“Gorgeous vineyard loved the merlot”
Review of Gainey Vineyard

Gainey Vineyard
Ranked #30 of 176 things to do in Santa Barbara
Dallas, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Gorgeous vineyard loved the merlot”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was one of our favorite vineyards. The wine tasting room is quite impressive and we enjoyed the wines.

Visited July 2012

santa monica
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“We should have been compensated for the experience”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was a family trip with my adult children and their signif others to explore wine (their first). My husband and I did our post-graduate studies in Davis 30 yrs ago, have explored Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino innumerable times and are quite familiar with what is a good tour of a winery and what a pourer should be able to do. This was to be my family's introduction to a winery and how wine is made. On opening the door, the greeting was fine and we were given the opportunity to start tasting before the tour started. The tour was led by someone who was not able to give answers beyond the most superficial. The pourers did not know the wines--eg, length of time in oak barrel, what type of barrel--and constantly had to refer to "cliff notes" which someone had provided for them. The descriptors of the nose and taste of the wine were mechanically delivered. The wine tasting room is dark with lots of barrels against the walls--we were told they were all empty and were merely decorative.

I understand that like servers in a restaurant, pourers/tour guides need to start somewhere, but why do I have to spend my money to train someone? In a restaurant before opening, there are sessions to get the staff coordinated and presentable at no cost to the diner. I feel we were put through one of those experiences except we paid a total of $60 (3 flights of the reserve wine tastes)--it should have been the other way around.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank uzengirl
Wales
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the wine tasting and tour”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I drove to the vineyard from LA - the drive up there is fantastic and very scenic. This was the first vineyard we had been to and enjoyed a wine tasting session for $10 which then included a free tour of the vineyard. Bought a couple of bottles of Sauvignon Blanc which were beautiful!

Visited May 2012
Redlands, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Still a great place to stop”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

make a visit to the winery on each trip up the coast. Never disappointed and always take a wine tasting. Its still personal and nice.

Visited May 2012
San Diego, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice place”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The grounds are nice and the wines were good. The wine was better than I expected and the grounds were relaxing.

Visited June 2012