenient location to shopping and dining. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank MAJ_JBM
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I read the reviews before booking the room at the PepperTree. Our room was clean, it was quiet and adequately furnished. The decor was uninspiring but not objectional. The grounds were attractive and the property looked very well maintained. Everyone on staff who we encountered was pleasant. The amenities were good quality, bathroom a bit dated but efficient enough. (Could have used better lighting over the sink vanity)

All in all I can't complain about the condition of the room or location of the motel, it is on a central street and a short drive to anywhere, conveniently located across from a nice mall.

The one item that I failed to notice in previous reviews was the lack of comfort of the beds. Personally, I don't care how lovely a room looks if the bed fails minimum comfort standards. Our king size bed was hard as a rock. It was one of the most miserable nights sleep I had in many years. So as much as the Peppertree is a perfectly fine motel I would never consider staying there again unless they replaced their beds with sleep friendly mattresses.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NCALGAL
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We stayed at the Best Western Pepper Tree Inn for two nights. We were quite disappointed by the condition of our room. Our room was definitely NOT one of the updated ones, if updated ones do indeed exist at this hotel. The carpet was very dingy and old (it looked like it had not been changed since the 1980's). The bedsheets were not white, but a suspicious and worn patterned brown. The bathroom decor (tiles, toilet and bathtub) were very dated (think 1970's) and all materials were of the "cheapest you can buy" variety. The bathroom window was the horizontal glass slatted kind and offered NO noise insulation from the outside. We constantly heard traffic throughout the restless nights spent there. The exterior of the motel seemed to have been updated more recently than the room we stayed in. I noticed the spanish tiles on the stairway were nice and the overall appearance of the motel from the outside wasn't bad. This Best Western was very inferior to a Best Western that we stayed at last month in Capitola, CA. The maid service seemed to clean the room okay, but there is only so much you can do to make a room clean without much needed updates. $370 for two nights is not inexpensive and definitely warrants something a bit nicer, even though I went in not expecting too much. For the money, we wouldn't have minded something basic, as long as it was much cleaner. I stayed at the Lemon Tree Inn down the street a couple of years ago, and remember that to be a much better experience' although I haven't stayed there recently.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank fun2travl
Reviewed September 13, 2006

I spent a very enjoyable night at this hotel in September 2006 with my wife and two kids (3 and 7). I think it's a great value for Santa Barbara and I'd stay there again.

DETAILED REVIEW;

My wife is a light sleeper. When I booked online, I asked for a quiet location (second floor, away from stairs, housekeeping, icemaker, etc.), and the staff had the perfect room waiting for us. We had a nice view of the pool from our balcony without being directly over it. (By the way, the pool and spa close at 9:00 p.m., which is great if you prefer to avoid the noise that usually comes late-night swim-parties.)

Our room was spotless, the beds comfortable, and the grounds well kept. The pool and spa were also clean and well-maintained. There are actually two pool/spa areas on this property, so you're never crowded in the water. There's even a restroom by the pool so your kids don't have to rush back up to the room when they have to go...

We didn't try the restaurant for breakfast, but opted for fresh coffee and pastries from the Peet's just down the street (don't miss their amazing maple scones.) The restaurants in this part of town tend to be chains. Drive into town for better choices. Parking generally isn't a problem in SB.

If you have kids like me, you want a place with a pool -- but why pay a premium for a beach location in Santa Barbara when you can stay here for much less?

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Backroader
Reviewed September 8, 2006

After reading many reviews of santa barbara, we decided to take our chances on the best western pepper tree inn. We had researched many hotels, as we were travelling down the coast from San Francisco to Huntington Beach and decided that this hotel would provide us with a nice stay after all that driving. I couldn't have been more wrong!!! On our arrival, the staff at the desk were absolutely vile to us and point blank refused to help us with a minor request about our rooms. Our rooms were supposedly non-smoking but absoulutely stunk of stale cigarettes. The wallpaper was peeling from the walls and the decor was absoultely revolting. You couldn't swing a cat in the bathroom and the air conditioning unit was so loud, it kept us up half the night. Thank god morning eventually came and our whole party couldn't get out of their rooms quick enough. We were back on the road by 0800hrs!!!! Stay away from this shabby, vile hotel if you want a relaxing stay!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family