“Nice Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We are from West Virginia, My sister-in-law works in Santa Barbara. We told her we had googled German restaurants and had 2 choices. We chose the Dutch Garden. She has worked/lived in Santa Barbara area for 30 years and never knew this place was there. (I bet she will be going back soon) Small inside, but Garden seating. So we decided to dine outside. The menu is small. But the food was great. I had, are you ready for this, a pan seared chicken breast stuffed with a whole banana. I thought is sounded "different" so I had to try it. And was pleasantly surprised. It was delicious. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Reviewed June 26, 2013

When I got there I wasn't too impressed - ate outside at a picnic table. I don't eat meat so looking at the menu was getting worried because everything was sausage and meat.

However, was pleasantly surprised :) They had a great beer selection and seating was comfortable. Nice place to sit outside. For food had an AMAZING carrot almond soup - very yummy! and the smoked salmon sandwich which was awesome!

Would definitely recommend this place for a nice lunch or dinner. Check the hours because I don't think they are open every day. Plan to sit and stay a while and try some new beers!

1  Thank KrisPena
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is a tiny restaurant mostly hidden in the trees immediately off of upper State Street where it becomes Hollister Ave.. Wonderful selection of beers. I am not a great fan of German deli food, but most dishes here are good. When I worked nearby, I would often meet a now-deceased friend for lunch. I suspect he liked the place because he could consume a few beers there without risk of spousal disapproval. I always had a dark beer and a very good corned beef sandwich. If you are in the area, this place is worth a visit and a good choice for lunch. I would not, however, travel all the way across town to go there.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I personally love this restaurant. Ken (the Chef) does the most amazing soups and I always love the food. I typically only order the burger and not the other german food, so can't speak to other menu items. They have a great beer selection and the bread is great - with many different mustards. The atmosphere is rustic, but this is the same restaurant fixture my dad went to as a kid and he is 74. It is an unique experience with nice outside dining options. The service could be better, but the food makes up for it.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the type of restaurant that gives German cuisine its stolid reputation. The food wasn't bad, it was just nothing special. My husband laughed when I said I actually prefer the potato pancakes at Coco's chain restaurants to these limp ones. The best part of the evening was sitting outside in the garden and enjoying some of the interesting beers on the menu. It would be wonderful if the restaurant installed speakers outside so music could help mask the sound of the freeway. We felt as if we were sitting on the median of the 101. With so many wonderful restaurants in Santa Barbara I doubt that we will return to this one.

1  Thank Kathleen H