“Mixed Feelings - Will Not Return”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
CALIFORNIA
“Mixed Feelings - Will Not Return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have mixed feelings about the Old Yacht Club Inn and would not stay there again. My wife found it on Living Social and the price ($249 before tax for 2 nights), location and amenities sounded great. There was some good and some bad. We did not complain about the bad because we figured not much could be done about them.

Good:

Bikes were a great way to see the beach area and get around.

Breakfast was very nice although portions were small.

Location was 2 blocks from East Beach (but there is a big bad here also that is one of the main reasons for not returning – see below)

The staff was very helpful and nice. The housekeeper let us into our room when we arrived at the 2pm check-in time and no one was present to check us in. She showed up at 2:20pm so we checked in then. The housekeeper also found a pair of glasses that was lost the night before.

The porch is a nice place to sit and enjoy cheese and (very cheap) white wine at the 5pm social hour. There is also a nice patio area but we didn’t use it.

There was a Jacuzzi bath tub with 6 jets but we didn’t use it.

There was parking in the back and on the street.

Bad:

Our room was small. It was laid out well with a Queen bed so it worked. But, we spent very little time in the room except to sleep because it was so small. Other rooms may be larger. My disappointment is that we were not told it was so small when reserving it, and given the option to pay a little more for a larger room.

The location of our San Miguel room (2nd house, 2nd floor, back corner) was such that the Wifi was useless (it worked on the porch in the main house) and it was less than a block away from the train and the freeway noise. This made it very loud and difficult to sleep at night especially since several of our windows were broken and would not close all the way. I don’t think it would have matter much if we could have fully closed the 2 windows because it was pretty loud.

Parts of the house smelled old and musty. Areas of the B&B need a facelift. Our bathroom had mold in the bath/shower caulking, nicks on the furniture and walls, and a coax cable hanging from near the ceiling to the newer flat screen TV (did not receive any HD) on a wood stand. These are 2 old houses and there are antiques. But, everything should be in good condition.

The door to our room was extremely difficult to open. It required the handle to be turned as far as possible to the left, and then push hard with your shoulder to the door to open it. This was caused by 2 problems: the door fit in the frame such that the top 1/3 hit the frame, and the latch did not retract all the way. This clearly is not a new problem, and the Inn housekeeper has to experience it every day so it can't be a surprise to the management.

The queen bed was pretty firm and creaked anytime anyone moved. It was not very comfortable compared to other hotel beds (B&B and chains) that we have experienced (we travel a lot).

Room Tip: Do not stay in the San Miguel room. It is very noisy due to the nearby freeway and train. The door i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LUCKYME72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fullerton, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed in the Cottage a few times and always love it. This b&b is a few blocks from the beach and a fairly quick bike ride from state street. The proprietors have always been very accommodating and have a lovely breakfast every morning. The Cottage is a stand alone unit in the back. It is not huge but we like the privacy.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
So glad that you love our Cottage and return again & again! Taking the time to share your experience with other travelers is very much appreciated by us. Being just a block from the beach and a fairly quick bike ride to state street makes us really enjoy our location as much our guests do. Thank you for finding us always very accommodating & for sharing the privacy that you enjoy about the Cottage and The Old Yacht Club Inn with others.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. We were on a budget so the room we chose was a little small but with a cozy vibe. Enjoyed breakfast and chats with Coleen as well. Great bike selection for morning rides along the breach. Very short walk to the beach or corner to catch the trolly to State Street. The main room could use a new coat of paint to spurce up the place. Other then that, all was great and will return same time next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that you enjoyed your two night stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. Our bike selection does lend for leisurely morning rides along the breach. It's also a short stroll-1.5 blocks to the beach or corner to catch the trolley to State Street. Looking forward to seeing you same time next year. (We're painting the downstairs right now, as I write this!) Thanks for sharing!
Torrance, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

WARNING: The Old Yacht Club Inn does not come close to living up to its website. I have NEVER given a review anywhere, but after our stay there this weekend, I felt compelled. This B & B is in desperate need of a whole new facelift. I can appreciate old antique charm, but the Old Yacht Club Inn is just old and rundown. The owner assured me my room came with a patio. Her definition of patio: old dirty bench with small table in the front of the house underneath a window facing the street. Don’t be fooled when the website says there are bikes for its patrons to use. They literally look like they have been pulled out of a junkyard. It took my husband and I 20 minutes to find two that sort of worked. My seat kept falling off and eventually the whole chain on my bike fell off as I was peddling quickly along. Thankfully no one on the bike path was hurt, including me, as I was somehow able to maneuver my way around everyone and everything and steer onto the thick grass until I was able to come to a stop. Ironically, as my husband rushed over to help me on his bike his chain fell off! Our room smelled old and musty and the air was thick and muggy. There was no air conditioning or ceiling fan. The largest windows were painted shut so they couldn’t be opened. There were a few unpainted windows we were able to open but that did us no good as we were in a room facing the street and had no privacy unless we shut the drapes that then covered the breeze from the small windows. The toilet was loud enough to wake up the whole block. We ended up leaving after the first night and staying at the Motel 6 two doors down. Sadly, the Motel 6 was more comfortable (air conditioning and newly remodeled rooms) than this B & B. If you still decide to book a room here, you can say you were forewarned!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank boliviano39
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
The Old Yacht Club Inn has been in business operating as a Bed & Breakfast since 1980. If the things written by this writer were true we would no longer be in business. Guests like this are a nightmare for business owners and for other guests staying at a small property. We advertise honestly and prefer not to cater to guests such as this. The owner answers all phone calls & e-mails to the property and gives each caller personalized attention so that they get the best fit for their needs. When a potential guest calls and asks for specific amenities such as air conditioning, or something specific that we do not have, that caller is referred to a suitable property. ESPECIALLY on a summer weekend in Santa Barbara. We sell out anyway, as we only have 13 guest rooms and a 3 bedroom suite. Rather than book an unsuitable guest, it is ALWAYS my preference to refer that guest to a property that is a better fit for that particular caller than to "misrepresent" anything to the caller as this guest claims, as the accommodation will sell via phone, a "walk-in" guest or via on line booking to a guest that is looking for this particular fit. I am very clear, honest & up front about our property in photos, and in my verbal & written communications.

In this particular booking, the wife called to make the reservation after calling multiple properties. After speaking to her for a few minutes about our property she said she was going to cancel the reservation that she had made at another "hotel" and book with us. I reminded her that we are not a hotel, but a Bed & Breakfast and to make sure that she was able to cancel without any penalty before she booked with our property. She insisted on booking with us before canceling at the other "hotel" as she said they had only a 24 hour cancellation policy.

When she asked if we had air conditioning, I told her that we did not and explained that beach area homes in Santa Barbara do not have air conditioning. It is part of the beauty of being in Santa Barbara. We open our windows, maybe turn on a fan, if absolutely necessary, (which is very rare) and being only a block from the beach we smell .& feel the fresh ocean air. When her husband arrived to our property, he started ranting & raving about "no air conditioning" and yelling that he wife was told that the property had air conditioning.

This guests room is quite lovely. It does face the street, and happens to be a very large King Size room with private entrance, small electric fireplace, a 4 poster Cherry wood canopy bed, private bathroom, extra day bed to lay down & read on or watch the flat screen TV and a small patio outside of the room in addition to a large covered front porch a few feet away from the room & a large sun deck on the back of the house with lots of chairs, tables & umbrellas and antique fountain, custom made from the first California Cooperage Hot Tub. This guest actually called me to tell me that his room had no patio and no where to sit. Since I had recently arrived at the Inn and actually seen the patio within the hour, and the room is newly redecorated with a new a new chair recently purchased, I actually thought that maybe the guests who had departed the night before had taken our new chair. Hard to believe since no one has ever taken anything from our Inn before in the past. But this guest insisted that there was no chair in the room. However, when they left, my husband and I went into the room and what do you know? The chair and patio were still there.

Our B&B is located on a relatively quiet side street, a block in from the Beach. It's pretty rare to have such a nice quiet street in a California Beachy Neighborhood walking distance to shops, restaurants, wine tasting, etc. The main beach blvd. is a block away where the beach is so it's nice to have the location a block in, off of the main blvd. The Motel 6 property that this guest is referring to is on the same street that we're on, facing the street and does have air conditioning as most all motels do as there are rooms on both sides and in back of the room so it's not possible to get the type of air flow that we have in a B&B type home. But if a small, simple, inexpensive overnight chain motel, no breakfast, no patio, is what you feel at home with why not book that in the first place, shut all your doors & windows, blast the A/C and enjoy! One size doesn't fit all in this business. Do your shopping, take notes when you call a property or else you won't remember who said what and don't expect a Motel 6 when you book a quaint little bed and breakfast.

el Mar Drive is a relatively quiet side street with very little through traffic, which is quite rare for a neighborhood with such close proximity to the beach. East Beach is our beach here and it's Santa Barbara's best swimming beach and absolutely spectacular. Facing the street from our Inn and our Julia Metelmann Room are lots of palm trees, flowers, Victorian & Mission Craftsmen Homes and a brand new beautiful, newly constructed $4-$5million dollar Spanish Style Family Vacation Home. This is a fabulous location, a short 1 block stroll to the beach & walking distance to shops, the pier, restaurants with breath taking ocean views and walking distance to the Urban Walking Wine Tasting Trail. The bike path that runs along the ocean is also only a block away which is why we have free bikes for our guests to borrow. We buy used bikes, rather than new ones because in the past when we've bought the new ones they've gotten stolen from downtown when guests have locked them up and gone off for lunch or shopping. Since we've been buying the used bikes from a local bike shop, which cost us the same as new bikes in Costco we haven't had any stolen. Being a University town with 4 major learning institutions here, students tend to "pick up" a bike, ride it to their destination and leave it there. That seems to be Santa Barbara's most widespread crime-bike theft. (I used to work at the Sheriff's Department before becoming an Innkeeper and wrote multiple bike theft reports per day!) Also sent the crime reports to the FBI Quarterly and that was our highest crime reporting, if you can believe it. Being born & raised in New York, that was a new one for me. Hence, the used bikes seemed to save the day. I hope I've covered everything here and cleared up any misconceptions about our property. I know the 1 star rating from this former guest really lowers our rating on Trip Advisor but unfortunately most guests, stay and have a fabulous time and don't write reviews. They're happy, go home and go on with their lives. Then there are guests that love to be in an air conditioned motel room, which is fine for some travelers but what I find puzzling is with all of the listings, websites & photos on line is why they don't just book that to begin with.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Southern California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed for only one night and the room was small, no air conditioning, but was centrally located. We enjoyed riding the bicycles to dinner at Enterprise Fish Co and had happy hour at the Yacht Club. The breakfast was nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CaliforniaRiverGirl
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
The Old Yacht Club Inn has room sizes that range from small to very large suites with additional large separate sitting rooms and, of course are priced accordingly. Homes in Santa Barbara do not have air conditioning, it's the beauty of living in our Mediterranean climate, especially with our location being a block from the beach & sea air. We do have overhead fans when needed. Thank you for pointing out our central location and how much you enjoyed riding the bicycles to dinner to one of our local nearby fish restaurants after complimentary happy hour at the Old Yacht Club Inn. The breakfast was nice, you say so we're extra happy that you enjoyed that as well. Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback. Your Innkeepers.
Orange County, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We wanted a short getaway; when we checked in, front desk guy was just average, not cheery or hospitable- I was a little surprised since I was thinking, cute, charming - was hoping same for employees & the place itself. Well, we found a yellow stain on our bedsheet; my husband asked front desk guy if we could have it changed - front desk guy straight up handed him another flat sheet & fitted sheet, and did not offer to have housekeeping take care of changing the stained sheet.

I was pretty saddened & disappointed but we did not want to deal with complaining since we were tired & sweating (it was VERY hot in our room, even with all windows open & ceiling fan on). Besides, we were planning to eat breakfast in the mornings & did not want to have a bad experience with that too!

So yes, we ended up changing our own bed sheets! I have never done that or expected to do that AWAY from home on my VACATION. It was really disappointing.

For the price of the rooms, I was expecting not to have to change my own sheets & better customer service, so I would not choose this B&B next time we visit SB.

CONS: small room, ceiling fan was a bit loud on higher speeds, no air conditioning, train & freeway are super close so pretty noisy, room door was always stuck somehow & took many tries to open each time & required a bit of slamming to close it

PROS: quaint neighborhood, super awesome location close to beach, bikes available, delicious breakfast, plenty of parking in front & back of B&B

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house may be quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MissDvo
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed our quaint neighborhood with super awesome location close to beach, bikes available, delicious breakfast, plenty of parking in front & back of B&B We are going to do a little extra training this week about "handing guests bed sheets" if something like this ever comes up again. We've never had this happen, however it seems like common guest services for the Innkeeper to remake the bed for you. So, so sorry about that. I do apologize. We have very large rooms and suites and they are priced accordingly when you make your reservation. Larger rooms, suites come with slightly larger price tags. Not much higher, maybe 10, 20 dollars a day for large kings with either decks, balconies, French doors to open outdoor space-great for summer. Thank you for your feedback.
Temecula, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The cons: room was on the shabby side (bedding, bed, carpet), cheap "fireplace", dirty deck with no view, cheap wine and cheese hour, blah breakfast food that was similar to what you'd get at a breakfast chain like Village Inn (definitely not "gourmet"), unfriendly owner (Eilene)--did not come across as a people person like an innkeeper of a good bed and breakfast should, rooms are overpriced.

The pros: one block from the beach. That's it, sadly.

I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. There are so many good ones in Santa Barbara for the same price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Maria N
We apologize that you did not enjoy your room with private deck. We do not advertise having views and do not describe having views in our room descriptions. I was not at the Inn on June 23rd so I am very puzzled as to why you describe me as unfriendly as we did not have a chance to meet each.Our rates are very well priced and we are almost completely sold out for the next few months. The traveling public is very sophisticated, checks rates and availability and will not book overpriced rooms. The Santa Barbara waterfront area, actually all of Santa Barbara is very high end real estate but especially down by the waterfront where we are located. Our rates are reported statistically to us monthly along with other properties in Santa Barbara in whole and also broken down by area. We always fall in the lower price category and have not raised our rates in years in order to keep our property affordable for all to enjoy and return.

The pros: one block from the beach.