“Exceptional value for great, fresh sushi!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ahi Sushi

Ahi Sushi
Ranked #421 of 528 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Santa Barbara, California
“Exceptional value for great, fresh sushi!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My mom and I ate here last week. Again, it was such a great experience!! The food is so fresh and delicious. The Sargent Pepper roll was our favorite- so unique!! The service was stellar, as well. For the cost this place just can't be beat!

• Visited December 2012

Santa Barbara, CA
“Disappointing lately”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Three times they've closed early on us!! Because it happened twice before we specifically called ahead tonight - they confirmed they would stay open until their posted hour of 9:30pm. We walked down, arrived at 9:07pm and they refused to seat us telling us they were closed, again! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times, you've lost my business.

Truth is, the sushi and service have been in steady decline at Ahi and while it was nice to have a convenient sushi restaurant near San Roque and Hope Ranch, it's worth the extra drive to get to Sakana for interesting and fresh dishes. I loved that Ahi was started by chefs who struck out on their own but it looks like they could really use a manager to fix things. We won't be going back.

Tucson
“Superb Uni”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

A bit far out of town, but freshness of sushi was great. The pure Japanese style was better than the American fusion rolled sushi. The reputation of the freshness of the uni was well deserved. The Ama ebi was the biggest I have ever seen (good or bad) and the fried shell Japanese style was really good. Nama beer was good, and I particularly liked the Mugi Jōchū.
It was a Tuesday night, pretty quiet, and service was nice, cheerful and tolerant. I should say we were four, two Japanese, one English and one Anglo-Japanese.

Visited July 2012
Vietnam
“Ala Carte”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We met local family members here for dinner. Apparently, the menu is rather new. The fish was fresh and the portion sizes were appropriate. To my chagrin, the restaurant does not offer Chirashi, which is the standard dish I order when eating sushi. I also inquired about sashimi or sushi combo dinners, but was told that those items are ala carte. In most restaurants, the standard order for nigiri is two pieces, but at Ahi, we paid for individual pieces. The service was great and the atmosphere was homey. Overall, it was a good dinner experience.

• Visited July 2012
Altadena, CA
“Good sushi. Very good ramen/udon and uni shooters. Ambience not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Located in a weird mini-mall selection of stores on State street, away from the trendy part, a bit off the beaten path.
Nice discovery.
Décor: in need of updating, a bit tired.
Service-uneven. Not a busy place, though plenty of tables were full but service was slow, then picked up. Our second waiter was friendly and helpful and much quicker to respond.
Food: worthy. Good, fresh sushi and there was care in the preparation. Not a place for ambience though

We had:
Albacore roll with asparagus, avocado-delicious
Teriyaki salmon-the teriyaki not too sweet so the salmon stood out nicely.
Udon soup with soba noodles-I felt like soup and this hit the spot. Broth was full of flavor and the soba noodles were delicious. A highlight.
Seaweed salad-my hubby surprised at how good it was
Halibut sushi-fresh!
Tuna sushi-fresh!

The waiter suggested we try the Uni shooters, which they are known for. We did not.

Personal preference-I like good sushi. I can overlook a place that isn’t the latest in whatever fushion/trendy whatever if the food is good, but I will say Ahi needs to work on getting the service more even with the quality of the sushi.

I would go back. So that says a lot.

I think a solid 3.5....the fact I am not rounding up is due to uneven service. But again, I would return to see if they get better.

• Visited June 2012