“Incredible service, location, staff” 5 of 5 stars

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Incredible service, location, staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I visited the Canary hotel for a quick business trip to Santa Barbara and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The hotel was centrally located, had great amenities (tons of power outlets and free wifi if you're part of Kimpton's loyalty program), and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They went so far as to check the traffic for my drive back to LA before I left, as that drive can be tricky if you leave at the wrong time of the day. The proximity to State Street was amazing - gave me the change to sneak in some shopping in between my meetings. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TBentsen
Jeremy W, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Wow TBentsen! Thank you for recognizing the small things that we do. It makes what we do so much fun when they get noticed! We love you just as much as you love us and are excited to have read what you think of us. See you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while in town visiting my family for Christmas. This is my third stay here and it keeps getting better and better. The hotel was formerly the Andulusia and then Canary Hotel and now Canary, A Kimpton Hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and quickly checked in by the front dest staff. The hotel is pet friendly so my Maltese Basil stayed with us. Our room was spacious and decorated nicely. The bed was beautiful and the linens high end :) (very important!) The floors were dark hardwood and I was very happy with the layout. My favorite part of the day was my morning coffee in the sun by the rooftop pool. There is nothing in the way of views as the hotel is only 5 stories and smack dab in the center of downtown (one block from State Street) but the convenience of being downtown and not having to drive makes up for the view. There is no gym on premise but guests can use the Spectrum club next door and it is a nice gym.

I would def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank allison P
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear allison P,
Oh my goodness - you are amazing. Thank you so much! I can’t thank you enough for the incredible review! It is a rare and beautiful thing to hear that your hotel just keeps better, so I appreciate your loyalty, the acknowledgement and most of all the collective smiles you just gave me and the team. We love that you brought the adorable Basil and got to have a comfortable, relaxing stay while visiting with family. Please come bask in the rooftop sun anytime. We can’t wait to take care of you again!
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Phenomenal location in Santa Barbara. Comfortable rooms with dark hardwood floors, beautiful furnishings, throw rugs, and super comfy beds with Frette linens. Room was spotless and quiet! We were travelling with our dog Archie and the staff could not have been kinder - Eddie and Maximo were both outstanding and went out of their way to make sure our stay was perfect. The hosted evening wine hour was great.....we loved the Canary!

• 5 of 5 stars
Jmmlaguna - this was a wonderful Christmas gift! Thank you so much for the shout out! We are incredibly fortunate to have a great hotel and team and I am beyond thrilled to hear you feel the same. Eddie & Maximo love to make every stay special – not just for our human guests but for our four-legged friends as well – and I appreciate that you called them out by name. They really are outstanding. Again, thank you so much and I hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. Beautiful lobby all decked out for Christmas, complimentary wine happy hour, superb top-notch staff, lively bar and restaurant, good location. The rooms are tastefully decorated, clean, quiet, and comfortable beds. Beware that this is a dog-friendly hotel, and while most guests were responsible with their pets, there was the errant owner who would let her dogs off the leash in the lobby to dart around guests' feet and run into the bar. The room views are either the bus station or the gas station, but once I looked over the bus station to the beautiful mountains and church steeple peeking out of the trees it didn't bother me so much. The rooftop view though is spectacular. I enjoyed my stay here very much and would go back. Again, kudos to the excellent staff.

1 Thank Marylandtraveler530
Marylandtraveler530, kudos right back at you for the great review! Thank you!! So glad you had a great stay (save the errant pooch antics) and enjoyed not only the property but the team too. We are very blessed with beautiful mountain views and a well-styled property, but you said it best – it’s all about the superb, top-notch staff. Thank you again and come see us again soon!
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I've stayed at other Kimpton hotels, this is a very nice hotel, perfectly located next to State street. It is very dog friendly, if you want to bring your dog. The bar is very nice, and although it was too cool for a swim, the roof top pool and lounge area is beautiful . While the room was quite nice, I felt that for a king superior room( we were in room 304) it was small for the price, and the bathroom wasn't anything special (not sure why it is described as oversized), and overlooked the gas station across the street. The service was exceptional, with Max at the front desk being wonderfully friendly and helpful. While I enjoyed my stay here, I think for the price, I might look to stay somewhere else next time.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank hbatter
Dear hbatter,
Thank you so much for your positive comments and review! I am so glad you found the service to be exceptional and that Max took great care of you. He is pretty awesome, isn’t he? It sounds like the only thing missing was the right room layout. We have a few different king superior room styles in the hotel, so when you do choose to try us again, please give us a call and we will be happy to best accommodate your needs – and hopefully exceed your expectations! Again, thank you so much for the kind words above! We can’t wait to have you back!
Jupiter, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a great town - and at Christmastime, its especially pretty. State Street is all lit up and the town has a really special quality. I come here every year for an annual board meeting and have stayed all around town - Doubletree, Baccara, Harbor View Inn . . . Canary is my favorite though. The rooms are really nice - comfortable, upscale, quirky - the staff is good and so happy to be part of Kimpton now. The location is terrific if you're not here to lie on the beach. All around, this is really a great place.

Room Tip: My favorite is the 1 br suite facing the street. But I've stayed 3 times and all the rooms are g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hi Jeff B,
Always good to hear nice things from a fellow Floridian – especially when you call us your favorite! The team here has more fun than we should sometimes (it is “work” after all, right?) and I’m so glad you did too. I couldn’t be happier that you have enjoyed your times with us and hope we have many more Christmases to come! Take care and hope to see you soon!
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This being my first time to Santa Barbara, we wanted to stay at a hotel IN Santa Barbara. The Canary was the perfect choice. The hotel is minutes away from shopping, sightseeing, and restaurants. As at other Kimpton properties, it is a great hotel featuring a fabulous restaurant and bar. Equal attention is given to both. The spanish style architecturel hotel features large rooms with great bathrooms, fluffy Frette robes, extremely comfortable beds, a free wine and cider happy hour in the evening, coffee in the morning and appetizers and cookies late in the afternoon.
While all the above is important, I've not yet mentioned the Canary's greatest asset..... The Staff!!
Without exception, every staff member was helpful, friendly, said good morning or evening, and went out of their way to attend to our needs. Some staff "superstars" are Eddie at the reception desk.... we had to call back and change the dates of our reservations AND HE REMEMBERED US by name! Friendly and professional barely begins to describe him. Stephanie and Brett in the restaurant and bar went above and beyond in their hospitality.
Santa Barbara has many great hotels but many are destination resorts, miles from town. If you want to stay Santa Barbara, the Canary is a great choice.

1 Thank Robert B
Dear Robert B,
I am so glad you chose us as your first foray into Santa Barbara! Staying within the city on your first trip is always a good choice. And it sounds like you had a blast! I absolutely agree with you, we have a beautiful, comfortable property, but it is truly our team that makes the full difference. Eddie, Stephanie & Brett are rock stars and that you remembered them by name means just as much to us! I really can’t thank you enough for taking the time to give them and our hotel & restaurant props. Come back soon! We would love to do it all again!