“Just one more night- please!!!”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Tustin, CA
“Just one more night- please!!!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Where to begin! I was booking a hotel in Santa Barbara for an annual group trip - 12 very different individuals and kept coming back to this unique sounding hotel - first the location can't be matched - walking distance to everything but I didn't even want to leave the hotel - it was one of those places where the staff actually like each other and seem to really enjoy their jobs but the camaraderie without being too casual made me relax from the time I walked in - I had dealt with Stephen Gray, the Sales Manager and he took the time to ensure each of our needs were met - it is hard to please everyone but we all loved our rooms with the decadently heavenly beds and the bathroom complete with rubber ducks. What made me stop and think and remind myself to write the review was from the sales dept., to the front desk to housekeeping - everyone cared - I was walking from my room to the elevator and the lady vacuuming the hall stopped and turned off the vacuum until I had passed so she could say hello and so the noise wouldn't bother me - none of this was pulled off its airs and graces but I felt royally treated in the most blissful surroundings - I can highly recommend Canary to anyone who loves their comforts. Well done to all - I shall return :)

1 Thank JodiVeeTustin_CA
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
JodiVeeTustin_CA, where to begin indeed! You are awesome - everything you saw and wrote about is what we love to do here at the Canary! From Stephen’s ability to happily accommodate to the housekeeper you highlighted, you can see how much the team here loves creating a genuinely warm and friendly environment for all visiting. I’m just thrilled beyond words to read your review and hope to have the chance to welcome you back real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Canary has the best staff -great, friendly and so helpful.Breakfast was wonderful and we really loved the happy hour.The rooms were nice and the most comfortable beds ever.Cant wait to get back and stay there again

Room Tip: We didnt use the spa
1 Thank Teresa9999
Wow, Teresa9999 your short & sweet review and absolutely made our day! Thank you so much for the shout out and please do get back here soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I always stay at the Canary when I visit SB. It's perfectly situated near State Street and a mile from the beach. The reception is extremely pleasant and the rooms are comfortable. I had called in advance to arrange a tour of wine country for my friends. Eddie could not have been nicer or more helpful. He hooked us up with Coastal Concierge and we had a nice, customized tour. Before we left we were told by both Eddie and someone else at the desk that while we were in Solvang we needed to try aebleskivers which was a good call for the 5 year old traveling with us.

Our room had a big king size bed that was extremely comfortable. The closet and drawer space was ample and the bath amenities smelled great. We took advantage of the rooftop pool every day where we ordered lunch on two occasions. Service was prompt and friendly. Food from Coast restaurant was decent. The water cooler with strawberry, pineapple and other fruits was refreshing. But for the large seagulls who hovered as we ate, our rooftop dining was a good experience.

The Canary does everything very well. I recommend it to everyone visiting SB!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MABM917
Dear MBM212,
If I could hug you through the website, I would! Thank you so much for this awesome review. Eddie is a rare gem and it is great to hear just how well he took care of you for your off-property adventure! It also looks like you had a blast on-property based on the rooftop and fun pool picture! Thank you for the positivity and hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back to SB soon.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 3, 2013

2nd time staying here. Short single nite stay but very good. Hotel is very well-maintained and has a good feel to it. Rooms are very comfortable and well-appointed. Very easy walking to all the restaurants that run along State Street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you choosing us for your short time indoors, LAoutdoorsman! Though it was a quick overnight stay, I’m glad we made a positive impact. Hope we get to have you stay longer on your third visit!
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This charming hotel has everything a guest could ever need - great, friendly and helpful staff and superb food. The ability to use the gym next door is a great bonus. All staff - parking attendants, front desk, restaurant/breakfast room, even the kitchen staff - were friendly and super helpful. I was able to order smoothies, salads, etc. which were not on the menu and everybody worked together to ensure that I, the guest get what I want! Congratulations - this is true teamwork at its best.

Room Tip: Both my colleague and I stayed a full week and we both had similar comments - the air conditioning u...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We heart you, MotherofTwoUbud!! Your review is outstanding and it is so great to hear that the team took excellent care of you. We love welcoming our guests into our home and it’s fantastic you felt that level of comfort and genuine care in your new “home away from home”. Come back and see us soon!
coronado
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the Canary as a part of a group of 36. We were all assigned to Deluxe King rooms, However, these rooms differed widely. We were lucky enough to have a large room with a desk and chair, easy chair, cocktail table and sofa. The bathroom was also large, but with a small mirror and sink area. The decor was interesting--mission? Others were not so lucky, being assigned to tiny rooms and/or tiny bathrooms. But all the rooms were designed for giants: if short, you had to use a step stool to get into the four poster bed or adjust the shower head. In our room, the water in the bathtub and shower was not hot, and two other rooms reported that their water was "ice cold." There were no coffee makers in the room, but coffee was available in the lobby--in addition to a hosted wine hour between 5 and 6. Happy hour in the bar was awesome: 4-7.

The rooftop pool and gathering place is fantastic.

The hotel appeared to have various infrastructure problems in addition to the hot water--the recent remodel had apparently focused more on cosmetics. The soundproofing was not adequate; although we were not close to the elevator we heard it dinging all night long (WHY do elevators have to DING!) The TVs in the rooms (all of us reported this) did not work, or if they did they had no HD channels.

There were no hand rails on the tubs (and we were a group fairly advanced in age). And the toilet paper was awful !

The service folks were welcoming and helpful, especially Ben at the front desk. But still, they could not make the water hotter or the TVs work.

This hotel would have been a "very good" 4 star property, but the glitches lowered it to "good", perhaps even "average."

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect the room if you have booked a "Deluxe King," they differ widely in s...
3 Thank CoronadoCarol
Dear CoronadoCarol,
I appreciate your review submission and the positive as well as the constructive feedback. Based on your review, it appears that you and your group experienced quite a few hiccups and for that I sincerely apologize. I’m so glad the team was helpful thorough the glitches and appreciate your highlighting Ben in particular, but that does not make up for the incidents you encountered. If you have the time, I would love to discuss with you further! Please e-mail me at caroline.dyal@canarysantabarbara.com so we may set a time to review. Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to speaking with you!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Pros:
Lovely hotel
Fantastic location; walk to everything
Outstanding food
Polite staff
Great resident dog, Riley
Best hotel bed EVER
Spacious rooms
Very clean
Awesome rooftop pool and bar
Great lounge
Free wi-fi for Kimpton loyalty members
In room fridge
Nice wine happy hour from 4-7 daily

Cons:
Horrible, horrible lighting throughout
(This seems to be a given with hotels that want to be hip. They sacrifice some necessities to be cool.)
Staff is polite, but not 'warm'
Small desk; not a great work area
Very short ironing board (and I'm not exactly tall)
Terrible water pressure in the shower (it's a rainfall shower head that's on an adjustable arm/fixture, but unless you're about 6'6", you won't be able to reach it to adjust it).
Television didn't work very well

It's a nice place. The food is good. The location is outstanding. They need to get their act together on the small things (they had signs up for Valentine's Day; my phone had been spilled on ages ago and never been cleaned up; stuff like that). And the need to get their staff to be A LOT warmer. The warmest creature there was Riley the dog.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelMommy1
Dear TravelMommy1,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and offer some very valuable feedback for me and the team. It’s always nice to hear the pros and never easy to hear the cons, but there are some very valid points through your review. As a result, we have addressed a number of the items listed and I am happy to report that lighting is being addressed and our TV issues are finally resolved! We have also enlisted Riley to lead some classes on how to move from polite to warm…kidding! Staff interaction has been a large topic here as a result of your review and it truly is thanks to you that we are able to address. I do honestly appreciate your taking the time to write and would love if you have any further feedback to reach out to me directly at caroline.dyal@canarysantabarbara.com. Thank you so much again and I hope to welcome you back again soon!