“Great place in a great location”

A White Jasmine Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Carlsbad, California
“Great place in a great location”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you've been to Santa Barbara before, you know one of the great things is how walkable the main area downtown is. It's always great to stay somewhere near that, but I've also found you don't want to be on top of it because it can get loud especially on weekends. White Jasmine Inn is a great little b&b about 3 blocks off of State, the main drag. Just far enough off to be peaceful. I recommend staying in the Victorian Suite. It's not huge but it's decorated nicely and has a/c which is good for Santa Barbara's infrequent heatwaves. It's also across the street from the main house and a little more private. The innkeeper, John, was more than happy to oblige our request for a vegan breakfast and it was very good. He's also great to talk to, and is a really friendly guy, as others have noted. This was my wife and I's second stay at White Jasmine and next time we stay in Santa Barbara we'll most likely stay again.

Room Tip: Go for one of the suites, especially for the a/c!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I spent the weekend here for my birthday, and stayed in the Wild Rose suite. It was clean, the linens were comfortable, the the hospitality was gracious. You get to pick what time you want breakfast to be delivered and it comes in a basket, with all the fixings. French toast the first day, and quiche the second with fresh juice and OJ. This place is a gem, and you definitely get your bang for the buck with how reasonable their rooms are priced. It was about 5 blocks from all the hustle and bustle of downtown SB, and it was easy to walk everywhere. I'll definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: The Wild Rose room is great for solo travelers and for couples who REALLY like to be around each oth...
1 Thank Yvonne H
Buenos Aires
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This inn is like a house of the fairy tales. It´s warm inside and outside. The backyard is a wonderful garden, where you can leave the time passes, you must go to understand me. The hot cookies prepared on the table in the afternoon complete the warm air you feel here. The room we stayed was "Garden", little but beautiful with all the details of decoration you can imagine. Even the house remains the old fashioned way of the decoration, the bathroom is completed new. In the morning you hear two taps at the door and when you open it, you find a sweet basket with the breakfast you can enjoy in the living room or in the dreamt backyard. We are so glad to discover this inn. John is a nice host too.

Room Tip: The inn is in a residential neighborhood, so there isn´t any noise at all. Garden is little, others...
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent two nights in the Summertime Suite. It was nicely furnished with lots of storage and the bed linens were high quality. The breakfasts were amazing and John gave us terrific service. There are lovely gardens and courtyards and you can have your breakfast at your room or in the garden. There were other guests but we never heard or saw them until we checked out. There was off street parking but we did not need our car because we walked just a few blocks to the shopping and dining. The inn is in a lovely urban neighborhood with Victorian homes & Arts and Craft bungalows.

• Stayed September 2012
El Segundo, California, USA
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the White Jasmine Inn this past March and had a lovely stay. The manager is the nicest guy; personable, informative, and welcoming without being overbearing or creepy. The place itself is so charming. It is in a great location, very close to State St but not so close the traffic and crowds bother you. The rooms are well kept, clean, well decorated. They're small for a hotel but this isn't a hotel it's a B&B (people!) If you need a large room in Santa Barbara you're missing the picture. BUT I must say, a beautiful view of the mountains from the bed in our room (Wild Rose). Speaking of the bed, VERY comfy. I couldn't believe how comfortable the bed was, of all the hotels we've stayed at, this one is tops. The breakfast each morning was carefully prepared and always tasty. Our room had a fireplace which only added to the charm factor (although lighting it can be a bit intimidating). Every aspect of this place exceeded our expectation and we would highly recommend a stay if you want to break out from the norm. Thank you White Jasmin Inn for the nice stay and we look forward to staying again in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I started coming to Santa Barbara 2 years ago as a caregiver so I could drive an elderly man to visit his daughter. My heart was captured on my first visit and I was fortunate to return 4-5 more times. On each visit, but one, I stayed at the White Jasmine.
They're situated just a few blocks from State St., Starbucks, Open Air Bikes (for a rental), Crush Cakes (former winner of Cupcake Wars), and a thrifty 50 cent trolley that runs every 1/2 hour down to Stearn's Wharf.
Personally, I come to Santa Barbara to walk, bike ride, peruse the shops, and if I have extra time I take off for Solvang or Los Olivos for the day. But......if I did want to stay close by my room the White Jasmine has 2 beautiful areas to relax in. At the main house is a shaded tropical garden (only missing maybe a water feature of some kind, (personal preference) and across the street at the Victorian house there is a porch swing sitting in a full sun garden. No matter what room you stay in both gardens are available for your leisure.
Most of the rooms have whirlpool spas, some have jacuzzis. The beds, pillows and bedding are so comfortable that after a busy day of sight-seeing I sleep like a baby.
I'm a young 61 year old and I can't recommend the White Jasmine highly enough! The tv's are small but I don't come to Santa Barbara to watch tv, in fact I prefer to keep it off. The Castaway Room is my favorite because it's set back on the front porch of the Victorian House. It's shady, secluded and a good size. I also enjoyed the Hideaway, in the same house, because it is simply that, a hideaway from the rest of the rooms. It's a little smaller than the Castaway, but at night you can go out to the garden that is right out your side door and enjoy the peaceful quiet while looking at the stars. The Summertime room is good if you need two beds, there is a separate bedroom with a queen bed and a day bed in the entry room.
Now, if you want to hang out in a room that feels like you're in the your own home there is the Nouveau Suite. It's in the Main house, to the right, and has a window bench in the sitting area looking out at the rose garden in the front yard. It has a walk-in closet, small bathroom with a shower, and a back porch outside that is for your use only. Perfect for getting some sun during the day or simply sitting in the Jacuzzi watching the stars at night.
Be ready for a warm welcome and a delicious breakfast delivered to your room every morning at the time you request. (3 choices of time) Think of the White Jasmine as your home away from home, because that's how Marlise and John will make you feel.
By the way, the gentleman I brought several times to visit his daughter passed away, but I still visit Santa Barbara because I just fell in love with the place. And even though I've looked at other B&B's and hotels I always return to the White Jasmine. For the rates and the comfort and Marlise's blueberry pancakes!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Alameda, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed in the Lavender room for a night. It is an ok size room for the price and have everything I expect for a small hotel/inn. Here is the pros and cons for the room.
Pros:
*Clean
*Good location
*The mattress is comfortable
*Good water pressure
*Good quality linens
*Great breakfast
*Reasonable price
Cons:
*The bed has a squeaky sound when move
*No AC. (Even though a ceiling fan was provided and the room with two opened windows, it is still feel too warm in a summer night. )
*TV is small (it is not much bigger than your regular computer screen, maybe 21”?)
*Shower space is somewhat uncomfortable. (Shower is under a sloped celling space, the shower head mounted too low and I had to bow down to wash my hair. For your reference, I am only 5’-3” )

For the price I paid for, it is still worth it. Since all rooms are unique. Pros and cons I mentioned in this room may not exit in other rooms.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend you to talk to the friendly owner/receptionists before booking the room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jciurwta, Manager at A White Jasmine Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and while we feel encouraged that you enjoyed your stay with us we hope to improve the various compromises for you and other guests. There are a couple of items I wish to touch on however:
1. Regarding the lack of A/C ,we had installed this in the past and the primary reason we have uninstalled it is due to---believe or not---popular request. Many guests indicated that it is nice but celing fans are preferred. Yes that is one of our warmer rooms since it is upstairs but we have installed three attic fans in recent months and we have a second (tower) fan in the closet---which you may have forgotten(?) about and we can, as I had stated, always bring another (if it is necessarry?).
2. The second thing is puzzling. It is the shower comment. Yes there is a sloped ceiling but is is on the other end of the tub(?). Further, I went into the tub (I am 5' 10" and the showerhead was eye level(?). Not to split hairs but I would think that you wouldn't need to bend down at 5' 3"(??). Either way it is a comment to the public but a question for you as well. Perhaps there are other psychological factors(???) which I have not considered in depth. Perhaps people expect showerheads to be much higher(????). I am grasping. Your direct response to us via email would be much appreciated and help as in directing our resources and prioritizing our efforts in improving our product!

Hope to see you soon and have you enjoy Santa Barbara with us again!