“Harvest Wine Tour Delight!!”

Captain Jack's Santa Barbara Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted #1 Wine Tasting Tour in the Santa Barbara News Press "Readers Choice Award" two years in a row.
Santa Monica, California
“Harvest Wine Tour Delight!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Usually i'm not one to go online and review my activities but after taking yesterday's Santa Ynez Wine tour with Jens (pronounced Yenz) i felt obligated to do so. The scenery was amazing, especially because we unknowingly came up in the middle of harvest, allowing us to taste all the grapes we were drinking the wine from. Jens, who is studying to become a sommelier, did a fantastic job, unobtrusively providing in-depth knowledge about everything from the ground the grapes grew in to the bottle they were poured out of along with entertainment for the whole group in between. We stopped for lunch at an Italian place, i think it was called Grappo, which was also delicious. Miles better than the soggy sandwiches many other tours I've been on provide. If you want to have a relaxing day, enjoy some wonderful central coast wines (my favorites were the Syrah's and Pinots of the area) and flavors, request Jens and Captain Jacks Tours next time you are looking to have some fun in SB. Don't Drink and Drive !

Visited September 2012

Los Angeles, California
“Santa Barbara Wine Tour - Labor Day Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my first Santa Barbara wine tour and my best friend and I took the "Santa Barbara Wine Tour" option on the Sunday of the Labor Day weekend. As a wine novice and not wanting to spend hours on the internet researching different wineries, this tour was awesome! Our guide Eric was really friendly, knowledgeable about the wineries, and even had a cooler of bottled water for us in the van. The Il Fustino store was not open; however, he was nice enough to add another winery to our tour and we really appreciated it! One of the great features of the tour is that all, except for one, of the wineries were primarily in the main Santa Barbara "downtown" area, so we weren't exhausted at the end of the day (no long treks!). The group was nice and small and everyone seemed to get along well, and we weren't pressured to finish our wine tastings. Overall a really good value and price point. We've already decided we were coming back to do the same tour but with more girlfriends! THANKS CAPT. JACK AND ERIC for making my weekend a fun one!!!

Visited September 2012
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“EPIC is not a word typically used for wine tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

When you go wine tasting you expect to have fun. You don't expect to have one of the most epic days of your life.... But thanks to TRACY at Captain Jack's tours, that is what happened yesterday on our Santa Rita hills wine tour. At first sight, you wouldn't expect our group could even make it to the epic status. Too diverse you might say..... Too much of a motley crew... well.... Tracy is a professional people person. She read right into our group, assessed our common interests and our individual wine experience, and carefully manipulated the mood and customized the activities of the tour to deliver an unforgettable experience. Literally unforgettable.... Because even if I lose all my memory in the future, I will still have the most epic (yep... Using it again) set of photographs, all staged and taken by her, to commemorate the day. Many of you probably are interested in coming to this area because of the movie sideways. Amazing movie (just please don't bring it up if you do a wine tour here)! But, as good as it was, if there had been a film crew on hand yesterday, we easily would have blown it out of the water. Thanks Tracy!

kjtraveler2008
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beer tour w/ Captain Jack's was great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We did a beer crawl this past weekend w/ Captain Jack's for a Bachelorette Party. We had a great time, the driver was not only attentive he went out of his way to make the day enjoyable. We went to three brewery's and had a really fantastic time. This was a great tour company!

Visited August 2012
lake balboa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tracy was AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We did the San Ynez winery tour on Saturday, August 25th. Wife and I, with 9 other participants, so it was a full van. But very comfortable. A few of us met at the visitor center for pick-up, Tracy drove around Santa Barbara just a bit to get everyone else. Front door service, nice. Over the hills and into the valley we went.
The first winery was maybe 30 minutes away, but that gives you time to get to know everyone. We has a great (and evidently, rather loud) group, so by the the first stop we were ready for wine!
OK, a side note here- This is a wine tour. I guess one should try to remember that. It's not a pub crawl, so a certain level of decorum is expected. This was our first lesson. But after that minor hiccup, it was smooth sailing. Lots of good wines, beautiful buildings and amazing landscapes. Oh, also a stop to sample olive oils, and vinegars, I know, you might be thinking, "wait, what?", Trust me on this. Really tasty stop.
About our guide, Tracy. Perfect person for this job. Friendly, funny, in charge without being overbearing about it. Near the end she was trying to herd cats, but she did it with patience and a smile. She knows everyone in the wineries, and you feel like you are being taken care of all day. Just a great guide.
There was only one issue on the day. Lunch. The restaurant we were scheduled to eat at was very nice, but way too expensive. There was a long table already laid out for us, but I just couldn't pay the prices on the menu, so wife and I went next door to a cool bar. Some others followed, others stayed (felt obligated, one said later). I think, for lunch, just tell us "Fancy meal with more good wine, there. Dive bar with good beer and dancing, there. See you in about an hour" and let us decide. That was the only thing, and NOT Tracy's fault at all.
So, yeah, I'd recommend this tour to anyone that wants a good taste of all the different flavors the Santa Ynez Valley has to offer.

Visited August 2012