“Absolutely LOVED it.”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Recently took a trip to Santa Barbara and decided to stay at the Canary Hotel so that I could walk to State Street and wouldn't have to walk far/take a cab with all of my purchases ;) I could not have asked for a better hotel!!! The front desk staff was amazing. You guys, they have a DOG that wears a bowtie and greets guests at the desk. If that doesn't seal the deal for you, I don't know what will. I was treated like a rockstar every time I walked through the lobby--the staff went above and beyond to make me feel welcomed and it definitely worked. They have a fabulous rooftop terrace. You have to see it to be able to fully grasp how pretty it is. Couldn't have asked for a more picturesque spot. My guest room was wonderful--really felt like a princess with the four poster bed! Loveddd the free wine every night (how could you NOT love free wine?!)--I was even able to take my wine to the rooftop terrace to drink it!

Best hotel I've stayed at in SB by far.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Lynne R, you should always feel like a princess – especially when you are writing such kindnesses as these! Wow! This review is amazing. Thank you so much! And you couldn’t have described our location more perfectly: super close to amazing shopping and all the restaurants up and down State Street. But most of all, thank you so much for highlighting the team! We all love creating a warm, welcoming feel here – especially Mr. Riley with the bowtie behind the front desk. Come back to see us soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our recent stay at the Canary Hotel once again exceeded our expectations. We had enjoyed a holiday stay at the hotel and enjoyed it so much, we had to return. The experience begins the moment you arrive in the portico of the hotel and are met by the valets who are most helpful, especially considering we were traveling with our dog, Archie an Australian Shepherd, so we had the dog bed and food and our bags.
We were delighted to see Eddie at the reception desk. He greeted us warmly, including our dog, and welcomed us back to the hotel. He informed us that he had an excellent suite for us, but housekeeping was just finishing the room. He invited us to enjoy complimentary cocktails on the roof top lounge by the pool.
When our suite was ready, the bellman delivered our room key to us and the luggage had been placed in the room. The suite was quite large with a separate bedroom and bathroom in addition to the living room. Bedding and furnishings are all of very high quality and we love the hardwood floors.
The amenity gift was a delicious cheese plate with local wine. We had dinner in the beautiful lobby after the restaurant manager graciously moved a table for us so our dog could join us.
The hotel is so pet friendly and always writes your dog's name on a blackboard at the front desk. Nice touch. Sometimes there is a resident dog of one of the associates.
When we returned to our room that evening, we were surprised to find champagne and fresh strawberries to celebrate one of our birthdays. Compliments of management and associates. Again, nice touch.
In addition, Kimpton is a vocal advocate for LGBT Rights.
We highly recommend Kimpton's Canary Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Jmmlaguna, this review brought the happiest tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for not only coming back to visit after such a recent stay, but for taking the time to write such gorgeous sentiments about our team and property. We love to make our guests’ experiences special and it sounds like you (and even the adorable Archie) encountered just that! It’s all about celebrating you – and I hope we have the chance to do it again soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here overall. The rooftop pool, deck, fireplace area is really what makes this place special. I would have given the this place two stars if it weren't for that... When we finally went to bed, the whole left side of our bed was wet, as if someone just hopped in after taking a bath or being in the pool, I don't know how housekeepking didn't notice this when making the bed. I should have asked for a new room but we were so tired that we just squeezed on one side of the bed instead!

1  Thank Sean C

Hi Sean C,
First off, thank you so much for the kudos on our property. Our hotel is pretty special and we are glad you think the same! But oh my goodness, I am so sorry about the bed! I wish you would have said something in the moment so we could have moved you and allowed you to get a proper night’s sleep. Would you maybe have some time to talk and review what happened? Please either call me at 805.879.9180 or send an e-mail to caroline.dyal@canarysantabarbara.com so we can review. I would love to hear more and apologize in person! Thank you so much!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed for long weekend in Santa Barbara at Canary Hotel. Really neat Spanish style decor (in keeping with SB) really nice staff, they treated my 86 year old mother like she was their favorite guest. In the past I have stayed by the beach but how much time can you spend there? The Canary is downtown so it is easy to get to all the great restaurants and stores on State Street. And the roof top pool and jacuzzi are just too cool. Food (and staff) at restaurant are also very good. Highly recommend. Almost forgot, the Canary is dog friendly! My dog (who is bery particular) also recommends the Canary although she thinks SB needs more grass on State Street.

• Stayed: April 2013

Kip9534…YOU are awesome!! Thank you (and your sweet dog) so much for the spectacular shout out and glowing review! We are so glad you and the whole family had a fun visit. Hope you will come back and play again soon!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Canary is well-located if you want a downtown location, and this older property is charming. The common areas, including a very nice roof-top pool area, are well done. Staff is friendly. However, be aware that the rooms can be very small, and bathrooms tight. We had (briefly) a "premier" room (lowest category), then a "superior" room. Both were surprisingly small and dark. The second room's window's crank was broken so we couldn't open it and there was no view. The in-room safe didn't open, which desk staff said couldn't be fixed. Burned out light (sorely needed) took two separate trips by the engineer to fix (i.e.,change the bulb). Shower was awkward. TV operation was very clumsy. No coffee in room (but free in lobby). Noise heard from next room. Very limited drawer space. In summary: despite its charm, location and friendly staff, don't count on a luxury/superior experience. Parking is $25 extra per night.

Room Tip: Avoid the premier and superior rooms which are very small.
1  Thank mgbenjer
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear mgbenjer,
Thank you so much for writing. I’m thrilled that you found the staff friendly and the overall property charming and well done! That said, it sounds like we missed the mark on some of the basics in your room. You have given us some points to work on for sure and I do appreciate your taking the time to detail. If you would be willing, I would love to talk further about any other items you encountered during your stay. Please either call me direct at 805.879.9180 or e-mail me at caroline.dyal@canarysantabarbara.com and I would welcome the chance to review. Thank you again!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I just stayed at the Canary for one night as a get away for our anniversary. This was our first time there. It was outstanding! The staff was friendly. The roof top pool was great. We were upgraded to a fantastic suite.It is well located to State Street and all the restaurants, which gives it a huge advantage over the Biltmore or Fess Parker. It is a "can't miss" hotel. We have been to Santa Barbara many times and the Canary is where we will be staying in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much, Scott R! YOU are fantastic! So glad you and your wife had a great visit and enjoyed your trip up the coast. Please let us know when you are ready to return. We will have your suite waiting for you!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We originally booked for a two night stay, but liked the hotel so much that we extended for a third night. This is an upscale boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara which makes it perfect for those who wish to simply leave their car with the valet at check-in and not have to drive anywhere until check-out. There are great sights to see and dozens of wonderful restaurants all within two or three blocks of the hotel. It is a treat to return to the hotel in the afternoon and retire to the beautiful rooftop pool and deck area, all of which lends a resort feel to this most excellent property. Staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome during our entire stay. Special kudos to Eddie Garcia for treating us so well at reception, and to Jake D'Agostino who was exceptionally gracious. Thank you Eddie for the beautiful accommodation, and thank you Jake for your hospitality and for the amazing amenity you had delivered to our room. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank Dumontco

Dumontco, we can’t wait for you to return as well! Thank you so much for the glowing review! I am so glad you were so welcomed and well taken care of. Eddie and Jake were both a-buzz about you as well and Jake had a great time putting together that special touch for you. Sounds like a mutual admiration club here! Thank you again so much – come back soon!