Kimpton Canary Hotel
Santa Barbara Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$359
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Santa Barbara(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$264
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$229
Franciscan Inn & Suites(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$220
Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$425
$331
Hilton.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Ramada by Wyndham Santa Barbara(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$188
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$249
$197
  • Beachfront
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $244/night.

The Wayfarer(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
$270
$645
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
1,148 results
All reviewsrooftop poolfinch and forkfour poster bedstate streetwine houroutdoor fireplacedowntown santa barbaracomplimentary winebeautiful hoteldog friendly hotelhardwood floorsvalet staffupgraded to a suiteour honeymoonshops and restaurantshot tubmorning coffee
999 - 1,004 of 1,148 reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I researched many hotels in the area and finally decided on the Canary. We are haply we did. The location can't be beat - great walking to sightseeing, beach, shopping and dining. The hotel itself is beautiful - it maintains the area's Spanish architecture with a modern touch. We love the Kimpton hotels because they are each unique to the area they are in. This hotel is very well maintained, staff is super friendly and helpful and the restaurant is great! Cannot wait to return!

1  Thank pcas55
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Pcas55, we can’t wait to have you back! Thanks for taking the time to write about us. I love reading that you found the staff to be super friendly and that you found Coast to be great! As you said as well, the location can’t be beat – and what sets us apart is our Kimpton spirit and quirky touch. We are very proud of what we’ve got here and are so glad you feel the same. Thank you for choosing us! See you soon!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Truth be told, my last stay at the Canary wasn't a stay; it was a visit to their breakfast room on Thanksgiving day before going up the hill to visit with local (Santa Barbara) family and friends. However, I had such a great breakfast (egg white omelette with amazingly fresh vegetables -- it was the kind of dish a hotel restaurant could've just phoned in but this was note-worthy) that I felt compelled finally to write a review of my various previous stays. Long story short, this place gets it right. The people are pleasant; the design is, to my eye, smart and beautiful; everything, from the rooms themselves to the public restrooms downstairs, is spotless; the beds/linens are such that you do NOT want to get up in the morning; the amenities (free pass to the lovely next-door Spectrum gym, anyone?) are thoughtful... The Canary has just proven over the years (my husband and I have been here several times now) to be a reliable place to relax in true comfort. We actually try to stay here at least a night every Thanksgiving and were sad to have to cancel for work reasons this year (hence, the consolation prize of breakfast), but we will absolutely be back. And one day we middle-class folks will splurge and book the considerably more expensive Memorial Day! Anyway, like the review title says, "Go, Team Canary!"

Room Tip: The regular rooms can be a bit on the tight side so always try to see if you can be upgraded at check-in.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

WOW! Can I say… go team Maranville!!
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review! You are incredibly sweet to write after especially what sounds like a perfect breakfast at Coast. That egg white omelette is pretty amazing. We are sad you didn’t get to stay with us this year but can’t thank you enough for reviewing previous visits in such a delicious way! Please consider us for next year and we will be sure to exceed your expectations once again! You can always check our Facebook page for last-minute fun deals too :)
Thanks again & Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I first stayed at The Canary Hotel a few years ago, before it was purchased by Kimpton Hotel Group. It was nice then, but it is fantastic now. The location of the hotel couldn't be better. Leave your car at the hotel and all of the restaurants, shopping and entertainment are within a few blocks - you walk everywhere. The hotel has an arrangement with the Spectrum Athletic Club located next door. You can use the athletic club whenever you want, as many times as you want, and there is no extra charge. It is a full gym and exercise club.

The lobby, hotel rooms and the rooftop patio are very nice. Clean, nicely decorated and very inviting.

But, what makes The Canary Hotel even better is the staff. They are top notch. We dealt with Front Desk Manager, Ben Wagner - he was very helpful and professional - a "real manager". The staff was always pleasant, greeting you with "hello" whenever you walk into the lobby and wishing you "a great day" whenever you are leaving for the day.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Leonard - Encinitas, California

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites are very nice.

Hi Leonard,
I can’t thank you enough for your glowing review! The wonderful comments you sent me personally regarding Ben’s professionalism and personal service and the overall improvements you found with the hotel were so appreciated as well. We have an incredible team here that genuinely cares about every guest that walks through our doors and I am beyond thrilled that you experienced it firsthand. Hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I like the Kimpton chain and was interested in trying this property. It's located just off State St. in downtown Santa Barbara with close proximity to restaurants and shopping ( Saks is next door). The staff were all pleasant and helpful.
I booked an entry level room. It had very comfortable canopy bed that was really tall, a stool for the bed, hardwood floors, desk, chair, minibar, large flat screen and a safe in the closet but no view.
The bathroom was small, the lighting was pretty poor and the counter top was really tall.. The shower head was so tall I couldn't reach it to adjust it. All a bit strange.
There's a beautiful roof top pool and reception area where a wedding was being held.
I didn't dine at the hotel restaurant but did have a drink at the bar. it was nice.
And I ordered a lox and bagel breakfast from room service.
Everyone from the valet, the front desk, bartender to concierge were very nice and helpful.
There's a wine reception each evening in the very pleasant lobby.
Overall it's a nice place but it's a couple of miles from the beach and price is a bit
steep as are most things in lovely Santa Barbara. .

Room Tip: my 4th floor, entry level room was nice and quiet but didn't have a view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear dantex,
Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely review! I’m so pleased you found the staff helpful, pleasant & nice and found the accommodations to be comfortable. Yes, we are a mile from the beach which provides great shopping as you mentioned and more of a city view from the room but also allows for a gorgeous panoramic view from the rooftop! You will be happy to know, we are currently evaluating room lighting in general, so hopefully your next stay will be a little brighter. Thank you for the feedback and for coming to stay with us!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel is amazing. From the moment we arrived, the staff treated us so well - way beyond our expectations. The rooms are also great. You really don't feel like you are staying at a hotel, you feel like you are at the best guest room at a friends house with every amenity you can think of.

We will absolutely stay here again. Great location, within walking distance to great restaurants and shopping.

Dear Bessca,
Wow! Can I quote your response? “You really don't feel like you are staying at a hotel, you feel like you are at the best guest room at a friends house with every amenity you can think of” – that is music to my ears. And my new favorite quote about the hotel! We are all thrilled beyond words that you and yours had a great time here. Thank you so much for staying with us! Let's do it again soon!