“A little disappointed & sad”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
Orange County, California
“A little disappointed & sad”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We wanted a short getaway; when we checked in, front desk guy was just average, not cheery or hospitable- I was a little surprised since I was thinking, cute, charming - was hoping same for employees & the place itself. Well, we found a yellow stain on our bedsheet; my husband asked front desk guy if we could have it changed - front desk guy straight up handed him another flat sheet & fitted sheet, and did not offer to have housekeeping take care of changing the stained sheet.

I was pretty saddened & disappointed but we did not want to deal with complaining since we were tired & sweating (it was VERY hot in our room, even with all windows open & ceiling fan on). Besides, we were planning to eat breakfast in the mornings & did not want to have a bad experience with that too!

So yes, we ended up changing our own bed sheets! I have never done that or expected to do that AWAY from home on my VACATION. It was really disappointing.

For the price of the rooms, I was expecting not to have to change my own sheets & better customer service, so I would not choose this B&B next time we visit SB.

CONS: small room, ceiling fan was a bit loud on higher speeds, no air conditioning, train & freeway are super close so pretty noisy, room door was always stuck somehow & took many tries to open each time & required a bit of slamming to close it

PROS: quaint neighborhood, super awesome location close to beach, bikes available, delicious breakfast, plenty of parking in front & back of B&B

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house may be quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MissDvo
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed our quaint neighborhood with super awesome location close to beach, bikes available, delicious breakfast, plenty of parking in front & back of B&B We are going to do a little extra training this week about "handing guests bed sheets" if something like this ever comes up again. We've never had this happen, however it seems like common guest services for the Innkeeper to remake the bed for you. So, so sorry about that. I do apologize. We have very large rooms and suites and they are priced accordingly when you make your reservation. Larger rooms, suites come with slightly larger price tags. Not much higher, maybe 10, 20 dollars a day for large kings with either decks, balconies, French doors to open outdoor space-great for summer. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Temecula, California
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The cons: room was on the shabby side (bedding, bed, carpet), cheap "fireplace", dirty deck with no view, cheap wine and cheese hour, blah breakfast food that was similar to what you'd get at a breakfast chain like Village Inn (definitely not "gourmet"), unfriendly owner (Eilene)--did not come across as a people person like an innkeeper of a good bed and breakfast should, rooms are overpriced.

The pros: one block from the beach. That's it, sadly.

I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. There are so many good ones in Santa Barbara for the same price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Maria N
We apologize that you did not enjoy your room with private deck. We do not advertise having views and do not describe having views in our room descriptions. I was not at the Inn on June 23rd so I am very puzzled as to why you describe me as unfriendly as we did not have a chance to meet each.Our rates are very well priced and we are almost completely sold out for the next few months. The traveling public is very sophisticated, checks rates and availability and will not book overpriced rooms. The Santa Barbara waterfront area, actually all of Santa Barbara is very high end real estate but especially down by the waterfront where we are located. Our rates are reported statistically to us monthly along with other properties in Santa Barbara in whole and also broken down by area. We always fall in the lower price category and have not raised our rates in years in order to keep our property affordable for all to enjoy and return.

The pros: one block from the beach.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed June 21, 2013

As I had some holidays which I wanted to spend alone in Santa Barbara, I decided to choose a B&B because they are normally more personal and often you can easily chat with other guests. When I arrived the inn-keepers were not there, but they had left the key for me to get in. I had chosen the Captain's Corner because I liked the name and it had a private little patio going out to the backyard. The room was quite big, decorated in an old-fashioned, but charming way. And it was quiet - I am really very, very sensible to noise, but it was really ok there. Maybe it was a bit dark, but that was no problem as I spent all the days outside.
The breakfast was wonderful. In the afternoon they serve local wine with some cheese and grapes, which is a nice idea, but as I did a lot of sight-seeing/ acitivites during the day, 5 o'clock was a bit too early for me. Maybe I was a unfortunate, but the other guests were nearly all couples sticking to themselves even at breakfast. Normally I don't have a problem travelling alone which I do quite often for work, but this was one of the rare places, I think even the first one, where I felt a lot of people looking bizarre at me because I was a woman travelling alone.
When I went out after breakfast the first day in the morning it was a real joy to discover the beach just a short walking distance away. I went running there everyday, which was wonderful. You can walk from the Old Yacht Club Inn easily along the beach to the center of Santa Barbara and Stearns Wharf.
Conclusion: The Old Yacht Club Inn is a nice guesthouse which I would mostly recommand for couples. It is quite expensive, but it's the same for all the other B&Bs and hotels in Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: I liked the Captains Corner where I stayed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Whoopie89
San Diego
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We came to stay two nights over Memorial Day weekend.

We enjoyed our stay. We had a nice room and a small deck for ourselves. But instead of the deck, we sat on the charming and spacious front porch in the evening.

The area was quiet and the staff was wonderful.

The breakfast part of the B & B was exceptional.

We WILL be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AguilaSanDiego
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review of your experience at the Old Yacht Club Inn
during your two night stay over the Memorial Day weekend.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your evenings sitting out on our front porch and found it to be charming and spacious.

Wonderful staff and quiet area is a plus an exceptional breakfast is such a compliment for us and sounds like it really added to the enjoyment of your stay.

Saying that you'll be back, is the best compliment you could give us.

Thank you so very much for taking the time sharing your experience.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had the opportunity to speak with the owner of the Old Yacht Club Inn (Eilene) during my reservation process. She is extremely friendly and knowledgeable, the rates are also excellent!! We are very happy with the place and have not even checked in yet.

Anthony & Darla

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your five star review of the Old Yacht Club Inn. I personally speak to all guests during their phone reservation process to be sure I can help them be situated in the best accommodation for their situation. I've lived in Santa Barbara for almost 40 years and love this city more than any place on earth. I love to help guests with whatever it is they would like to know-off the path little secrets, great places to eat, etc. Thank you so much for appreciating the extremely friendly and knowledgeable service that you experienced when you booked your stay with us and for acknowledging that our rates are also excellent! We are so delighted that you've be so very happy with our service.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the night before and the night of our wedding and was so happy we did. Our room was super cute and had plenty of room. The location was ideal, walking distance to the beach and the service was amazing. Everyone was so nice and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We appreciate your 4 star review of our property especially since you stayed here the night before and the night of your wedding and were so happy that you did! We're happy you did also and that you found your room super cute roomy, especially the night before your wedding. Walking distance to the beach is a plus. Thank you so much for pointing out that "the service was amazing and" that "Everyone was so nice and accommodating." That is exactly what we strive for. We hope you come back to visit us again very soon.
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had a small wedding in Santa Barbara last year and a friend thought this place would be great. We stayed one night! We had a room downstairs at the foot of the staris (an upgrade because it had a patio that looked at the driveway). The bathroom was clearly a converted closet, long and skinny. The sink was a triangle in the corner and smaller than a motor home. Two people could not even pass each other. The bed creaked and hit the wal every time you moved yet alone anything else. Ww had to put towels up so the headboard wouldn't hit the wall. The heater was a little pseudo pot belly stove and made so much noised when it went on so there was no sleep at all. (its was cold in January). Breakfast was not horrible but less than mediocre. Do not go. Santa Barbara Inn gave us a room with a view for less money. Stayed an extra night to make up for the debacle of this place.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Chrisptine711
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your free room upgrade with your private enclosed deck. Most of our bathrooms are small like you point out. When the home was built in 1910 it only had shared bathrooms and we converted all of the walk in closets into private bathrooms so that all guests would have private baths. In years past and in many B&B's it's still common for guests to share bathrooms. We decided that private bathrooms for all guests would be a better fit even if they are on the small side. In addition to the central heater in the home we also added small electric fireplaces and large ones in some of the rooms. They are all individually controlled so you can turn them down very low or very high depending upon the strength you need. I've never had anyone mention them being noisy and I use them in my own home and love them because you can turn them on for a while and each person can heat up their own room for as little or as long as they like in addition to the central heating. We just checked on this one and turned it up as high as possible and it is still not making any noise so I'm not quite sure what the problem was with it for you back in January during your stay. For breakfast we always have alternatives if guests have food allergies or would like an alternate breakfast choice. We're really known for our wonderful breakfasts and most people rave about them and ask for our recipes because they are not your ordinary diner food bacon and egg dishes that you can find almost anywhere. You mentioned finding another property and liking it better. That property is not a Bed and Breakfast. It is a standard hotel with standard rooms and does not include the breakfast, wine social, free bike rentals, beach chairs, and extra amenities included in your stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. However, not one size fit all in this industry and some guests prefer a shared balcony on a high traffic noisy crossroad over a private enclosed wicker furnished deck like the one you were free upgraded to. I'm surprised that the traffic noise did not bother you and a heater that you can turn off would. Also that you would prefer no breakfast as opposed to a full sit down breakfast being served to you, even if it was just our excellent fresh brewed coffee, home made granola and juice. This was clearly not a good fit either for you or for us however if you had let us know of your concerns during your stay we would have tried to make you more comfortable.