“Great Deals”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Santa Barbara, CA/Dallas, TX
“Great Deals”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Wonderful dinner deals, great food and excellent service!

Visited September 2011

Santa Barbara, California
“Sorry, no good.”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

After several unsuccessful experiences at Edomasa, I wanted to give them a last chance yesterday. I avoided to write a review before since it was going to be negative. But this time, I had it.
I have been going to Edomasa since their 1st day, I was even a special guest at the opening night, early 90ies. I have known chef Fujita-san since he arrived to Santa Barbara.
He still doesn't smile, and does not even recognize me, never says hello, that's another story. This attitude is considered very rude in Japan (I lived in Japan for 6 years).

Last night, we arrived around 7, sat at the counter. Another angry looking, non smiling, non Japanese man handed us the restaurant menu. Hard cover menu at the sushi bar? A sticky note on the cover explained that they had to raise the prices because of the fish market in Japan. So the fish is coming from Japan?
The angry looking man (not the owner, he was on the left side of the counter) took our orders and proceeded with cutting ultra thin, almost transparent slices of fish. After a few order, I had to tell him that I want to eat decent sushi, even if I have to pay more, please have them cut properly, I just don't want to eat sticky rice. He didn't react in any way.

The fish taste was below average, some even looked dry and pale, too much shari (rice), no neta at all (presentation). Basic sushi like Hamachi and Magura are tasteless. Salmon and Japanese Mackerel were pale and dry. The rolls I had were not good, I didn't try all of them. The "Edomasa" roll was not good, with some sweet sauce and strange color.

No greeting from anyone, no individual plates or board, the sushi or rolls were served in a service plate put in the middle of us, we were expected to eat from the same dish. When I asked about a service plate, they forgot to bring it, had to ask three times. Then a busboy wanted to take them away, when I said we were eating in them and I want to keep them, he insisted that he had to take them.

The only positive person was the Japanese woman who served us beer, and took our money.
After paying more than $50 per person, I left unsatisfied. Next time I will have to drive to Taiko, in Irvine, about 2.5 hours of drive and 1.5 hour to wait in line to eat decent sushi. Believe me it is worth the drive.
I do not recommend Edomasa even to beginners, go buy ready made sushi at the supermarket, it is cheaper and more tasty, and you don't have to deal with angry looking man.

• Visited March 2012
Santa Barbara
“value conscious Japanese food without much style”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

it is what it is, and we go there anyway. order enough sake and the whole thing will seem memorable

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
“Good food good value”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Great place to get sushi and a late night snack. One of the few places open till late night

• Visited November 2011
Santa Barbara, California, United States
“THE WORSE SERVICE/EXPERIENCE IN SANTA BARBARA”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Seriously.. this is by far the worst service I received in Santa Barbara for the past five years!!

Last night, my friends and I (party of 7) decided to eat at Edomasa because it WAS one of the best and affordable sushi in town, however, not only their food quality got worse, there waitress is extremely rude and irresponsible.

the waitress brought miso soup and entrees to the wrong person and she gave me attitude when I ask her a question. I understand that for a party of 6+, tips will automatically include in the final bill. But seriously, she doesnot deserve for those tips. we tried to get her attention so many times, she never/rarely comes over, pretty much we have to call other waitress/waiter to call her come over to our table. she left our table without finish taking order from everyone, and the worst part is I asked a waiter to ask her if our food include and mochi ice cream, she didn't even border to come to the table and tell us the answer when she grab our credit card. I have to walk up to her and ask her, then she gave me attitude and told me that you should know YOURSELF that it is not included.

My friends thought that the owner/ manager should know about this. So after we paid, we tried talk to an older asian guy (seems like manager or owner), his answer is even more shocking..... he said:" if you want to complain, you need to do it before you paid, there is nothing i can do after you paid." so we tried to tell him we dont want refund or anything, but you seriously need to consider about that waitress and watch out for her attitude. He doesn't seem to care, and he said:" it's okay if you guys dont want TO COME AGAIN." WOW... I am pretty sure this is not the way to run a restaurant in Santa Barbara.

Overall, the food is alright, although the quality went down, if we still receive the same service, we should still be fine..

NOT RECOMMENDED to anyone who thought Edomasa still had there good service like before.

P.S. three of us ordered Beef Sukiyaki don, the beef is very dry and not a lot of flavor in it.

• Visited October 2011