“Favourite hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, UK
“Favourite hotel”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in 7 hotels on our recent California trip and the Canary was our favourite. I loved everything about it, from the wonderful staff, to the four poster bed, to the number of dogs around, to the free wine hour between 5pm and 6pm every day. The location cannot be beaten, and it has charm and character unlike so many big hotels.

The only tiny complaint I could make, if pushed, was that we weren't informed of the wine-tasting event taking place on the roof terrace one evening - we only found it by accident. It was a lovely event and we could easily have missed it.

But other than that, a fabulous hotel in a fabulous town, with fabulous staff - what more could you want?

On a side note, Santa Barbara is a fantastic place too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed August 5, 2013

What's not to love about this style heaven!
Everywhere you looked you were inspired by lovely details - I loved the vibrant colors and unusual combinations. The room - although quite small - was very nice too.
Front desk and bell service staff were extremely attentive, helpful and friendly.
We enjoyed the perfect location in Downtown Santa Barbara.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LadyGoldilocks
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

It is difficult to fault this gem of a hotel. Luxury boutique sums it up perfectly. Very welcoming reception, a superb spacious well furnished room. A lovely bathroom with separate shower and bath. Communal areas were clean and well presented. Our teenage girls just loved the roof terrace and pool. From the great views, comfy chairs to the fruit flavoured ice water on tap it was faultless. Thank you Canary for a wonderful stay we can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Tim B
Clark, New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We are loyal Kimpton customers, so I always know that our home away from home will be lovely. The Canary was certainly no exception. Our room was large and well and well appointed, from the beautiful wood floors, to the huge bathroom. The hotel is completely charming from the quaint, but elegant lobby to the piece de resistance- the roof. The entire rooftop area is gorgeous- with a wonderful heated pool, a fireplace and several seating areas with beautiful chairs and sofas. In addition, the location is perfect- close enough to walk everywhere you'd want to go in the area. We did spend more that we usually do but I'd say it was completely worth it. Looking forward to a future visit to Santa Barbara and the wonderful Canary Kimpton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed July 30, 2013

You know a hotel has great customer service training when everyone from the valet staff to the front desk to the general staff in the hallways are friendly.

We appreciated a slightly early check in and we went straight to the pool for a mojito and relaxation. The 360 degree view is amazing. We were lucky to get lounge chairs because the pool area is not large; if it's crowded, there are not enough chairs.

One thing to note, and we don't blame the hotel for this, the afternoon started extremely peaceful and then families with children came. We were thinking it was a hotel designed more for romance. Some parents don't keep an eye to the comfort of the other guests, and since the lounge chairs are so close to the pool, we saw couple after couple leave because they kept getting splashed. We were impressed no one said anything. This one particular woman, I wasn't even sure how many times I saw her get splashed when the Dad was throwing kids off his shoulders. After awhile, it was too much for us, so we were probably the 5th or 6th to leave because of this. I definitely wasn't comfortable saying anything. Maybe the hotel has a gracious way to handle this type of situation.

The rooms as noted are well appointed and the beds are comfortable. We appreciated the wine in the afternoon and coffee in the morning. We would stay here again, maybe more off season.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our room wasn't cleaned, shampoo and conditioners were not replenished and fresh towels were not brought in. Very disappointed! Especially because this was one of my favorite hotels. I will not be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: staying close to Sate street will give you an opportunity to walk to everything: best restaurants, w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank digitaldivaLV
Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a super nice hotel- It's big enough to have all of the features that you want, but small enough that the staff quickly recognize you and call you by name. I was at first hesitant about the required valet service, but those guys were great- I never had to wait on my car. The 5-6pm happy hour was very nice- don't miss it! The roof top was very nice- but each evening I was there, the patio was reserved for private functions. The staff there was probably the most friendly of any I've encountered at a hotel. Liza and Kelsey were two that come to mind, as they were both very friendly and informative during the happy hour. They made me feel as if I was being hosted by friends. The hotel is located in a sweet spot- you'll easily walk to so many things on State Street from the hotel. I don't know of another hotel along the route that's better situated. My only semi-negative comment would be about the restaurant- it wasn't as good as I had expected. The service was very slow and the food was just okay. Not worth $100+ for two people, but I must add the disclaimer that my girlfriend developed a severe headache during the 45 min wait for our food and had to return to the room. I left with our food to-go and didn't get the dessert that was to be included. So- It's not totally 'all their fault'. With that said- I'll definitely stay at the Canary again when visiting Santa Barbara. It was better than I expected and is now one of my favorite hotels!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator- some are very close. You can request a pet-free room if you don...
1 Thank PhilipTN