“Loved it!”
Review of Cheshire Cat Inn

Cheshire Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I were so sad when we saw that our normal B&B in SB was turned into student housing. So we decided to try the Cheshire Cat Inn, it was lovely! The staff was friendly and very hospitable. The room was clean and comfortable with high quality bathroom products. They served wine & hors d'oeuvres in the evening and had coffee ready bright and early. Breakfast was fresh and delicious. We loved being so close to State St. and the grounds were beautiful, the Inn even had a hot tub inside of a gazebo. Very romantic, perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the rear of the property are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nadine G
There are newer reviews for Cheshire Cat Inn

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My mom and I were here for 3 nights in February and loved it! One block off of State St. and close to the Mission and highway. The hosts were excellent and paid close attention to detail. The amenities were fantastic... Wonderful, homemade breakfast, evening reception with wine & appetizers, and nice touches in our room. When I return to SB, I'll be back at the Cheshire Cat inn. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you are after a B&B in Santa Barbara then this is the place for you. Situated in a quiet district that is just a short walk from downtown. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. A continental type breakfast is included and is of good quality. Between 5 and 6 pm hors d'oeuvres and wine are provided, and this makes this B&B stand out from others.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed here with my partner while travelling down the coast of California. The location of this beautiful b&b is fantastic: leafy streets and within walking distance of all the attractions and beach. The rooms were large and spacious with an old fashioned charm. The service was great, with homemade cookies each night and hosts that know the area well. The breakfast was fantastic (outside in the morning sun), and the complimentary wine and cheese served each afternoon is a great bonus and a great way to get to know other guests! Would definitely go back

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Great base for a S.B. getaway. Location is one block off a quiet area of State Street yet close to a number of excellent eating and shopping options.

Looking for a relaxing weekend getaway and this was a nice option. Comfortable common areas and plenty of nice places to relax in the yard. Afternoon reception was great to transition from day's adventures and relax before the evening. Breakfast was good and comfortable.

Be mindful some rooms are on a fairly busy street so road noise can be an issue with windows open. Bed was super comfortable and Inn provided a quick retreat from the hectic pace of State Street and the pier.

Room Tip: select room off the street
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We are not used to B&B and had decided to stay at the Cheshire Cat Inn. We stayed in a large, nice and quiet room; the hosts were sympathetic, the complimentary 5 to 6 wine and hors d'œuvre and at breakfast were succulent and the staff very helpful and respectful.
The area where the Inn is located in a residential area and is close to good restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I wish I could say what it's like to say at this inn, but unfortunately their customer service was so poor that I never got the chance. The inn is just down the street from where my wedding is taking place, so I thought it would be a perfect place for my guests to stay. I e-mailed them asking if they had availability and gave them the date of my wedding. I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned the word wedding, because I received a short, rather rude e-mail that they had a two night minimum and would be unable to accommodate my guests. Despite the tone, I apologized for not giving them the dates we were looking for, which was indeed 2 nights. They responded, again in a short, terse manner, and said that they were "unable to provide the block requested due to prior commitments to other clients." On their website it indicates that they had 18 rooms available. They just didn't want my business, I guess. If they don't do room blocks I would have been happy to give the guests the hotel info and let them book individually, but since the e-mails I received seemed so rude and that they didn't even want to work with me, all I can say is that I can never recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
CheshireCatInn, Manager at Cheshire Cat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Brargaret,

In reply to your recent reservation inquiry regarding a block of rooms, it was not my intention to come over as terse. Rather, believing that you must be busy with wedding planning and logistics, I simply wanted to be direct, informative and efficient so that you could move forward with your important plans. In retrospect, I should have better conveyed that we do not accept group bookings unless the group were to take over our entire Inn. Drawing from over our 25 years of experience, we have come to understand that groups can be disruptive to other guests and detract from the quaint and quiet atmosphere which the Cheshire Cat strives to provide. As a small property, the interaction between parties of people, no matter how reserved, can create noise and result in other interruptions to the detriment of the individual guest. As I am sure you understand, this is a difficult balance to achieve and a situation where we could stand to lose significant revenue as well as reputation. Moreover, in order to protect the Bed and Breakfast experience, our policy must favor the individual guest over that of the group.

I sincerely hope that you can understand our position and do believe that if you were to ever stay at the Cheshire Cat or at any one of the other wonderful small Inns in Santa Barbara that you would understand this dilemma. I do apologize for coming across as insensitive or unhelpful and reiterate now as I did on my initial email thanking you for considering our Inn and wish you all the success in finding a wedding venue for your guests.

Yours sincerely,