“Great location and the best bed ever!!”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta
“Great location and the best bed ever!!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay here. I usually stay at the Inn of the Spanish Garden, but since we had a group meeting, I stayed here to be with my colleagues. There are almost always people at the main entrance to open the door for you. The front desk staff was friendly, and the check-in process was fast. I asked for a high floor and received a room on the 5th floor, which is the highest room floor. My room was fairly small with a pretty tiny bathroom. My one complaint is that the lights in the bathroom are not bright enough, especially for when a woman puts on makeup. However, it was clean and cozy. The bed was spectacular! I had a king size pillow top mattress with a 4 poster canopy bed. I slept like a baby, which is very unusual for me when I am traveling. There are nice little extras in the room like a pair of binoculars if you want to go bird watching, a big candle with matchsticks which I lit before going to bed to add some ambiance for relaxation. The top floor is a must see. There is a small pol and hot tub, a fireplace with heated gas stands all around. The view from the roof overlooking Santa Barbara is wonderful, especially for sunrises and sunsets. The location is one block from State Street, and it is about one mile to the wharf. You really can't go wrong staying here. They also have a full bar and food, as well as complimentary coffee in the lobby. I believe I will stay here again next month.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
KittyAtlanta – you are the cat’s meow! Thank you for the wonderful write up! It’s wonderful to read that were well taken care of. And you are exactly right, our beds are ridiculously comfortable and I’m thrilled you actually got some great rest while travelling. Sorry for the ambient bathroom lighting. So you know for your next visit, we have lighted makeup mirrors available to borrow – just ask the front desk or include the request in your reservation. We are happy to make the assist! Thank you again so much and I can’t wait to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at the Canary this past weekend and we were more than impressed. Walking distance to State Street has it right in the heart of Santa Barbara, and right where you want to be! The room's were top notch, far above the other hotels in the area. The staff was very courteous, and took care of us whenever we needed anything. One of the best things about the hotel was the rooftop pool and patio. We ordered a bottle of wine and enjoyed it on the roof, looking at the nights sky, the experience just couldnt be beat. I highly recommend the Canary to anyone looking for a great hotel with something special added. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

1 Thank prestonz04
You make my heart go pitter pat, prestonz04! What an amazing review – thank you! I'm so glad you were well taken care of. And you have the right idea taking advantage of the rooftop. It is a stunning view day or night and I’m so glad you were able to enjoy it! Come back and see us soon!
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in mid-January and was blown away by the incredible hospitality I received. They went above and beyond at every chance. As a professional in the service industry, I have rather high expectations and couldn't have been more pleased with my stay at the Canary. It's a gorgeous hotel with an old world yet modern vibe, lovely staff(Eddy at the front desk was fantastic!), and a perfect location. I can't wait to return!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
So much happiness!! Alison O - what a gorgeous review! I’m so glad we exceeded your expectations and can't thank you enough for your kind words. Thanks as well for the shout-out for Eddie! He is a true gem and we are lucky to have him on our team. Can’t wait to see have you back!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I took my girlfriend to Santa Barbara for her birthday last month and we stayed at Kimpton's Canary Hotel. It was a fantastic experience. We arrived early, before the 4pm check-in, so the manager gave us two drink tickets to the bar to enjoy a glass of wine. We took them, but opted to start walking around SB and use them later that evening. The hotel is very central to the shops, restaurant, and wine spots that make SB famous. The weather was lovely, so even the 20 minute walk to the pier was pleasant. After bopping around SB for a while, stopping in various boutiques and wine bars, we returned to the hotel and ate at its restaurant, Coast. The staff was excellent, the food delicious. We ordered the house made beef jerky and burrata to start; both were fantastic. We also did a round of oysters, which we both enjoyed. For dinner, she had the sea scallops and I devoured the duck breast. We shared, begrudgingly. And I say that in the best way possible because both plates were excellent.

The next day, we spent the morning sipping mimosas on the hotel's roof, sitting in the jacuzzi when the winds kicked in. The view was simply stunning. The hotel was kind enough to give us a late check out (3pm!), even though it was New Year's Eve. Now that is service. We finished the day cashing in our drink tickets, toasting to this gem of a hotel.

Everything about our stay was perfect. The staff were warm and helpful, the room cozy and fancy. I can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brifo99
Brifo99, you make it feel like it’s OUR birthday! Thank you so much for the fantastic review. What a gift! Your review is so sweet and I appreciate your highlighting all the wonderful things that Canary & Coast have to offer. Especially Chef James’ incredible food! We hope you and your girlfriend visit again soon. Maybe a half birthday celebration is in order?
Santa Cruz
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lovely, well-located hotel in the heart of Santa Barbara just off of State Street. This is an excellent hotel choice if you are more interested in shopping/nightlife than a place with an ocean view. Pool area is lovely and well designed. Pet friendly. Front desk staff is THE BEST...every single restaurant and attraction they recommended was stellar. Very friendly and eager to please. Only complain would have been the bar staff, which we found to be aloof and distracted. We would most definitely stay here again. Comfy beds, nicely furnished rooms, and a lovely experience overall.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a one bedroom suite if you are able to do so. We were in room 512 and found it to be qui...
1 Thank KMH18
KMH18, you are THE BEST! Thank you for this amazing review! I’m thrilled that the front desk team sent you in the right direction and that you had a super fun visit. Come back and see us soon!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was my forth stay in eighteen months and always look forward to staying at this hotel. The Kimpton Brand is a great one. Service is friendly and genuine and we feel so welcomed every time we stay. The rooms are clean spacious and nicely decorated. Can't wait to come back. Thank you for another nice stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dan S., you are awesome! This makes me so happy. Thank you so much for returning often and for sharing the love! Please let me know when you’re coming back so I can give you a big ole hug and high five you on your fifth stay!
England
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. Reception were very helpful, Valet parking very efficient. Hotel clean & room was very nice. Located just off State Street, not near the beach but shuttle bus on State Street will easily get you there for 50c. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Furbs! Thanks for the kind words! I’m so happy you enjoyed the Canary and the team was helpful. We can’t wait to have you back!