“Delightful stay in Santa Barbara”

A White Jasmine Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“Delightful stay in Santa Barbara”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed 4 nights at The White Jasmine Inn. The owner (Marlies) and manager (John) were very cordial, and helped us with all requests. The Inn itself is located in a nice quiet neighborhood close to shopping and attractions. On weekends, wine and cheese are in the parlor for guests. Breakfast is either brought to your room or outside. Eating breakfast outside was in a beautiful setting. The food and preparation were outstanding. At times, parking is tight (the lot is small), but parking is available in front of the property. Whenever my wife Lisa and I return to Santa Barbara, we would stay again at The White Jasmine.

Room Tip: Room sizes vary, be specific in what is ideal when requesting a room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This B&B is the place to stay ... A great value which is clean, charming and totally comfortable and friendly. The breakfast we had was served in a gazebo on the pretty grounds .. The pancakes were the best we have ever had .. All the food was fresh and tasty! The manager, John was accommodating and friendly ... He made us feel right at home! The bed was comfortable and had many pillows which was great!! We look forward to going back .. They even have parking available in the rear of the house .. It's also walking distance to shops and restaurants .. Can you tell, we loved it!! Mike and Kathy Moses, Chicago, Illinois

• Stayed August 2012
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

With school around the corner, and myself being a Teacher, I booked a last minute getaway at the White Jasmine Inn with my husband. Upon arriving, we met our host in the main house, and then he escorted us to our room. We stayed in the Hideaway, and it was just that! Tucked behind a garden, it was very private, extremely quiet, with darling peach and gold decor that surrounded us in the sleeping area, and bathroom. It was very relaxing. Victorian with modern accommodations such as a wonderful jacuzzi with tub and shower. Loved the enchanting fireplace, which came on with a flick of a switch. The bed was wonderfully comfortable complete with a down comforter. We enjoyed movies on the flat screen and loved walking into town. Several movie theaters are within walking distance as well as the exquisite Restaurants that rival any we've ever been to. We loved Palazzio's, The Enterprise Fish Co. and Andersen's Danish Bakery! Don't miss a chance to visit lovely Santa Barbara, and when you do, make sure you stay at the White Jasmine Inn! Come back home relaxed and refreshed, and you will absolutely LOVE the hot breakfasts you get at the Inn. We had scrambled eggs in a delicious thick fresh roll, scrumptious fresh fruit and orange juice, and the following morning an amazing spinach & artichoke quiche with fresh fruit and a melt in your mouth bun with homemade jam! So delicious and brought right to your door!! Make a memory....visit the White Jasmine Inn and relax!!!! You'll be glad you did!! We are!!!! ♥

Room Tip: The Hideaway is very private and quiet! You get a very peaceful night's sleep!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fallbrook, California
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I would not recommend the Bourdeau suite for the following reasons:
1. Toilet area does not have a door for privacy and the tub, sink, toilet and dressing area are all in one room. If you need to use the toilet, your mate has to wait.
2. There is no counter space at the bathroom sink to place your toiletries etc.
3. They installed a French door between the bedroom and the kitchen area that was designed to be used on an exterior wall which is huge trip hazard. They should at least install transition strips on BOTH sides of the door.
4. WIFI is not available in this unit, only in the main house or court yard.
5. There is a window above the bed without a window covering so if you want to take a nap during the afternoon, you have the sun light blaring in.
6. They devided this small bungalow into two units, so you hear your neighbors.
7. My wife complained about the towels being rough.

Area is very convenient to downtown. We came in on the train from San Diego and it was a short cab ride to this hotel.

We LOVE Santa Barbara!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Al C
jciurwta, Manager at A White Jasmine Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Bed and breakfasts are, typically, historic type quaint homes which are converted into inns and are not custom built. Many of these establishments, typically, try to keep step with certain standards in the industry as well as their own---if it's higher. We fall into the latter category. While we endeavor in rectifying any amenities or features, etc. and making it more practical while retaining its charming quality there are still aspects of the inn which remain less practical than we would like. Many of these were already corrected and upon popular request undone by us such as A/C in some of the accommodations of which various guests commented over time with regard to their noise, esthetics, etc. While all rooms offer ceiling fans and other types of fans we still offer several accommodations with A/C. Further, we do make a concerted effort in staying on top of any inconveniences and tend to them consistently as we wish to constantly improve our product for our guests.
Specifically regarding your stay with us and the comments you have made please note the following:
1. The 'toilet area" which you referred to is within a greater bathroom area with it's door! So while you can dress there there are other areas within the suite where you can dress and I, therefore, don't understand this comment. The bathroom is absolutely private;
2. The counter space, immediate to the commode and sink, is minimal for the previously stated reasons;
3. The French door separating the sitting and dining room of the suite from the bedroom was specifically chosen for its heavy duty nature for sound deadening and other qualities which affords the bedroom area more privacy. The transition strips were in place a few years ago but for the reasons mentioned previously taken out. Not many people have come forward to mention it. We may consider re-installing them;
5. The window above the bed can be best explained by, again, our previous generic explanations;
6. The Bungalow is divided into two units with heavy duty double doors in between. We had had a series of guests reserving the entire cottage in recent times---slightly more frequent than normally so---where we have opened up these double doors (which is quite the norm) upon the guests’ request. We usually have an extra layer or two of sound resisting barriers between the doors when the two units, which make up the cottage, are rented out separately. At some point we had stopped inserting these additional sound resisting layers, due to: 1. The frequency of the cottage rentals (as mentioned); and; 2. in some cases where the entire cottage was reserved but the principal party making the reservation was not as cozy with the other couple as guests often are and requested that we keep the double doors intact but without the additional layers of sound resistance.

In terms of numbers 4 and 7 as well as any other apparent compromise you indicated experiencing with us I believe that the manner in which you conducted yourselves here and to some degree your various expectations contributed quite significantly to your compromises. Please note the following:

1. When you arrived I proceeded to cover several things that the guest should and/or would want to know. This is standard for us. Your wife seemed more intent on asking frequent and specific questions and less intent on absorbing what I had to say as she consistently interjected. That is not terrible as it is not the first time I have encountered this but you and her missed some points for your benefit. Upon taking you into the suite I led you towards the bathroom with her trailing us by the suite entrance and as I was about to cover the things about the bathroom you may have wanted to know, before I even began, standing by the front door she asked me if the Jacuzzi worked and a few other questions followed. One of the things the two of you missed which I would have covered is that you have your own WI-FI network in your suite and that the main house network would be weak by your suite. We have WI-FI everywhere. If you had told me of this I would have marched on to your suite with my trusted notebook PC and looked into it for you;

2. later, your wife mentioned the shower curtain rod falling and mentioned that she had hung some wet articles of clothing on it. I told her that there are hooks for these and the rod was not meant for that. I was certainly not admonishing her but the reasons that I mentioned the hooks were two-fold: a. The manner in which she mentioned this to me made me believe that she thought there was something wrong with the shower curtain rod, and; b. that is, in fact, why the hooks are there.
3. immediately after I checked you in and your wife in to your suite she proceeded towards the main house and followed me and requested different towels and commented that she thought they were a little rough. I suggested that she may be using the spa towels. Nevertheless we gave her a second set of towels.

While we do, of course, endeavor in improving the inn independent of any outside influence we value feedback from our guests in helping perpetuate and enhance an inviting atmosphere. However we hope and expect a certain level of understanding and the application of common sense from our patrons in arriving at such harmony.

We thank you for your patronage and welcome you back n the near future.
Visalia, California
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Lavender Room in the main house of the White Jasmine Inn for 2 nights. We were there for my husband's yearly medical check-up at the Sansum Clinic. The Inn is located on the same street as the Clinic although it is too far to walk. However, the Inn is just a few blocks and an easy walk to State Street, the main shopping area. The room was spacious, airy, exceptionally clean and the bed was very comfortable. The host, John, was very accommodating and helpful throughout our stay. The breakfasts were outstanding and, in fact, my husband said the omelet we had one morning was the best omelet he had ever eaten. Since there is no dining room available, the breakfasts are either delivered to your room or, as we chose, to the very lovely gazebo area outside. We will definitely stay there again.

1 Thank Cartdriver
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Garden Room, on the second floor of White Jasmine Inn. The room is small, but the bed was great with a good mattress and nice linens and the room was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was big enough with an excellent jacuzzi tub/shower. The room faced the back of the house and was very quiet, Breakfasts were good and they catered to my food allergies. The house is surrounded by a garden with beautiful flowers and it was conveniently located.
It was quite warm the weekend we were in Santa Barbara and the room was a bit too hot (no a.c.) in the late afternoon, but that wasn't much of a problem as we weren't there long during that time period. The rest of the time, the temperature was perfect.
There is a afternoon "tea" with cookies or cake in the sitting area. While we were never there at 5pm when it was served, the leftovers were nice to find after dinner for a sweet snack before bed.
We felt this was a great value for the height of the season.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My companion and I wanted an overnight getaway during a hectic time and wisely chose (based upon their own website) A White Jasmine Inn. We stayed in the Lavender room, on the second floor, and it was exquisite in every respect. The bed was extremely comfortable, the pillows were brand new and wonderful, the flat-screen tv was mounted up and out of the way and delivered a high quality signal, the decor was wonderful, the couple who run the place are extremely pleasant, helpful, friendly people, and the street is remarkably quiet, even with the windows open. The bath was more than adquate, there was a coffee maker on a shelf inside a closet, and breakfast, which was out of this world, was quietly delivered to the door at the appointed time. Orange juice in a Mason jar was a nice touch, all the appointments were first rate, and the rear garden is a wonderful place to sit and sip wine and talk or just hold hands. The location is hard to beat, a couple blocks off State Street. Wi Fi worked flawlessly, the complimentary cookies were excellent, and all in all A White Jasmine is a place I would want to return to when we have more time to enjoy the wonderment. Extremely reasonable price for all you get, too. Can't say enough good things about it. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Just go to the website and look at the rooms. The descriptions are accurate as are the photos.