“Cosy”

Ranked #1 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Cosy”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We are not used to B&B and had decided to stay at the Cheshire Cat Inn. We stayed in a large, nice and quiet room; the hosts were sympathetic, the complimentary 5 to 6 wine and hors d'œuvre and at breakfast were succulent and the staff very helpful and respectful.
The area where the Inn is located in a residential area and is close to good restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I wish I could say what it's like to say at this inn, but unfortunately their customer service was so poor that I never got the chance. The inn is just down the street from where my wedding is taking place, so I thought it would be a perfect place for my guests to stay. I e-mailed them asking if they had availability and gave them the date of my wedding. I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned the word wedding, because I received a short, rather rude e-mail that they had a two night minimum and would be unable to accommodate my guests. Despite the tone, I apologized for not giving them the dates we were looking for, which was indeed 2 nights. They responded, again in a short, terse manner, and said that they were "unable to provide the block requested due to prior commitments to other clients." On their website it indicates that they had 18 rooms available. They just didn't want my business, I guess. If they don't do room blocks I would have been happy to give the guests the hotel info and let them book individually, but since the e-mails I received seemed so rude and that they didn't even want to work with me, all I can say is that I can never recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
CheshireCatInn, Manager at Cheshire Cat Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Brargaret,

In reply to your recent reservation inquiry regarding a block of rooms, it was not my intention to come over as terse. Rather, believing that you must be busy with wedding planning and logistics, I simply wanted to be direct, informative and efficient so that you could move forward with your important plans. In retrospect, I should have better conveyed that we do not accept group bookings unless the group were to take over our entire Inn. Drawing from over our 25 years of experience, we have come to understand that groups can be disruptive to other guests and detract from the quaint and quiet atmosphere which the Cheshire Cat strives to provide. As a small property, the interaction between parties of people, no matter how reserved, can create noise and result in other interruptions to the detriment of the individual guest. As I am sure you understand, this is a difficult balance to achieve and a situation where we could stand to lose significant revenue as well as reputation. Moreover, in order to protect the Bed and Breakfast experience, our policy must favor the individual guest over that of the group.

I sincerely hope that you can understand our position and do believe that if you were to ever stay at the Cheshire Cat or at any one of the other wonderful small Inns in Santa Barbara that you would understand this dilemma. I do apologize for coming across as insensitive or unhelpful and reiterate now as I did on my initial email thanking you for considering our Inn and wish you all the success in finding a wedding venue for your guests.

Yours sincerely,

Andrea Dunstan
ct
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in the queen of hearts room at the Cheshire Cat one night and had a great experience! This was our first B&B stay and it exceeded our expectations. The innkeeper was very accommodating to my boyfriend's gluten intolerance and the wine and hors devours they have in the evening are tasty. Would stay again!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cassidy S
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

The Cheshire Cat Inn was comfortable and had a lovely hors d'oeurves and wine hour as well as one of the best and most plentiful of breakfasts. Cookies by the fire after we returned from dinner. I highly recommend staying here while in Santa Barbara. The I keeper was helpful with suggestions as to where to dine and directions to several attractions.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Irvine, CA
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was our 4th stay and although we always have an enjoyable visit, this time there were a few annoyances. The main reason we've stayed here before is not only the lovely location (although Chapala can be a noisy side street) but the charm of the entire inn. This is the first time there have been young children at the inn and it was distracting having 2 toddlers running around during breakfast and again at the evening wine and appetizers. We are doting grandparents but would never ever consider bringing them to a B&B..it is just not appropriate and this alone would make us reconsider our next stay.
The sheets and towels are showing wear (the sheets especially were very worn and rough) and should have been changed out on our visit last year; we only received one set of soap and shampoo for a 3 night visit (thankfully we also bring our own); there are no screens on any windows which I find odd because we do have mosquitos and flies in Southern California!
Connie is a very gracious and hardworking host, and the owners need to pay some extra attention to their inn. I had previously written these notes privately to the owners and also shared them with Connie, but have received no response 2 months later....

Room Tip: Alice's Room and the White Rabbit have a nice balcony and are more quiet than the rooms on the C...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CheshireCatInn, Owner at Cheshire Cat Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your recent stay was not up to our normal high standards and please rest assured that I will be diligent in solving the issues you’ve pointed out regarding worn sheets and towels as well as shampoo replenishment. It truly is a disappointment to me that your experience was marred with these oversights and wish I could have corrected them whilst you were in house. The disruptive atmosphere you encountered is also of concern as I do understand that the concept of an Inn does not usually include small children but we are bound by California law to accept them. While not allowed in the main houses, we do accept children in our cottages and on occasion they could be present at breakfast and during our wine and cheese hour. Your experience, however, has made me more aware of this important matter and I will consequently review our current policy so that is not intrusive into our future guests’ environment. Lastly, to address your commentary about window screens, I have added this valid point to our list of improvements and thank you for your constructive observation.

I regret that you did not receive a timely reply to your previous communication but realize that it was sent while I was out of the country. Meanwhile, I hope you will return again to the Cheshire Cat and ask you to contact me directly with any future bookings.

Best regards,

Christine Dunstan
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We were passing through Santa Barbara and stayed here for 1 night. It is located near the downtown area. A Victorian style home with a fireplace in the lobby area. This is where they serve wine, cheese, and appetizers in the early evening. The room upstairs was on the small size but decorated nicely. We had a queen bed, which was comfortable. The breakfast is the morning was excellent. Had a nice fruit salad and Danish pancakes (which were delicious). They also had a sideboard with bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, etc. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side of the house away from the busy street and didn't hear any noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Cheshire Cat for 3 days in January 2014. This little B&B is simply wonderful. Terrific rooms - we stayed in the delightful Alice's room - great location, wonderful staff and a lovely breakfast with something different each day. Afternoon wine and tasty snacks were a lovely touch. We really did feel we like we were in wonderland.
As for Santa Barbara - we loved it!!

Kevin & Beverley Smith
Swansea, Wales

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely but Alice's room was particularly nice with a private balcony overlooking t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple