“SAVED”

Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“SAVED”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We hadn't planned on stopping in Santa Barbara but we suddenly remembered we had left our passports and money in the safe of the last hotel!! Which happened to be 3 hours!! back. It was also a best western in Santa Monica. We were desperate so went to the beachside inn and told the young lady at reception,( her name is Heidy by the way, I wouldn't forget that as our daughter has the same name :-) )
She took charge of the situation and arranged for the best western in Santa Monica to send our belongings via ups to arrive the following morning. Sure enough at 9.30 our package arrived. Thank you Heidy for saving us a 6 hour drive and probably missing a night at our hotel in San Francisco but being charged for it I would think?
Even without all that help, I would still recommend anyone to stay there, It is clean, handy and the staff are great ! Thank you.

1 Thank Leslie015
BeachsideGM, General Manager at Best Western Beachside Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hi Leslie,

Great story and the funny thing is I never even had to hear about it. Heidy just did it. That is awesome and I will give her a big hug for you. Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know about us. That's awesome!

HJRobbins - GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My friends and I stayed here for a girls weekend. I used to live in downtown SB, so I knew exactly what to expect from the area: right next to a park, across the street from the harbor and beach, a little less busy than right on State St.

I was first to come around 12noon, and asked if it was possible to check-in early. Not only did they confirm that they could have my rooms cleaned within the hour, they offered to put the rooms next to each other (we had 2 rooms). Mohammad was especially helpful and professional. He offered to hold my overnight bad in a locked room while I took a walk waiting for my room and helped me to my room to make sure everything was ok. My friends enjoyed their fresh cookies in the afternoon, so after coming home from dinner, my friend asked if there were any more. David, who was at the front desk, said he would check and ring us if there were any. After being in our room for 30 minutes (it was close to 10pm now), David knocks on the door and offers us fresh oatmeal raisin cookies! What a sweet heart! Overall, the service was fantastic and very friendly; great location for walking; minimal parking permit fee; good sized rooms with comfy beds.

Cons: The pool area is covered in shade by mid afternoon :( but you do have the beach right there. Also, they don't have a kitchen, so there's only expensive Best Western contracted room service (just look on yelp and order delivery; it is so much cheaper!).

Overall, great service, comfy rooms, happy times.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Vi N,
Glad everyone made you guys so comfortable. That's all we try to do everyday. Why not...we work almost on the beach in Santa Barbara. How can we be anything but nice...
Glad you and the GF's had a great time, we'll see you next time I'm sure.

HJRobbins -GM
portland, oregon
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Great location near marina and beaches. TripAdvisor #1 restaurant right next door. Although our room, 301 was very nice, large, with nice view of harbour, we asked for a quiet room. 301 is right across from the stairs and elevator. Hotel desk reception assured me it would be fine. Not even. It seemed like it was going to be OK at first so we did not say anything. We settled in. By 7.30 PM it became clear this location would not be as advertised. Whatever you do, get a room away from the elevator (and pool).

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank steveallenpdx
Hi,
Sorry about your noisy experience. 301 is actually one of the most requested rooms by many of our regular guests. It must have been a noisy monday evening that you experienced that we weren't made aware of. My staff is always available to quiet things down whenever needed.
So sorry about that. Please visit again and I will personally keep you away from the elevators
just in case.
All the best HJRobbins - GM
Fawnskin
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Although my husband and I have stayed at five star hotels, we were comfortable staying in, what people reported as a three star hotel. Actually after arriving here and walking around the harbor and State Street, we decided it deserved a four. Inexpensive, walking distance to the harbor and State Street, with a couple great restaurants nearby, especially Eladio's which is a block away.
Not a place to stay if you plan just to hang out in your room, but if you are looking for a place across from the ocean, walking distance to the wharf with a couple great restaurants within walking distance, make a reservation.
Saved over fifty bucks by using tripadvisor.
Nice staff. Quiet.. Get out and walk around Santa Barbara. Have lunch at the pier. Take the Santa Barbara Trolley Tour!!!
Better, pricier hotels near East Beach, but the Best Western is so close to everything!
Ask Heidi for help!!! She will go out of her way to accommodate your every request!!!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view. We stayed downstairs with no view, but , once you leave the hotel, spectac...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi Carol,

You're hired as my new marketing director. Couldn't have said it all better myself..almost :)
And I think I'll promote Heidy to your assistant. I will surely pass on your kudo's to her..

Wow..Thanks and all the best....Straight to the point!!

HJRobbins - GM
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed here based on tripadvisor reviews. We were passing thru SB and wanted a place near the water. The location was great and the front desk employees were wonderful. The room was clean but the beds were just so-so comfortable. The price was right and free breakfast is always appreciated. The worst part, which the employees can't control, is the building construction. The walls were paper thin and the gap at the door was large enough to let in large insects. We could easily hear our next door neighbors and the street below us. Not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Snowlover81
Hi Snowlover81,
Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the issues. Unfortunately, our guests occassionally have a noisy neighbor that we try to control as best as possible. And we succeed. I assume we missed this one. And unfortunately, due to the age of our wonderful hotel, some of the walls are not as soundproofed as others but we are working on fixing this with the many upgrades and improvements we have just begun that you experienced. Please return when all done and I'm sure you will be thoroughly surprised.

Our apologies..HJRobbins and staff
westcoast
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Traveling with a dog is always a bit of a challenge, but she is well behaved, so we usually bring her on our driving trips. Santa Barbara is a delightful respite from our northwest winters, and in the past we head for this Best Western. Cannot beat the location, and the employees are pleasant to deal with. Here comes the "but" you were anticipating: they have not kept up the maintenace, and the "dog" rooms are now bordering on disgusting (from my wifes viewpoint, the border has been "crossed"). We were there in March, and will likely be our last stay until they change out the carpets. We pay a nightly pet fee, presumably to creat a budget for maintenance and replacement, and the need to replace has long passed. Fortunately there are other well located nighty stay spots that are good with the puppy trade, and have kept up the maintenance. In the spirit of fairness, our only experience at this BW is with the dog available rooms, so you non-dog traveling folks will likely have a different experience. Like I said, nice employees and great location goes a long way in making a stay very enjoyable.

2 Thank WestcoastRay
Hi Westcoastray,
I heard about the carpet experience you had and apologize. Our pet rooms are so popular and requested so often we got behind a bit on the carpet cleaning schedule for those rooms in particular. You arrived in the middle of a pet room mess so again I'm so sorry. I hope you can give us another chance. And just as an FYI..I am seriously contemplating converting all our pet friendly rooms to have hardwood floors to make the stained, stinky carpet issue a thing of the past.
Please come give it a try, I'm sure you will be pleased.

Our apologies...HJRobbins - GM
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Nice hotel, excellent service, very well located (in front of the beach, not far away the main street), near an excellent restaurant! I will come back, for sure! Highly recommended. Just in front the beach. We enjoyed our stay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks 478christiand...
All I can say is Gracias and see you next time...And thanks for recognizing Toma as our amazing restaurant...It surely is as everyone knows by now!!

See you soon