“OK place to bring your dog but not much more” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Del Mar

Casa Del Mar
Ranked #8 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“OK place to bring your dog but not much more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

We were looking for a place to get out of the heat of LA for a night that also allowed us to bring our dog. This place fit the bill except that the only room available was the Deluxe Suite, the priciest one of all. We took it even though at 2 bedrooms it was too much for our needs. You can't find that many places that take pets.
Were it not for their liberal pet policy we would not have stayed there, nor would we return if we were pet-less. This is a very old place, and despite the recent remodeling done, things like shower floors, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, windows, and furniture have an older and somewhat worn-out feel to them. Plus, the hotel lacks air-conditioning which normally isn't a problem in Santa Barbara, but was that weekend. They had ceiling fans which sorta but not quite did the job. The bed was nice and the room was clean, however. The kitchen area is fairly spacious and has a table.
The grounds weren't all that impressive. Cramped and bit more the feel of an older apartment house than a "charming hotel". Lobby area was nice, but somewhat spartan. Wine and cheese was served in the late PM, however, the wine was a very mundane jug wine from the Central Valley - not all that good.
Breakfast was barely adequate - the standard cold food offerings, but the only fruit was bananas. Juices were only Orange and Apple. There was no hot food available.
Location-wise, it is very convenient to the beach and some nice green areas and restaurants around the beach.. This hotel is an area of similar 50's/60's vintage places- some of which appeared to be conversions from apmt buildings, as did this place. Overall, we had the best room in the joint and we came away with an "eh, it's OK" kind of feeling. For the price paid, that just isn't good enough though.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

This place was the best lodging choice I made for my 5-day visit to Santa Barbara, and trust me, I did tons of research on various web sites before I decided to come here.

LOCATION:
Located close to highway 101 and State Street (where all the action is) and within walking distance to Stearns Wharf, the location couldn't be more perfect. It wasn't hard to find parking right at the door of your room or at their designated covered parking spots, so it made it very convenient for ins and outs.

ROOM:
This was my first experience at a Bed and Breakfast. I appreciated the concept, but am really far too young to appreciate flowery wallpaper and handmade quilts. It just isn't in my generation to enjoy those personal touches. But the personal touches I absolutely enjoyed in the room was the smell of fresh flowers as you stepped into your room. And God forbid, if your flowers started to wilt, you'll be sure to come back to a fresh stem after housekeeping made their rounds. I was sooo impressed.

I got room 28, located right on the corner of Bath and Mason. The door to my hotel room was RIGHT on the street. I felt a little exposed, and never had my blinds up because I was on the first floor and there were always people walking about because we were in a good walking location to the wharf. My door didn't have a chain or a latch, which made me a little uneasy. It's something I would suggest to the management to add for security.

My room had a pivoting flat screen, desk, ceiling fan, shower with body soap and shampoo, a separated sink, full kitchenette complete with minifridge, microwave and stove and a nice walk-n closet with shelves, hangers and ironing board.

I must tell you, my first night wasn't great. The bed was a little too soft for me, and I woke up with the sorest back ever. So since I didn't sleep well, I could not get the buzzing noise of the ceiling fan out of my head. I don't know what it is, but for the proceeding 4 nights, I didn't turn on the ceiling fan (wasn't hot at all) and managed to sleep well and like a baby, and my back was totally fine. If I was able to sleep in some more, I would, because I felt so at home.

BREAKFAST:
Simple. Continental. Which meant bagels, pastries, cereal, juice, coffee and tea. The greatest thing was that they had blueberry muffins that were warmed. I felt a little cheated when I realized their "breakfast" meant continental and not a heartful, hot prepared breakfast... but at the same time, if I wanted to enjoy their breakfast, I would lose sleep time. Grabbing and going actually worked better for me, as they didn't start serving breakfast until 7:30AM, and I needed to be out the door by then. I never attending their wine and cheese session because I was never around and don't drink. Their cheese selection looked pretty basic.

SERVICE:
A little on the casual side, but they gave me what I needed, so I'm satisfied. They gave me a little saucepan so that I could boil water for tea in my room. They had great information about nearby restaurants and things to do in the lobby. They were able to direct me to a nearby Albertsons with an area map. My only quirk was that they tried to sell me stamps at a higher price.

Housekeeping was great. They gave me fresh flowers, and made my room very welcoming when I came back from a long day of workshops. I was so glad to hang out here, and didn't want to leave.

IN COMPARISON:
While I was here, I also drove around and checked out some of the restaurants I was considering while researching for places, and I hafta tell you, (including the "one" on the other side of the corner of Bath and Mason Street) after staying at Casa Del Mar, I wasn't impressed.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank iliketo-yelp-com
Mitchell, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

After looking for months, word of mouth convinced me to book two rooms for the middle of May. We never heard train nor highway noise. Street noise when we had our window open (our adult children had a courtyard room and did not hear any street noise - and just a little "office" noise, but not enough to want to change rooms the three nights we were there) and that breeze was great, but when we shut the window, there was little street noise. We were a few steps from the street light to cross to the beach. Left to Stearns Warf (and to State St. where we had quite a walk north to the main shopping area) and on to East Beach. Right to the Marina, the whale watching excursions, Endless Summer, etc. restaraunts, a public swimming pool and a couple shops. The flowers were magnificant: from the walkways, from the windows. Only a jacuzzi but we were too busy to need a pool (and in the middle of May, it was cool). Sambos was right around the corner, to the north was some neighborhood pubs/cafes. We loved the location and like someone said, the mattresses were awesome. The carpet was clean but not quality, or the installer was not an expert, but it wasn't a hazzard. For $169.00 and $179.00, we were very satisfied, did enjoy the wine and cheese one of the three nights that we were there. We stayed three more nights at the Hyatt at West Lake (Thousand Oaks) and did not enjoy that anymore. Their mattress wasn't even as good!!!! Enjoy Santa Barbara.

• Liked — Closeness to the beach
  • Disliked — Some may want a pool. No internet that I saw, was available. Our party brought a laptop so no problem
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Dyer
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

Out of all the places to stay at in Santa Barbara I have to believe this one is at the top of the list behind the four seasons.It was a beautiful room.We had the 1 room suite and it was huge!The bed was amazing.Everyone always complains about the parking but the are spots in the back of the hotel that are covered.Although my wife's sister and parents did get a ticket for parking on the street on the weekend.The breakfast didn't start till 10:00 am one day because someone didn't show up to work or something.This place is in a ideal location.If you go to Santa Barbara make sure you stay at the Casa Del Mar!!

• Liked — The Huge room!!
  • Disliked — The tv could have been bigger!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank allsportsfanG
San Anselmo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

For the money, this hotel was great. Close to the beach and within walking distance of lots of activities. I think the Casa del Mar had a nice charming old Santa Barbara vibe. The mission style architecture was cool and the suite was large and fit 5 of us perfectly. We would return. The other reviews are right: the breakfast wasn't much, but hey! it was included.

• Liked — Big suite, mix of new and old
  • Disliked — lack of parking
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank NVRam123
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2006

Here’s what worked out well:

The place is within walking distance of the Wharf and Marina
The room remodel job went pretty well
The grounds look good

Here are some major concerns:

This place is too close to Highway 101 & The Train Tracks
(Too Much Noise At Night)

The Breakfast is average at best

It’s a major walk to the center of downtown

Room 36 needs a new carpet

Where room 36 is concerned, unless you’re okay with no privacy, sleeping w/ the windows open will not be an option because it overlooks the spa

The walls are thin meaning you can join in on your neighbor’s conversation if you wanted to

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank David F
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

We stayed here for 2 nights in October, as part of our travels from San Francisco to San Diego.

Santa Barbara to me is the ultimate beach living in California. A very clean and vibrant city.

The hotel is located off Cabrillo and is very close to the beach.

We stayed in Room 40, a 2 bedroom suite, which had a living room/bedroom (king-size bed), 32 inch TV, kitchen with table and 4 chairs, 2 bathrooms and a separate bedroom with queen sized bed.

Offers free internet connection.

The breakfast consisted of 2 types of cereal (Frosties and bran). You have the choice of bagel or crumpet. There is also muffins, tea, juice and coffee.

In the evenings, they had a wine and cheese evening. Which I think is quite a nice touch.

Lacks a swimming pool. Has free parking.

We hired a bike from 5 Wheels Fun Rental (------------) for a couple of hours and went along the beach on the bike path.

Staff need to be more informative about things to do in Santa Barbara, especially with children.

We drove from San Francisco to San Diego (along Highway 1) and stayed in the following hotels (see other reviews).

San Francisco - Nob Hill Motor Inn, 1630 Pacific Avenue.

Carmel - Carmel Resort Inn - Carpenter and 2nd.

Santa Barbara - Casa del Mar

Anaheim - Holiday Inn

And in San Diego, we rented a 2 bedroom condo in Mission Beach for a week. It's far more economical than a hotel!

• Liked — The modern look bedroom
  • Disliked — Staff lack of information on things to do
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family