“Enhancement of a wonderful evening”

Andersen's Danish Bakery
Ranked #3 of 24 Dessert in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Danish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Thousand Oaks, California
“Enhancement of a wonderful evening”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Though called "Andersen's Danish Bakery" here on TripAdvisor, this establishment is both a restaurant and a bakery. In my case, my mother, adult daughter and I stopped by in the late afternoon for happy hour, which runs from 3:00 to 7:00 each afternoon. For only $5 per person, we were able to enjoy very good wine and an included crustini each.

Wine -- We were able to taste several wines before ordering and the ones we ordered were all very good. One should not expect $100 bottles of wine at $5 a glass, of course, but we were very pleased with the quality of what was offered. Additionally, nicely sized glasses were served, enabling us to enjoy our experience while not immediately emptying our glasses. And the crustini was a nice addition. We were not interested in eating more at this time since we had a dinner reservation to follow, but discounted appetizers are available during happy hour as well.

Service -- The service was extraordinary! We were warmly welcomed and allowed to sit at our choice of tables (in our case, outdoors along the street). Servers well-explained the wine selections and were quick and courteous in all ways. In particular, my daughter is vegan and we asked whether something could be substituted for the non-vegan crustini. Someone from the kitchen came to our table, discussed it with my daughter, and brought out a substitute appetizer of fresh cut fruit. Very nice, particularly since we were only there for happy hour. Before leaving we stepped inside to look at the bakery items, where samples were provided of many items.

Atmosphere -- Our small group thoroughly enjoyed the hour we spent at Andersen's. We sat by the sidewalk at sunset. Always nice on State Street, Santa Barbara. Andersen's had a musical group playing that was enjoyable to listen to and appropriate for this type of place -- not overpowering so as to enable conversation, but a good group that one could focus on and enjoy. And, as mentioned above, the service added to the nice atmosphere.

This is a place to which I will definitely return when next in Santa Barbara.

• Visited December 2013

Los Angeles
“Lunch in downtown Santa Barbara”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The restaurant is lovely and the service very good. I had the schnitzel baguette sandwich with french fries and cole slaw. It was delicious but next time I will ask to go easy on the mayo. My husband had the hamburger and he liked it.
The strudel was disappointing with a sticky crust and poor on apples.

• Visited October 2013
Manila, Philippines
“So good I came back!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had a waffles and sausage breakfast at Andersen's and liked it so much that I came back for lunch the next day! The servings are substantial, and the food was very tasty. It was classic waffles and sausage and exactly what I had hoped for. Being a bakery, the bread and marmalade that they serve is very good, and the coffee is some of the best I've ever had. They apparently roast their own beans and come up with a house blend. Well, they did it right because the coffee had a unique aroma and taste, in a very good way.

I came back the next day and had the Reuben sandwich. Very good. The meat was tasty and the mustard and sauerkraut were classic. Even the rye bread was notable.

The restaurant is very popular and fills up during peak hours. It's right in the middle of State Street and has patio seating which gives an excellent view for people watching. (There are a couple of parking lots behind the restaurant which make parking very convenient.) I regret that I didn't try their pastries. I will be back!

• Visited November 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Absolutely Incredible”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

This beautiful resturant has its French theme evident in every inch of its lovely interior. As soon as we sat down we were given bread and a pastry to begin with. The staff were all incredibly friendly and considerate. We had the turkey roast, and everything, from the turkey to the cranberry sauce (some of the best I've ever had) was incredible. The pastries were all fantastic. I can honestly say that this is one of the best resturants that I've ever had the pleasure of dining in. Do not miss eating here.

• Visited November 2013
NM USA
“Happy Hour value”
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We wanted a light dinner and found a great value during Andersen's happy hour which currently lasts 'till 7:00pm. We ordered two appetizers, the second one is half price, and two glasses of wine at $5/each with a decent selection. In addition a complimentary potato/bacon crustini was served. For our light appetites that evening it was just right. The crab cake is served with a refreshing salsa; the baked Brie was a nice contrast to the crab. So, we did not have a full dinner here but found the extended happy hour to be a great value. Service was excellent, food was very good. The sidewalk seating was great for watching the Santa Barbara "scene"!

Visited November 2013