“Get miss this place”

Cuisines: Danish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Service , food and staff all excellent , all seem to actually care about the place
Nice at any time of the day

1  Thank Jamesbanbury

Reviewed August 9, 2012

A little gem with pavement seating and European feel in the heart of SB. Homemade pastries, eggs benedict and sunshine. Bliss

1  Thank REGards-JNB
Reviewed August 7, 2012

On our second day I made sure we headed to one of those cute restaurants on main street for some al-fresco breakfast… we picked the Anderson Danish Bakery…

I went inside and met one of the bakers and to ooooo and ahhhh over all the cakes. There were so many and they all looked amazing.

They also make their own jam, which you can buy to take home.

I imagine the whole of Santa Barbara gets their birthday cake from here.

The strawberry tarts looked so good, and I got a taste of one. I wished right then that I had picked one of those for breakfast.

We both ordered the french toast… before which we were given two baskets of baguette and 2 scones (!), who eats pre-breakfast scones!

Turns out we do… we gave it our best shot anyway, then we ate our french toast.

Ridiculous. See why we spent the rest of the day riding bikes? (and skipping lunch) That was some breakfast.

And it is open for dinner. We heard so many accents while we are here, I imagine from Danish people.

Skip breakfast and go for cake!

See my photos here; http://pleincommeunoeuf.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/the-andersons-danish-bakery-santa-barbara/

1  Thank SupaSal
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Located on State Street, Andersen's Bakery is a Santa Barbara Institution that serves the most delicious and tempting pastries in town plus a full menu of fine food. The location is perfect and there is open air seating on the sidewalk plus two floors of dining area. Mrs. Andersen and her lovely daughter are there every day and in my view they are local heroes (heroines?) - Mrs. Andersen, especially. She's built this wonderful restaurant over 40 years and is indefatigable. There is no better place to have a coffee and succumb to temptation with a marzipan or cream filled pastry. Their savories are also exceptional. No visit to Santa Barbara is complete without a stop at Andersen's.

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We decided to take a trip up Pacific Coast Highway and stopped in Santa Barbara to stretch our legs and to get something to eat. I've been to Santa Barbara before and noticed that there was always a packed house at Andersen's. We decided to see for ourselves, and stopped for lunch. Wow! What a surprise! The food was excellent! We ordered the Duck and the Chicken breast. The duck was cooked to perfection(Medium Rare),and the chicken was nice and juicy. Both meals came with soup, we went with the split pea soup. The soup was one of the best I've tried. Needless to say we were stuffed and almost didn't order dessert. I'm glad we changed our minds. If you're into sweet things, this is the place to go. Our waiter came by with a tray of desserts and pastries, and she told us a little bit about each one. She recommended the Peach Tart(Her Favorite). Needless to say we were completely full and happy.

The Best thing about the restaurant is, it's right on State St. You can stop here for a pastry and coffee break, trust me, you won't go wrong ;) If you're going for a meal, get there a little early, there can be a little wait. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. I'll definitely be back!

P.S. Try the Orange Marmalade, if they put it on the table. It's like eating freshly picked fruit.

1  Thank Joeank84