“Good Food and the Best Location”

Santa Barbara Shellfish Company
Ranked #12 of 542 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The restaurant on the pier is a great way to enjoy fresh seafood. I couldn't help picturing hungry sharks circling beneath the floor as I crack some shells. You'd have to be eating on the boat to get anymore of an authentic setting.

But forget about the location, the food was great in it's own right. I had the sampler and all of the crab was steamed perfectly - I made a huge mess, as one must, to savor the meal, and that's how it's done here. Cost might have been higher than elsewhere, but it was worth it for the atmosphere and experience.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The bisque tastes like tomato soup with a lot of cheese. The chowder was also not highly appreciated. If you compare with the fresh products on fisherman's wharf in sf, this lunch place is far away from it. If you do go there, take the lobster or crab which do look fresh. Otherwise skip this and go downtown instead.

1  Thank hdll
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Only in Santa Barbara for one day and happened upon this restaurant. What a delish dinner! We wanted light...I had the shrimp tacos with Spanish rice and hubby had crab salad sandwich on sourdough. The shrimp were cooked "lobster style" which is with tomatoes and basil. So flavorful! It was served with avocado and a sauce that was so tasty! Hubby loved his crab salad which was served with a delicious cole slaw. They are at the end of the pier and we enjoyed a nice walk afterward. Very small, we sat at the bar and the guy helping us was just full of life and a delight to chat with!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My birthday was on July 4th. We were planning to go to Monterey but my mom ended up in the hospital. SB Shellfish is one of our favorite restaurants. We ordered the Rock crab and clam chowder. We think this is the best clam chowder in Santa Barbara...not too but creamy, flavorful and awesome. The crab, well delicious. I also had an oyster shooter which was spicy and smooth. We love this place. It is worth the wait to sit outside, but the bar seats offer a view of the chefs cooking as well as the ocean and mountains of SB. One can also sit on the wharf but no alcohol out there. Obviously OK for a family outing. Look out for Steve Martin...

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Took a spur of the moment drive up to Santa Barbara just before the 4th and decided to eat here. So glad we did! We were able to find counter seating inside (much easier for my 84 year old mom) right away. Our server (sorry, can't remember his name) was very attentive. The New England Clam Chowder was yummy and was served right away. Upon our server's recommendation, my mom had the abalone over tomato basil rice, which was very tender and well done. I had the fried shrimp and scallops with coleslaw - they were perfect, not greasy at all and the scallops were especially tender the coleslaw was tasty too!!

As we were waiting for our food we watched as other diners received their order of rock crab - they were huge and very meaty. If I didn't hate cracking shells, I would have ordered one myself.

This is a very casual restaurant, but we found the food and service to be excellent. We will definitely return next time we are in Santa Barbara!