“not worth the cost”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
Dallas, Texas
“not worth the cost”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in the cottage .... which was very expensive. they give you 99cent toiletries. The floor felt like it was going to cave in. The bed was old and not screwed in tightly, I thought it was going to break. The housekeepers missed our room all together. The first day the servers were not sociable, they served hard french toast. the second day the server was awesome and she was sociable and hospitable. We have been coming here 8yrs and this year will be our last. The owner does not care and the place has gone down hill.... B&B is about hospitality, a little bit more than a hotel.. The location is great, but I rather stay in the hyatt Santa barabara....... My tradition has just ended.

Room Tip: if you stay here for the location that's find but don't stay in the cottage until they remod...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sunnie1000
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
We appreciate your review and are disappointed we did not meet your expectations. We wish we would have known sooner so we could have rectified things with you. We have repaired the loose bed frame in the cottage, sometimes things become loose or break over time and usually we catch them but sometimes we have guests let us know, which is helpful to us in keeping up our level of hospitality. If your breakfast was not up to par, we would have immediately made you another batch or something different. IN a B&B we rely on the intimate environment and hope guests feel comfortable and well served. We have solidified and fine tuned our Innkeeping staff for consistency and the utmost customer service experience for our guests. We hope you reconsider giving us another chance! Thank you for the feedback and we hope your next visit to Santa Barbara will be worth it!

Best,
-The Innkeepers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
stockton, ca
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed in June using a discount voucher. The free bike loan was the Draw for me. I liked my room in the main house and enjoyed the many nice touches of wine reception, sherry in the room, evening desserts. The location was great, breakfasts and coffee delicious, and a good amount of room relaxing on the porch. I had a problem with my bike which I didn't report because I was just too tired from traveling that day. I would love to go back but would hesitate to pay full price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chlene36
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
We are so glad that you appreciated your room in our Main House, the nice touches of the wine social, sherry in your room ,our evening desserts, location, breakfasts, delicious coffee and relaxing on our front porch. I'm sorry you were too tired to report your bike problem as we would have taken care of it for you right away or given you another one. Thank you for all of your valuable input.
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here using a Groupon in June 2012 with my mom. I loved the location, close to beach, market, and Shuttle. It has wifi only in the main house, which is not convenient for guest in the other house. The breakfasts were excellent and other guests were fun to chat with at meals and down times. The room was nice, but the patio had cheapo resin chairs and very sad plants in boxes. It was nice, but not for $200.

Room Tip: Main house
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank shirleen064
So glad you loved our location, market and shuttle. We actually do have free wi-fi in the Main House as well as in the Hitchcock House and Cottage. Sounds like you met some fun guests to spend time with and enjoyed some excellent breakfasts. Our average daily rates are lower than average for this area. I see you are from Yorba Linda where rates are much lower than on the coast of Santa Barbara where real estate is amongst the highest in the nation. We keep abreast of monthly reports and pride ourselves in keeping our rates lower than average so guests may enjoy the waterfront area without breaking the bank. We will check the plants that you point out. They may need a little extra plant food this time of year. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. My thumb is not the greenest!
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We just celebrated our 20th anniversary at the Old Yacht Club Inn and enjoyed it very much. We used the bikes they provide to ride up to the Mission (a bit of a trek, but we did it!). We also biked to Stern's Wharf. We enjoyed our room, visiting with the staff and other guests, and the food. Oh my, the food was delicious! We enjoyed breakfast and wine/hor dourves. We were treated so well. When I asked for the granola recipe, they kindly sent it to me. So yummy. This inn is only a short block to the beach and we would gladly come again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lori n
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary while staying with us here at the OYCI! It sounds like you even had time to get some good exercise using our beach cruiser bikes. We are very pleased that the staff could be of such service to you and appreciate the positive feedback on our homemade granola and other food portions. We hope that you have mastered the granola recipe and look forward the possibility of you staying with us again.

Kind regards,

The Innkeepers
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I am a local and had my In Laws in for the week. I put them up at OYCI. It was smelly and unkept.
I have met the Inn Keeper or his wife. My In Laws only stayed 1 night but the next day was filled with complaints and unhappiness. I went to get the luggage for them and I was was expecting to find that they had exaderated the situation. From the Bed to the Shower was Not a $200 a night room or Inn. I was not impressed with talking to Eileen, she was flippent and kurt. Then I heard her talking very poorly to whomever was in the kitchen at the time. It was like a visit to my Rude aunts house when I was young. Proffessionalism, Pride, and courtesy...Is what I am looking for this time around.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Robert L
We were quite perplexed by your review as were not made aware at the time that anyone was unhappy. We would have made any arrangements possible to make the stay more enjoyable or would have discussed cancellation options with you. We are sorry for the disappointment. Our staff is much improved since the time of your stay, we have a wonderful group of on-site Innkeepers who are available throughout the day, know Santa Barbara well and understand what hospitality means. We are constantly seeking improvements and a top notch experience for our guests. We have also updated and upgraded many of the rooms, amenities and property in general. Thank you for the feedback and we apologize for your less than top notch experience.
-The Innkeepers

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had read mixed reviews of this property, but decided to give it a go anyway. I thought the innkeepers were pleasant and didn't have any issues with them not being available. Breakfast was fine and served as people arrived. I didn't make the afternoon wine, so can't comment about that. There is a shuttle to the wharf and downtown only a couple of blocks away and parking was adequate and available. I stayed in both the Bella Caruso room and the Beach House room. The Bella Caruso room was not what was pictured and described on their website when you click on the link for further information regarding the room. The french doors from the room open to the kitchen and then to the deck as described on the main page. The kitchen has a fridge, microwave, and stove, but not much in the way of anything to cook with, (no spatulas, few dishes, etc.) though there were some pans. The Beach House room occupies the top floor of the other property. The "private" bathroom is across the top of the stairway from the master bedroom and is shared with the other rooms. There is some type of office/storage in the house as well. Would be fine for a family or group, but not intimate. However, the master bedroom was nice. There is no fridge in this room.
The location was a little off the beaten path and I probably wouldn't stay here again for the price, as I paid the top of the price bracket and felt that was high for what you get.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Readytogotoo
Glad you found our innkeepers pleasant and available but sorry you missed our afternoon wine social. The photo of of our Belle Caruso Room is exactly as pictured on our website and I'm wondering if you may have seen it on another website while you were browsing the internet. The private bathroom for the Beach House Suite is only for the guests occupying the Beach House Suite. It is situated in the private hallway for the guests occupying the 3 bedroom suite. You are correct, it is generally reserved by a family or group. It's not a small intimate room for a couple.. None of our rooms have fridge's, only the Belle Caruso Room, as you point. We do have a fridge in the dining room for our guests to use. "Off the Beaten Path?" I don't think so. Our location is the finest Santa Barbara has to offer. A block from the beach, walking distance to shops, restaurants with breathtaking ocean views, walk to the pier, bird refute, the Urban Walking Wine Trail, the Natural Habitat Zoo, the bike path a block away. The "Beaten Path" is right outside the door of the Old Yacht Club Inn and is what almost every reviewer raves about. This is location, location, location!
Arizona
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was our first experience at a B & B. Everybody was extremely sweet and helpful. The food was excellent and meeting other people from different places was very enjoyable. The Old Yacht Club Inn just needs a bit of TLC to make it into a very special and grand place to stay. As it stands, it just appears tired and old.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see pictures of the rooms or, if you have the time, visit the inn prior to your stay an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ninonote
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for this fine compliment...."A nice home away from home!". Since this was your first experience at a B & B we're so happy that you found the staff to be extremely sweet and helpful, and our food to be excellent.food was excellent We've been landscaping, updating, etc!!! Constantly at it. Glad you had such a good time meeting people and staying with us. Hope you come back soon and thank you for sharing your thoughts.