“Location Perfect, Roof Top Pool Awesome, Spanish Charm”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was such a wonderful property we extended our stay by a night! First off service all around from valet, to front desk,to pool area and restaurant were top notch. Everyone was helpful and nice. We had been to a couple of wineries and I broke one of our bottles upon our arrival - the front desk attendant brought us a replacement bottle which was so very kind! We had a Jr Suite and it was lovely. The hardwood floors and four post bed are beautiful. I love a big bathroom and this did not disappoint - the star lights matched those we saw downtown! I loved the wooded bench in the bath for my makeup application and having to step up into bed felt grand. I am a huge Kimpton fan so the bed and linens were of course top rate. The roof top pool was a perfect place to relax and look out over the beautiful rooftops and into the hills - from a distance you can see the water and I loved that this pool is only 3' deep - making it great to swim a bit and cool off. My only disappointment was that our room overlooked the front entrance from the side and I had to keep the shades drawn most of the time or the valet and guests could look right in. My husband and I love light so this was a bit disappointing. As with most Kimpton's they have a well stocked Mini Bar and turn down service. We were suppose to go to LA on Sunday night but decided to extend our stay here because we liked it so much.

Room Tip: My only complaint was we overlooked the entrance and could not keep our shades open the entire stay...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeremy W, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Hi Kelly M,

We wish you could just keep extending your stay another night every day. :-) Our appreciation for those that stay with us was very evident in your review and I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed all of the touches in the room and the entire hotel. I hope you enjoyed the replacement bottle of wine just as much as the original bottle and if we could do anything more about the location of the room to offer more light without letting others see in we would do so in a split second. Our downtown location is great but sometimes lends to situations with room placement such as what you experienced. However, it is great to hear you enjoyed the only rooftop pool in Santa Barbara and we are so glad we were able to take care of you for an extra day! Stay warm in Massachusetts this winter!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Canary Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2012

MASSIVE disappointment. Small rooms by any standard, especially for the $500 we paid. Hammering at 1:40 am and when we called the fron
t desk we were told "we know, they are putting in carpet right in front of us." Wine list in restaurant hadn't been updated so items not in stock. The highlight of the hotel supposedly is the roof top pool and fireplace area. There was a wedding going on, which no one told us about, so we couldn't enjoy that feature. If you enjoy a loud, ill run hotel and are willing to pay a premium for it this is your place.

• Stayed: October 2012
12  Thank TEvan11
Jeremy W, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Greetings TEvan11,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay with us. Unfortunately we did not know the extent to which noise would be heard when we made the decision to undergo replacement of the carpet in the lobby, for that I sincerely apologize and wish we had chosen more wisely. In reference to access to our rooftop pool, the upper deck where the pool is located is always available and exclsuive to guest use but it is understandable if you may have felt your privacy was not being maintained with the event ongoing. Our staff should have notified you at check in of the times of the event and we will make a concerted effort to do so in the future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us the first time around and I would be more than happy to speak with you personally about a future reservation with us should you choose to return to Santa Barbara. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to return. I know your experience was not representative of who we are and I would like an opportunity to show you that.

Best regards,

Jeremy Wilhide
Director of Rooms

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My partner and I travelled from San Diego to San Francisco and room-wise, this was the best one by far. Massive four post beds, luxury bathroom, not too spacious, but I think huge bathrooms with lots of floor space are a bit cold and vacuous anyway. We only stayed one night, but the location is right in the heart of Santa Barbara. About 15 minute walk from the Amtrak / beach and right off the 101.

Service was high. No breakfast included and judging by the price you might want to go outside for food. Unless you like plush hotel restaurants. Didn't use the valet service, but seemed bustling and well attended to.

Pool on the top floor is open till 11pm if you fancy it.

There was a wedding reception on the top floor the night we were there and I thought we'd be kept up by it. Bar one extremely drunken lady who woke me up momentarily as she left we were fine. We stayed right above the exit to the car park too and we didn't hear anything. So sound-wise you'll be fine sleeping.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeremy W, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Greetings E C,

We sincerely appreciate your review and are so grateful to have been able to provide a phenomenal stay for you and your partner. While you did not get a chance to enjoy Coast for any of your meals we would say that you can most certainly expect the same experience there as you would in the hotel. In addition our Chef just released a new menu that we are extremely excited about so hopefully you give it a try the next time around.

Thanks again for the review and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked my parents (fussy seniors) in here for two night and if they could work out how to post on trip advisor they would have said it was just lovely. Their corner room was spectacular, service top notch and the location was absolutely perfect, just off State Street. They loved Santa Barbara and the Canary made their stay even more special. Now, I can't wait to stay there myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room withlots of light
3  Thank julie7381

Hi julie7381,

That is great to hear that your parents enjoyed being pampered by our staff and that their stay was top notch! We hope to see you as well in the future and please feel free to contact me directly when you would like to stay with us. I would be happy to personally handle your reservation with us.

Jeremy Wilhide
Director of Rooms

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Canary was the third hotel on our trip to California and for me it ticked all the right boxes. The front desk staff were very welcoming and informative. Nothing was too much trouble. The trip was planned to celebrate both mine and my husbands birthdays. His was a little more special as he turned fifty. The Canary was the only hotel to recognise this and sent up a bottle of sparkles. The roof top pool and hot tub had great views and a spanish feel. The views at sunset where amazing. The bar was also lovely and had happy hour and very happy hour; which meant free wine between 5 and 6pm. The room was elegant with little touches like the camp zebra robes, the plastic bath frog, four poster bed that was so tall it needed a stool.

Hi sparkles2909,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful words! We love hearing about the wonderful experiences our guests have when they are staying with us for occassions such as birthdays. Thanks for recognizing our attention to detail and we are proud to have been the one hotel throughout your trip to note your special day. =-)

Please keep us in mind when you make your way through beautiful Santa Barbara again!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I meant to write a review on this hotel back in July when we stayed for 2 nights, however, life happened and before I realized it, we're now in October...

One of my favorite places to vacation in Southern California is Santa Barbara. I love the old Spanish colonial architecture, the weather, (wide choice of) child-friendly activities, restaurants and shops. And whenever I think of Santa Barbara, I think of the Canary Hotel. This hotel is luxurious but laid-back, and is located right in the heart of Santa Barbara - just off State Street, just walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. It is also less than 10 minutes away from the SB Zoo, an awesome destination for my 2.5-year old. I have had a good run with this hotel and plan to come back again and again and again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank smartypants78

Hi smartypants78,

What a fantastic review and better late than never! :-)

We look forward to having you and your family return and hope you get to catch some of the fun exhibits to the SB Zoo has in store for us in the near future. Thanks for the feedbak and we will see you next time!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visit this hotel each year to play in a golf tournament. We have our choice of hotels in the area, but this is by far my favorite. Love the location, the room is beautiful and the bathroom, although small is decorated so well, you forget all about the size! We enjoyed the roof top deck for happy hour with our group and it was stunning. The only reasons it didn't get 5 stars is that for the 2nd year in a row, they were understaffed at the valet. 80 golfers needing to be at the course and one attendant running for cars...they know why we are there, they know our tee times and for the second year, they had us worrying. I was near a room that was playing music a little too loud, so made me think the walls were thin, so that is a little concern as I knew those next to me had a kid, so I was aware to watch tv at a low volume...but shouldn't have had to think about it. Overall, I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PrincessGiggles
Jeremy W, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thanks for the review PrincessGiggles!

We can't wait to see you and the rest of the group back again next year and hopefully sooner. Thanks also for the feedback regarding the staffing levels for the valet team, we will most definitely be better prepared for your group's needs in the future. It is through information such as this that we can use to ensure our guests have an exceptional stay with unparalleled service. Thanks again!