“A very nice and cozy B&B in Santa Barbara”
Review of Bath Street Inn

Bath Street Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
“A very nice and cozy B&B in Santa Barbara”
Reviewed April 25, 2006

We stayed in Bath Street Inn over the Easter weekend and both of us enjoyed the place very much. The location is good and the people working there were very friendly and made us feel at home. We stayed in the smallest room (The Wedgwood Room), but we were out most of the day, so it wasn't a problem. We enjoyed the afternoon coffee and tea that extend into the evening. We especially loved the wonderful breakfast, as so many people have always described. The price is reasonable, considering the cost of Santa Barbara. I would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Bing Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed April 23, 2006

We paid about $200 each night after tax and my AAA discount, which is moderately priced for SB. If you're looking for a "home away from home" experience and can afford it, I would definitely recommend this inn.

Overall it was a very nice visit- the service was VERY gracious and accomodating, the property charming, the breakfasts delicious. The location was off State Street so it was quiet and peaceful, and dowtown was walkable on a nice day (as long as you're young and allow/have plenty of time). I should mention we were in Susan's loft, which had a beautiful vaulted wood ceiling, plenty of sunshine and a spa tub.

While it really did feel like visiting a favorite aunt or grandmother, there were some areas that detracted from the charm. As a result I myself am not sure I would pay $200/night to stay in this room again. Since it was a 30 min walk to the center of downtown anyway, next time I'll probably forego the breakfasts (tho yummy) and spa tub and spend the money on something closer to the beach.

Being an older building, the walls were very thin, and on the second day our neighbor's morning chatter and door slamming made it impossible to sleep in. The room was very clean and thoughtfully designed, but it did look a little tired- the bedding is faded and the upholstered chairs need shampooing. The jacuzzi tub was nice, but the water temperature changed constantly which made it less relaxing. I didn't mind the low vaulted ceiling in the wc, and it seemed immaculately clean, but for some reason it was also rather smelly (maybe an old septic system?) so we left the vent fan on constantly. Fortunately it never became a problem in the room itself.

The bedding was extremely comfortable, nice soft sheets and pillows. The towels were probably the softest and fluffiest I've ever had away from home! The main challenge was that the room temperature was a bit hard to regulate so I was up and down all night reseting the thermostat and opening/closing windows (the gas stove- very cute- was either on full blast or off). It was great to have a sliding glass door for fresh air. The view of the mountains was lovely.

The room was comfy, cute and clean overall- and the patios and balconies were very pleasant. The lighting could be improved, the exterior stairs were unlit and I almost fell 2x on an awkward step coming in and out after dark . However, the light in the hallway was on all night and came in through an interior window so the room never got completely dark (it didn't bother me by the second night).

If you're priority when visiting SB is to feel really "at home" this is the place! If you're there to "get out and visit SB" and dont need personal attention, something on the beach might be better.

Stayed April 2006
9 Thank angelheights
Danville, CA
Reviewed April 18, 2006

I had never stayed in B&B before so didn’t know what to expect. It turned out to be a very nice and comfortable place although I am not sure about the neighborhood. Both Kate and Marie were super nice and friendly and had great ideas on restaurants and things to do around SB. Marie even went out of her way to make dinner reservations for us. We stayed in the Tiffany room, cozy, quite and clean. They feed you a full Breakfast (coffee, juice, yogurt, granola, French toast) and you have the afternoon tea, coffee, fresh baked cookies and cake followed by wine, cheese,…
I would only say that the some of the furniture needed a touch up or replacement. Some of the pieces of the coffee table were falling apart and the couch in the sitting room really needs to be replaced.
Overall Bath Street is a very convenient and comfortable place, close to State Street and shopping.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Travellers87
, Owner at Bath Street Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2006
So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we certainly hope to see you again. You missed the new custom made sofa by two days!! It is pretty and comfortable and we'll soon have a wingback chair to match. The antique pie crust table was broken by guests; thankfully, we were able to mend it and return it to its accustomed place within two days. We aren't quite sure what the concerns were about the neighborhood - it is a quiet and safe residential area and is considered a very desirable location in the downtown area.
Thanks for taking the time to post a review.
philadelphia
Reviewed January 24, 2006

what a beautiful B&B. this was our first stay in a B&B and we were extremely happy. the owner marie and the innkeeper kate were phenomenal. kate gave us a great recommendation for dinner, and the meal was tremendous. they even made reservations for us ahead of time. you are only 3 blocks from the main shopping district and the walk is really easy. we had a room on the third floor and there was a sitting room outside with a TV & VCR if you needed it. they love to feed you all day long. breakfast was great with the homemede granola, yogurt & peach stuffed french toast. you also have the late afternoon wine & cheese followed by cakes, cookies, coffee and hot chocolate in the evening. we couldn't say enough great things about the Bath Street Inn.

9 Thank idroz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2006

My husband and I were so impressed with the friendlyness of the inn keepers. We felt totally at home there. We were able to just relax and enjoy eachother. We were celebrating our 8th anniversary and it was just awesome. The house was beautiful and our room was soo nice. We stayed in the Garden room, so we had our own entrance. Breakfast was great! The cakes and cookies were delicious. It was nice knowing that you could get a snack pretty much at any time of day, just like at home. I would recommend this Bed and Breakfast for sure.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monterey, California
Reviewed January 13, 2006

We just stayed here for our honeymoon a week ago. We booked the Rose Room. At first, I was a little wary of the property, because it isn't what I would call "pristine". I admit, I'm a little spoiled since some of the most famous B&B's are a block from where I work (Pacific Grove, CA). My first impression of the property is that the living area is very small. However, all three staff members (three different shifts) were warm and friendly. The room was "okay". Again, for $185.00 I felt a small letdown (so did my husband). The bathroom was clean, and I expected the rose wallpaper. The iron bed would be charming, except for one thing-- shall we say, that squeaking of the bed did not make our honeymoon night enjoy it's full benefits! The bed squeaked so loud, that we could only laugh as we sat on it. No way could I disturb our neighbors! I was impressed with the nicely laid out table of evening snacks-- tempting home-baked cakes and cookies, coffee and teas. I sat in the living room, that evening, to enjoy a book and a cup of tea. The couch desperately needs to be replaced, as it saggged and groaned a bit. A young lady who must work there at night, came in with some friends and they were a bit noisy. So, I went upstairs to our room and giggled some more at the noisy bed. Breakfast, the next morning, was very delicious. Great coffee, granola and yogurt and peach stuffed French Toast. My observation is that the B&B needs a little TLC with some fresh paint around the windows and the window dressings were a bit tired (in the shower). A nice touch would be bathrobes and a nice night light in the bathroom. A feather top pillow might make the iron bed more comfortable, as well. My mild disappointment disappeared once I realized that this B&B is very reasonably priced, considering how expensive Santa Barbara hotels are. I doubt I'd make a special return trip here, but overall it's worth a try.

12 Thank Foodiewife
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 11, 2006

This is a nice place. Wonderful location. Walk 5 blocks to State Street to see trendy shops and enjoy food. The Inn's hostes gave us great restaurant recommendations. My wife and I stayed in the balcony room (small with a strange shape) but we knew that and it was all good. I would stay there again.

6 Thank tlcarlson