“I slept like a baby!”

Ranked #8 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Granada, Nicaragua
“I slept like a baby!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

When I entered the lobby to check in (at 9pm) and smelled the fresh flowers I knew we made the right choice with this hotel.
Our room also had fresh fragrant flowers, was clean and was such a pleasure to arrive to. The gas fireplace had a timer so we fell asleep to it and I have to say it was the best nights sleep I had over the past 8 days of our road trip. The bed was luxury comfortable and there were a variety of pillows (softness/firmness) to choose from.
The courtyard was adorable and even our dog enjoyed the property.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard give an added sense of relaxation
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emrir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Jose, CA
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were in Santa Barbara for an off-season vacation. The weather was in the 70s in the early spring. This place was unique, comfortable, inexpensive (as places like this go) and near the waterfront -- our favorite place in Santa Barbara. Every place we wanted to experience was within walking distance of the hotel -- including beachfront walking, the warf, and restaurants in the marina. We are water people.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are cottage-style apartments, as I remember. Ours opened right out onto the street...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jswhitaker
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This lovely little hotel has more of a resort feel than hotel feel. Out our window were blooming shrubs with the flowers at the level of the window and above so we could see the colours even while lying in bed. The room had a cement floor, no carpet, which I didn't mind because I sometimes find hotel carpets dirty. The bed was very comfortable with lovely warm covers for December evenings. The bathroom was simple and the shower was very hot when I needed it to be. The room and hotel grounds were clean and well-cared for. The only negative we found was that the room was very dark, even during the day. More lighting would be appreciated. Parking was free in a covered garage near our room. The beach is less than a 2 minute walk away and you'll find Sambos, Eladio's, Rusty's pizza (with delivery) and the Santa Barbara Pier all in a short walking distance. Paseo Nuevo, the quaint downtown area is only a 5 minute cab ride away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susanjl_12
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 26, 2012

If your expectation is set at the level that this is an "inn", then you won't be disappointed. It's a block from the beach and only a few blocks from the wharf so if that's where you want to be, this is a decent spot. It was great for my family (3 small kids) b/c the rooms are fairly separate from one another so we didn't feel like we were imposing on anyone else. I also noticed a lot of pets (dogs) walking around so I think that's a draw for this place. As a result, the room we were in (#40) and I assume the others, did not have carpeting in order to keep them clean.

Our had a nice fireplace (note: to shut it off in room 40, you had to pick up the phone - I know, strange). The heating is not centralized - old, old school wall mounted heaters. My guess is that this place would be a lot better in the summer due to the lack of carpets on the floor.

The kitchen space is small but quaint if you only have 2 ppl. The staff were really friendly and the breakfast is a decent continental one. Beds were fantastic; firm and clean, and the sheets were soft as well. Showers, though dated, were actually very nice - lots of pressure, plenty of heat.

It's a touch noisy in the evenings but not really bad - you do hear the Amtrak at times (though not late into the night) and you can hear chatter outside and the cars driving around in the parking lot - but nothing terrible. Our fire alarm went off in the morning; probably due to the steam coming from the shower so it's sensitive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank onegaucho
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed December 24, 2012

These were definitely previously apartments but what an excellent job of renovating. It is literally 1 short block from the beach. You can see the ocean from the balcony.

Rooms: Cozy, sea-colored and airy. Old-fashioned windows that open all the way and the shades that roll down give great black-out effect. Refrigerator w/freezer compartment, microwave and sink. Flatscreen t.v's. Very comfy bed w/duvet and lots of pillows. Radio with iPod AUX connector. Bathrooms have large shower gel and shampoo dispenser on the wall. Window with blinds in bathroom. The rooms were very clean.

Service: The front desk closes at 10pm but if you call ahead the clerk may be willing to stay a little later if you are in route. The ice machine was not working and the front desk clerk brought us ice from another hotel across the way. That's what I call service! We didn't use any other amenities so I cannot comment on them.

Breakfast: Continental breakfast was nothing fabulous but everything was fresh. However, there was a wood-burning fireplace in the small dining area that added to the ambiance of a quiet breakfast which was nice.

Room Tip: Be mindful there are no elevators when bringing large pieces luggage. Choose a ground level room to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night at Casa del Mar Inn, Santa Barbara, CA and went through some challenges there.
Upon arrival, it took a while until front desk staff could locate our reservation as apparently someone had us booked for check-in the following day by mistake. This was sorted out by "upgrading" us to a "better" room what eventually turned out to be a very distorted notion as the heating system of the room did not work. Since it was December the weather was chilly enough, even for Santa Barbara standards. Anyway, we had had enough driving and struggling to get ourselves a room that it made sense to keep the room that was given to us. Luckily there were enough blankets to keep us warm through the night.
TV was another aspect that fell short during our stay as personally I had never seen such a small TV in any hotel bedroom in any country. And what obscure brand was that, anyway?
Anyway, other than these flaws and some noticeable soundproofing issues, staff was friendly and if they get the heat to work in all rooms and acquire new TVs I could spend another night at Casa del Mar Inn. For two or mor nights, though, I believe I would look into alternatives while in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the deluxe queen suite over a long weekend in early September and had a lovely stay. The beds were super-comfy, everything was clean, the water pressure was STELLAR, the staff was helpful, and the continental breakfast was perfectly adequate. Plus wine and cheese in the afternoon, and a great location that is a very short drive from State Street and pretty much right off the ocean. I recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012