“We Like It...”

Ahi Sushi
Ranked #433 of 548 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I have been there 3 times now. Our local favorite place is in a remodel mode and not sure when it will reopen. So we have been going here instead.
Not sure if the past reviews are having any impact on the service but they seem to be very concerned about it. Still could use a little improvement.
I understand things like this. Its a local restaurant, not a corporate go to the freezer get the box kinda place. So little things like in any small business will be very visible. The staff was very nice and if we needed anything, they were right on it.

All in all its a nice little place. Just last Friday we had everything from grilled pork on sticks to UNI. Everything was prefect. When it comes to Sushi my wife is Very picky. She is from Japan after all. The Uni was second to none. Very fresh and chilled just how I like it.

As far as price, well the better you understand how to order sushi the more reasonable the total will be. I never knew how to order until my wife explained the way menus are laid out. Its that way in most any restaurant that serves ala cart items.

Our bill came to just over $50. That was with 2 draft beers and 2 orders of uni, along with the other items we had. We walked out not feeling hungry. Happy and content actually.

I would guess that if you go there, try to NOT put yourself in a mood where you will be disappointed. Take it for what it is. The food we had was done very well. The service staff was Par, the kitchen and sushi chef were wonderful.
So if you are from out of town visiting Santa Barbara, relax. Isn't that what most people come here for anyway?

1  Thank William A

Reviewed April 10, 2012

The wait for food is very long!! Just for tempura shrimp we have had to wait for 30 minutes.

Sushi is pretty good but we swear never to return after each dinner.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Dunno. I had heard the chef here came from Arigato (still not sure about that), which is a VERY EXCELLENT sushi restaurant in Santa Barbara. This place opened near our home so we wanted to like it. In short, each time we went service was slow to non-existent. REgulars walk in and get seated at sushi bar and get their food, others like us wait with no communication from staff while tables sit empty. The sushi is just okay. It is slow to come at any rate. The atmosphere is just plain dull. The second time when we sat at the sushi bar I think it was the owner who saw I was displeased at the wait and some confusion over seating (they sat someone practically on top of me who obviously was a regular and who got their food right away as the chef knew what he wanted). The third time we went we experienced yet another appalling lack of service and we will never go back. Go to Arigato, shintori, takenoya, wherever.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

My bf and I just had dinner there, and I absolutely hated it! I agree with the other person, if I could give negative stars, then I would. Seriously. First of all, the soy sauce is terrible. It's saltier than any soy sauce I ever tasted in my entire life. The wasabi is terrible, it doesn't taste like anything. We ordered 3 rolls for 2 people, each roll comes in 6 tiny pieces. Either of us are big eaters, it's just not enough for both of us. The taste of the rolls is completely ultimately PATHETIC!!! all of them tasted pretty much the same, and once you dip it in the soy sauce, it just tastes like salt and more salt. Also, everything is extremely overpriced, 10 dollars for every 6 pieces of crap. I wouldn't have a problem with the price if they actually tasted good. But too bad, they don't. I am a big fan of sushi and I have tried sushi around the globe in many different countries over the years. But I have never EVER been this disappointed with a meal for a long time. I don't know how it is possible for them to get good reviews, but you will understand my frustration after trying any random sushi bars in Toronto.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

Nice decor, reasonable prices and friendly service.