“Wonderful "getaway from stress"”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
Miami, Florida
“Wonderful "getaway from stress"”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This bed and breakfast is located walking distance from the beach in a quiet residential neighborhood. It is also a 2 minute drive from a grocery store. Yummy homemade breakfasts provided - filled your soul for whatever you were doing that day. "Social" wine and cheese in the afternoon if you were in.
Excellent host who was cordial and provided information although not very knowledgeable about the restaurants or wineries. But did go out of his way to assist us with written info and other places where we could get additional info.
We stayed in the Hitchcock House on the first floor with our own private entrance. The room was very spacious. However, if you have back problems or other "aches and pains, the mattress on the queen size bed will not be your friend --- it was lumpy and the springs were old, maybe like the large pictures on the wall of the 1930s individuals who lived there..... Remember this room is in the front of the house. Garbage collection, recycling trucks that hang out in the front, will wake you up and keep you up from 5 AM on. Sleeping with the windows open was out of the question and the room was "hot" inside even though it was October. The did bring us an extra fan to go with the ceiling fan, and it helped some. This is negative for the place and probably the loss of the 5th star.
Good value for the money - great attitude by all staff.
They have bikes you can borrow. Don't expect state of the art cycling! They were old but functional enough to ride around in for a few hours down to the beach.
If you are flexible and in excellent physical shape, great place. The positives outweigh the negatives.Check out your room location and your mattress.
Then - enjoy the beach and Santa Barbara.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lina C
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review.
Location, quiet residential beach neighborhood and yummy home made breakfasts with an excellent host is lovely of you to point out. We do have written information in the living room in a binder and in the brochures for guests to take. Lots of information in our local Independent News in all guest rooms and in the living room as well. Santa Barbara Magazine, Santa Barbara Dining are some of the written info provided for all of our guests. Please feel free to e-mail prior to your stay as well for recommendations about places to go and things to do. I love to recommend restaurants, etc. as I've lived here for almost 40 years and have really assisted so many guests over the phone or via e-mail prior to their arrival in addition to having the pamphlets, books, magazines and newspapers available in the living room. We apologize about the trash collection. They can be noisy but completely unavoidable....part of life. Fortunately they only come once a week. If ever your bed is not comfortable for you, please let us know right away and we'll switch rooms for you, as one size does not always fit all. The mattress you describe is brand new so it just may not have been comfortable for you. However, we do appreciate all of your feedback and value your input very much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We came to the Old Yacht Club very optimistic for a relaxing time near the beach and visiting family. We were greeted by a wine and cheese hour: very nice except the grapes were withered at the stems and the front room seemed musty. First impression, a little off. Our room was crowded and outdated. Some plugs not grounded; windows opened with an awkward contraption; there was no dresser, only an old wardrobe; and the door wouldn't latch properly. The bedding was old, and the bathroom had no little shampoo bottles like most b and b's have. Everything screamed of cutting corners. The free bike loan was a draw to us staying there, but the bikes I tried were in rusty and with had sticky handlebars from decayed handles. The flimsy window shade barely covered the window so light streamed in all night. The trains roared close by. The mattress seemed saggy. Not a great night's sleep. One sleepless night I read other Trip Advisor reviews on my phone (the free wi-fi NEVER worked) and almost laughed myself to sleep reading other traveller's woes that were so familiar by then.
I really looked forward to their gourmet breakfast in the morning...but was quite disappointed. served poached pears and pancakes, but nothing healthy. At most bed and breakfasts they serve jam with the toast, have cereals and fruit to choose from, but not here. Impression: cut as many corners as you can. We stayed a third day to get the half off third day deal, but never met the inn keeper. Since they don't have a refund policy once you are there, we stayed. I wouldn't have bothered to write this complaint filled review if my expectations based paying quite a bit for the room were half met. But because of the lack of care for details, the feeling of stinginess, and worn out stuff, I felt shortchanged. And knowing people come here looking for a restful romantic weekend, I would like others to have an accurate portrayal.

Room Tip: Don't stay in main house. Thin walled and not private. The wi -fi worked barely in main house an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Mandination
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
We appreciate your review and the recommendations that you have provided. As far as our inn being outdated please know that the building was built in 1912 and was the original yacht club, hence the name. With that said there are many nuances that come with it being an old building. There are wardrobes in a few rooms that the closets were converted into bathrooms so that each guest can have their own privacy. We do our best to keep our environmental impact as low as possible so providing guests with their own travel sized shampoo containers is one of the many things we do to accomplish this. Instead we use larger shampoo bottles that we can re-use.

As far as breakfast goes, each person has different needs and tastes, but along with poached pears you were served one morning our other morning breakfasts include: granola and yogurt, omelets, sourdough bread and fruit bowls with: cantaloupe, watermelon, apples, etc. Also, know that basic breakfast substitutes can be made for people who need something different do to food allergies or dietary requirements. If you were served breakfast then you did meet an innkeeper and they could have addressed any other issues you had. All you have to do is ask and we are more than willing to help.

Thank you for the feedback and we are sorry you were not pleased... again, we encourage people to talk with us while staying if there is anything good or bad, this is how we improve our experience for guests, B&B style is "family" style, which means we take the good with the bad and talk about it!

Best,

The Innkeepers

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Saunderstown, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Wish I would have read these reviews before my husband and I booked this B and B in Sept.
The only available room was The Bella Caruso at $249.00 The owner, Elieen, said we could use our Band B . Com gift certificate, which we did.The Caruso room doesn't look anything like the one in the picture...????? The kitchen was outfitted poorly and basically everything is in need of updating.
The light in the bathroom was poor, the tiles cracked, the toiletries cheap.We weren't able to attend the afternoon wine but, the breakfast was fine. I did make a call back to them the next day but, they never returned my call. With the $100 gift certif , we ended up paying $189. I'm not sure it was worth even that.This was our splurge on the trip, so disappointing.

Room Tip: The pictures they show and the actual rooms don't match.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Jane T
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
I'm so sorry you did not like our Belle Caruso Room. It's one of my favorites and our guests return again and again, year after year so I'm really surprised by your reaction. We actually do not stock the kitchen for a one night stay unless guests request in advance and there is a $35.00 cleaning fee for the service. This information is provided on the confirmation letter when reserving the Belle Caruso Room and explained at the time of the reservation. For guests wishing to use the microwave, refridgerator and coffee pot there is no charge, but for guests wishing to do heavy cooking there is the modest $35.00 stocking/cleaning fee which you were not charged. Most guests do not request the service for a one night stay. It's normally our long term guests who reserve Belle Caruso for at least a week - a month or two.
We've updated the bathroom since you wrote this. You're right it did have a cracked tile and did need a stronger watt light bulb in it so we did take care of that. Glad you got to use your gift card. Happy to extend that courtesy to you, especially since we were sold out and this was out last room. This room usually goes right away but I wish you would have gotten one that you enjoyed more.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in the cottage .... which was very expensive. they give you 99cent toiletries. The floor felt like it was going to cave in. The bed was old and not screwed in tightly, I thought it was going to break. The housekeepers missed our room all together. The first day the servers were not sociable, they served hard french toast. the second day the server was awesome and she was sociable and hospitable. We have been coming here 8yrs and this year will be our last. The owner does not care and the place has gone down hill.... B&B is about hospitality, a little bit more than a hotel.. The location is great, but I rather stay in the hyatt Santa barabara....... My tradition has just ended.

Room Tip: if you stay here for the location that's find but don't stay in the cottage until they remod...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sunnie1000
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
We appreciate your review and are disappointed we did not meet your expectations. We wish we would have known sooner so we could have rectified things with you. We have repaired the loose bed frame in the cottage, sometimes things become loose or break over time and usually we catch them but sometimes we have guests let us know, which is helpful to us in keeping up our level of hospitality. If your breakfast was not up to par, we would have immediately made you another batch or something different. IN a B&B we rely on the intimate environment and hope guests feel comfortable and well served. We have solidified and fine tuned our Innkeeping staff for consistency and the utmost customer service experience for our guests. We hope you reconsider giving us another chance! Thank you for the feedback and we hope your next visit to Santa Barbara will be worth it!

Best,
-The Innkeepers
stockton, ca
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed in June using a discount voucher. The free bike loan was the Draw for me. I liked my room in the main house and enjoyed the many nice touches of wine reception, sherry in the room, evening desserts. The location was great, breakfasts and coffee delicious, and a good amount of room relaxing on the porch. I had a problem with my bike which I didn't report because I was just too tired from traveling that day. I would love to go back but would hesitate to pay full price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chlene36
We are so glad that you appreciated your room in our Main House, the nice touches of the wine social, sherry in your room ,our evening desserts, location, breakfasts, delicious coffee and relaxing on our front porch. I'm sorry you were too tired to report your bike problem as we would have taken care of it for you right away or given you another one. Thank you for all of your valuable input.
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here using a Groupon in June 2012 with my mom. I loved the location, close to beach, market, and Shuttle. It has wifi only in the main house, which is not convenient for guest in the other house. The breakfasts were excellent and other guests were fun to chat with at meals and down times. The room was nice, but the patio had cheapo resin chairs and very sad plants in boxes. It was nice, but not for $200.

Room Tip: Main house
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank shirleen064
So glad you loved our location, market and shuttle. We actually do have free wi-fi in the Main House as well as in the Hitchcock House and Cottage. Sounds like you met some fun guests to spend time with and enjoyed some excellent breakfasts. Our average daily rates are lower than average for this area. I see you are from Yorba Linda where rates are much lower than on the coast of Santa Barbara where real estate is amongst the highest in the nation. We keep abreast of monthly reports and pride ourselves in keeping our rates lower than average so guests may enjoy the waterfront area without breaking the bank. We will check the plants that you point out. They may need a little extra plant food this time of year. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. My thumb is not the greenest!
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We just celebrated our 20th anniversary at the Old Yacht Club Inn and enjoyed it very much. We used the bikes they provide to ride up to the Mission (a bit of a trek, but we did it!). We also biked to Stern's Wharf. We enjoyed our room, visiting with the staff and other guests, and the food. Oh my, the food was delicious! We enjoyed breakfast and wine/hor dourves. We were treated so well. When I asked for the granola recipe, they kindly sent it to me. So yummy. This inn is only a short block to the beach and we would gladly come again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lori n
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary while staying with us here at the OYCI! It sounds like you even had time to get some good exercise using our beach cruiser bikes. We are very pleased that the staff could be of such service to you and appreciate the positive feedback on our homemade granola and other food portions. We hope that you have mastered the granola recipe and look forward the possibility of you staying with us again.

Kind regards,