“Anniversary Stay...”
Review of Cheshire Cat Inn

Cheshire Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I proposed to my wife on the balcony of the White Rabbit room 11 years ago Valentines Day. We try and get back on our anniversary's. We left Santa Barbara this morning after 3 wonderful nights at the Cheshire Cat. And, of course, we stayed in the White Rabbit room. It's cozy, comfortable, and quiet. The full breakfasts on the weekends are superb. Everyone is extremely helpful in making our stay a very wonderful memorable weekend.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 17, 2010

This place is so cute! We were there in the spring, so the flowers were all in bloom and the grounds were immaculate. The staff is incredible and makes you feel at home. They found out it was my birthday weekend and balloons and a card greeted us in our room with a Happy Birthday wish. We stayed in Alice's room. It was so nice, clean and full of light. The outside patio was nice to enjoy our breakfast each morning. The breakfast was so yummy! The Inn was nice and quiet, comfy bed, had 2 great nights of sleep. We were sad to leave. It is a great place to stay in Santa Barbara. I highly recommend the Cheshire Cat Inn.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

After much time spent reviewing Santa Barbara accomodations, we chose the Cheshire Cat Inn. During our four-day stay in early May, we came to really appreciate the location, staff and accomodations. The inn is located just one block from State Street, but the lovely neighborhood is quiet and safe. We were able to easily walk to restaurants, downtown and even to the waterfront (a nice, brisk twenty minutes). Our room was comfortable, the continental breakfast during the work week was ample and the full breakfasts during the weekend were varied and tasty. Bharti, our inn-keeper, was very friendly and accomodating, and answered all kinds of questions. A wine reception was offered at 5:00 every evening, with a nice array of hors d'oeuvres. What I'll remember most, however, were the gardens! Absolutely gorgeous (see pictures). We highly recommend staying here and would definitely return!

Reviewed May 3, 2010

The Cheshire Cat Inn, a BnB, was such a sweet surprise. I booked it sight unseen, although I had one friend who had been there many years earlier. I was unsure of the location and thought it was closer to the beach. However, it is further up State St. and couldn't have been better situated. We walked State St at least 3 or 4 times in the three days (2 nights) we were there. Twice we walked all the way to the beach and each time we were surprised to be there already! The grounds are lovely and the breakfasts so delicious. The room was spacious and comfortable with warm robes ready hanging on the bathroom door. I'm trying to think of a negative so the review is 'real', but honestly, I had a really sweet time there. I will definitely go back!

Reviewed April 16, 2010

We had a great one night stay. The rooms are beautiful, large and well decorated. The staff, particularly Connie, were friendly and very helpful. It's a quiet location, particularly in Tweedledee where we stayed. The location is really very convenient, if you know SB. The bottom line is that it is a very professionally run B&B that meets all expectations.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Cheshire Cat Inn for my 15th birthday last week for three days. All I wanted was to get away from the house for my birthday instead of gifts, so I suggested Santa Barbara because I love the beach and the wharf there with all the shops. So my dad went online to find a place we could stay at that I would enjoy. I immediately wanted to go the Cheshire Cat Inn when he mentioned it because I also have recently been into Alice in Wonderland so we all thought it was a perfect choice. It may have been for only three days but I felt so at home and relaxed I didn't want to leave! I recommend the Prestbury room for space and quality. The sofas are so soft and comfortable and the fireplace keeps you nice and warm on cold nights. My favorite part of it is the hot tub outside. There's no better feeling than stepping into steaming hot water when it's cold out and looking up at the stars above you. The complimentary robes are comfortable and warm too. Don't expect food in the kitchen for you. Bring your own stuff unless you wanna waste time at the market on your trip or plan to eat out at every meal and snack time. However, there is a cabinet with coffee packets, hot chocolate packets, coffee mate, a selection of teas, and sweeteners which was nice. There's also an big arrowhead water jug that will last a whole trip. Besides that, there's a continental breakfast on week days we had that included homemade granola, raisin bran, corn flakes, hard-boiled eggs, raisin bread, bagels, instant quaker oatmeal packets, whipped cream and jam, mixed fresh fruit, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, orange juice, tea, and the best fresh baked scones ever! Oh and in our room, we had a cute little refrigerator, toaster, oven, stove-top, and microwave that really came in handy. There's also a plasma screen tv and dvd & video player. I suggest if you have bad back problems or can't sleep on a hard surface bringing something to make the beds softer because they're a little hard I must admit. But that's the only complaint I have. During the day, make sure to go down state street and the wharf to shop and eat. You will find the best selection of food from Indian to Thai and chocolate shops to health food cafes. Our favorite place to eat was Pascucci which had a huge variety of Italian food, Tuscan atmosphere, and amazing garlic bread. The Santa Barbara zoo is great for kids and isn't too big or small. If you're an art connoisseur, I recommend going to the museum of art and the county courthouse where there's amazing murals. I personally love the wharf and riding down Cabrillo on a 4 person bike! For the best fish, go to the fish house. I had the macadamia encrusted halibut with a pineapple cream sauce served with steamed veggies on a bed of rice. (sounds good doesn't it?) I substituted the white rice for pineapple fried rice to achieve optimum pineappliness! Anyway, back to the Cheshire Cat Inn, in the evening, go to the main inn using the code they give you to get in, and they usually have a plate of desserts under a glass lid on a table. When I was there, they had brownies and the best almond coconut cookies I've ever tasted. Now if you're a health food nut or are watching what you eat, you should probably bring some of your own food maybe for breakfast or snacks or something although they do have eggs and fruit for breakfast if your ok with that. For lunch, try the natural cafe on State St. where they have a delicious variety of healthy foods and shakes such as whole wheat/ soy cheese pizza and tofu salads and garden burgers(don't be fooled by the names because they're soooo delicious!). I got the peanut butter shake and substituted the ice cream for soy ice cream and added banana to it and it was the best shake I've ever had. You can't even tell soy was in there! Going back to breakfast again, there's an IHOP literally right down the street of the inn on the corner if you're not interested in what the inn provides. My dad and I jogged to it in no time so it's very close. That's one of the great things about the inn is that your close to just about everything. Before we left for home, we stopped off at the beach near there and walked down it. It was relaxing and beautiful and a perfect ending to our trip. I hope we can go there again someday.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lizziedarcy15
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We recently stayed at the Cheshire Cat in the White Rabbit suite, it was delightful. The room was very comfortable and quiet, had a lovely balcony overlooking the gardens. Our last visit to Santa Barbara we stayed at the Four Seasons Biltmore. We chose the Cheshire Cat because our son & daughter-in-law live down the street. This was every bit as nice a room and service as the Four Seasons and a perfect location. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple