“Wonderful Place to Stay”

Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night here as we celebrated our 17th Wedding Anniversary. I found this hotel to be way better than a lot of Best Westerns, maybe that is why "Plus" is in the name. Our room had an apple and an orange, some Lorna Doone cookies, coffee, a couple bottles of Kirkland (Costco) water, and a little dish filled with candies. This is the first hotel (and I've stayed a many) that had a swivel sitting chair and a recliner. I liked that they have a microwave and a small dorm style refrigerator. I believe every room has a view of the pool and a balcony or patio if you are on the first floor. The balcony is quite long and has to good size sitting chairs which only take up half of the balcony. I was slightly off put by the long mirrored wall but opposite the bed but hey no real problem. The bedding looks more like a nice hotel in Vegas instead of a Best Western. I loved all the pillows that they provide. I believe there were 7 or more pillows of varying size and firmness.

The staff is very friendly and the hotel lobby has plenty of fruit (oranges, apples, and bananas) in addition to several coffees and several flavors of tea. I would so come back and stay here in a heartbeat. I know we were only here one night but given that Santa Barbara is a town full of bed & breakfasts (we stayed at a lovely one 16 years ago for our 1st Anniversary) and expensive hotels, I would stay here for a whole week if I were in town that long.

Room Tip: Since it appears every room has a pool view I don't think there is a "bad" room on the...

Reviewed May 17, 2013

It was my 1st time in the states and had booked it through Thomas cook and was not sure where to stay but my travel agent booked this place, was not sure what to expect but when I arrived and checked in I was greeted by friendly staff which is always a good start and they explained where my room was where I could park and a bit about down town Santa Barbara. The room was a nice size with a comfortable bed and plenty of pillows and if on an upper level like me a decent enough balcony to sit and enjoy the beautiful California sunshine, the rooms were clean on arrival with complementary water and other little things which were replaced daily when the maid cleaned the room, a decent enough fridge for me to put drinks in to keep cold for the trips I had planned.The 1 thing I would say is that the fan/air con was rather loud when put on high cold but I'm a fairly heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me to much. The pool area was nice an clean, the bar and restaurant next to the hotel were nice with friendly staff with a good selection of drinks and nice food in the restaurant if you didn't want to go down town. The staff could not be more helpful with things such as directions, calling cabs, recommending restaurants and helping when I left my expensive sun glasses at a particular restaurant. Santa Barbara is a really nice place and this 3 miles from down town Santa Barbara it costs $1.75 by bus to town or about $15 by cab. All in a nice place to stay and when I go back to Santa Barbara I will definitely stay here again and will definitely go back to the old kings road pub had some great nights in there great bar staff to
Ian Marsh England UK

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Ian30marsh
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed one night on way from San Francisco to San Diego and this was perfect. So easy to find.Check in was smooth and receptionist very friendly and informative. Decent size room just by the fire pit. Bed was very comfortable. We were asked if we wanted first or second. floor and opted for first. On reflection, 2nd may be a little quieter -you can hear people dragging cases, opening sliding doors, etc and groups seem to have their meetings by the fire pit so a little intrusive. Pool looked nice, but no time to use it. The gardener obviously does a good job as the grounds were very pretty with plants hanging over the balconies and palms dotted around. Hotel a little dated and the rooms but If we are back this way again, I would have no hesitation staying here. The only reason for 3 dots is that it is more basic than some places we have stayed.

Room Tip: 2nd floor as less noisy but beware, no elevator.
3  Thank Happyholidayer7
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This property is at the north end of State Street so is not convenient to the lower State Street shopping area but it is across the street from Santa Barbara's nicest mall. Our room (#305) was on the second floor facing State Street, with a balcony overlooking one of the pools. I would not select this room during the summer months as the noise from the pool area and the street would be very noticeable with the windows open. However, the room itself was very clean and comfortable. The beds were comfortable but I would have preferred percale sheets to the flannel sheets provided. The extra amenities were a pleasant surprise....great TV and DVD player, refrigerator, microwave as well as a coffeemaker and nice toiletries in the bath. In room 305 the AC unit was right next to one of the beds, which might be an issue during very warm weather. We visit Santa Barbara often to see family so will make the Pepper Tree Inn our new go to place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property away from the pool and State Street. I did not see an ele...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MaturePilgrim
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and it was brilliant. They were so friendly upon check in and there are free drinks available in the lounge if you have to wait or if you just want to relax. They recommended a few areas for us to visit which was nice and the lady behind the desk gave us a map on how to reach the shopping area. Santa Barbara itself is such a nice place and this was a great location. The room was lovely and we got a free champagne for being on our honeymoon! Could not fault this hotel at all. The hot tub outside was particularly nice, as was the fire pit below our balcony! Would highly recommend this hotel to couples and families alike.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hotelbuff_84
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here one night on PCH trip. Good location for PCH and only 5 minute drive to downtown Santa Barbara. Rooms are a little dated but clean and a good size - standard for a Best Western. Pool area and flame pit are nice. Free parking and wifi is a bonus. We walked across the road to the shopping mall for take out pizza, there is also a Whole Foods and McDonalds within walking distance. Beds are very comfortable but rooms are quite noisy - probably best to get an upstairs room if you can and unplug the in-room fridge!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms will probably be quieter
2  Thank TravelMad1983
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My Husband & I recently stayed here for 1 night on our Pacific Coastal Highway trip.
The Hotel is ideally positioned for this route as it is minutes from the PCH 1.on the out of town end of State Street.
When we arrived all the staff were extremely friendly & helpful. & gave us some great tips on where to go,what to see etc in our very brief 1/2 day in Santa Barbra.Thus we made great use of our time.
It came over as a "Family" run hotel which is lovely.
The room was spacious ,clean & very comfortable. The buildings are dated on the outside but this only added to the overall charm. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple