“Superb Uni”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Tucson
“Superb Uni”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A bit far out of town, but freshness of sushi was great. The pure Japanese style was better than the American fusion rolled sushi. The reputation of the freshness of the uni was well deserved. The Ama ebi was the biggest I have ever seen (good or bad) and the fried shell Japanese style was really good. Nama beer was good, and I particularly liked the Mugi Jōchū.
It was a Tuesday night, pretty quiet, and service was nice, cheerful and tolerant. I should say we were four, two Japanese, one English and one Anglo-Japanese.

Visited July 2012

Shanghai Region, China
“Ala Carte”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We met local family members here for dinner. Apparently, the menu is rather new. The fish was fresh and the portion sizes were appropriate. To my chagrin, the restaurant does not offer Chirashi, which is the standard dish I order when eating sushi. I also inquired about sashimi or sushi combo dinners, but was told that those items are ala carte. In most restaurants, the standard order for nigiri is two pieces, but at Ahi, we paid for individual pieces. The service was great and the atmosphere was homey. Overall, it was a good dinner experience.

• Visited July 2012
Altadena, CA
“Good sushi. Very good ramen/udon and uni shooters. Ambience not so much”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Located in a weird mini-mall selection of stores on State street, away from the trendy part, a bit off the beaten path.
Nice discovery.
Décor: in need of updating, a bit tired.
Service-uneven. Not a busy place, though plenty of tables were full but service was slow, then picked up. Our second waiter was friendly and helpful and much quicker to respond.
Food: worthy. Good, fresh sushi and there was care in the preparation. Not a place for ambience though

We had:
Albacore roll with asparagus, avocado-delicious
Teriyaki salmon-the teriyaki not too sweet so the salmon stood out nicely.
Udon soup with soba noodles-I felt like soup and this hit the spot. Broth was full of flavor and the soba noodles were delicious. A highlight.
Seaweed salad-my hubby surprised at how good it was
Halibut sushi-fresh!
Tuna sushi-fresh!

The waiter suggested we try the Uni shooters, which they are known for. We did not.

Personal preference-I like good sushi. I can overlook a place that isn’t the latest in whatever fushion/trendy whatever if the food is good, but I will say Ahi needs to work on getting the service more even with the quality of the sushi.

I would go back. So that says a lot.

I think a solid 3.5....the fact I am not rounding up is due to uneven service. But again, I would return to see if they get better.

• Visited June 2012
Pasadena, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent sushi, mediocre atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We sat at the sushi bar and asked the owner/ sushi chef what was good. He recommended Bigeye tuna, Aji, Yellowail, and Ono, all of which were delicious. I also tried the salmon, which was excellent as well. My wife and I shared the mushroom miso soup, which was very good as well, and a bowl of edamame, also very good. The place seemed about to close when we arrived, but later perked up with late night diners. If you are looking for good, somewhat pricey sushi, and don't mind somewhat flat ambience, then you will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2012
Santa Barbara, California
“We Like It...”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I have been there 3 times now. Our local favorite place is in a remodel mode and not sure when it will reopen. So we have been going here instead.
Not sure if the past reviews are having any impact on the service but they seem to be very concerned about it. Still could use a little improvement.
I understand things like this. Its a local restaurant, not a corporate go to the freezer get the box kinda place. So little things like in any small business will be very visible. The staff was very nice and if we needed anything, they were right on it.

All in all its a nice little place. Just last Friday we had everything from grilled pork on sticks to UNI. Everything was prefect. When it comes to Sushi my wife is Very picky. She is from Japan after all. The Uni was second to none. Very fresh and chilled just how I like it.

As far as price, well the better you understand how to order sushi the more reasonable the total will be. I never knew how to order until my wife explained the way menus are laid out. Its that way in most any restaurant that serves ala cart items.

Our bill came to just over $50. That was with 2 draft beers and 2 orders of uni, along with the other items we had. We walked out not feeling hungry. Happy and content actually.

I would guess that if you go there, try to NOT put yourself in a mood where you will be disappointed. Take it for what it is. The food we had was done very well. The service staff was Par, the kitchen and sushi chef were wonderful.
So if you are from out of town visiting Santa Barbara, relax. Isn't that what most people come here for anyway?

• Visited April 2012