“Drab Hotel, but Good Location”

Best Western Beachside Inn
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles
“Drab Hotel, but Good Location”
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Before I booked this hotel, I checked the reviews here on Tripadvisor. One user noted that he was ultimately disappointed with the look and feel of Beachside Inn after passing by more aesthetically pleasing neighboring hotels such as Oceana and Habor View Inn. This user certainly hit the nail on the head!

Compared to its neighboring hotels, Beachside Inn was dark, gloomy, and had a low quality motel feel to it. It wouldn't be so bad if I paid less than $100 per night, but for a two night stay, I paid almost $400, which included the typical add-on fees.

There was nothing impressive about our room. The bathroom had a small standing shower that had no place to put your shampoo/conditioner. There were glass cups provided on the nightstand, which were dirty. I thought there was free wi-fi but I guess they were talking about the tiny outdated computer in the lobby. The front desk was definitely NOT friendly or approachable. The continental breakfast was your typical bagels, cream cheese, bread, PB&J, fruit, cereal, coffee variety, which was just fine. Having breakfast was one of the few Pro's of this place.

The only other Pro's would be the location. It was only a few blocks from Stearns Wharf and State Street. But like I said, the neighboring hotels appeared to be much nicer, including Harbor View Inn, which a couple we met bragged was an amazing hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
california
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in April. The room was located near a hallway, near the elevator and stairs. So it got quite noisy at times. The room was nice as it looked like it had been remodeled, except for the bathroom. It looked like they tried to remodel it, but it just didn't happen. There were attempts at chaulking all over and it was coming off the sink and other areas. The bathroom smelled like mold and mildew and occasionally there was a strong smell too. I don't know if we were close to the maids room. The drawer on the vanity didn't come out, so you only had one drawer to use and it didn't smell that great either.

It was nice that it was so close to downtown, the water and the beach area, as we ventured out each night for a walk.

We might stay here again, but in a room with a remodeled bathroom.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I just returned to my home in NYC from a long trip to California. I stopped in Santa Barbara for a night on my way from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I was looking for a comfortable, clean, budget hotel, and that's what I got- plus more.
Check-in was easy & the free parking was convenient to my room (#102) on the first floor, near the pool.
The room was nice, it clearly had been remodeled recently. The flat screen tv was huge & the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the RUSK toiletries were a good surprise. The free wi-fi internet access was terribly slow, and they must have had chat ports blocked because I couldn't sign onto yahoo or aol messengers.
The continental breakfast was just as it states on their website & it got the job done. Bagels, pastries, cereal, fruits, coffee, juice, tea, etc. Seating is limited in the lobby area, so I took my munchies out on a tray and sat at the table in the pool area out in the sun. Very pleasant!!
I asked for a late check-out, and they allowed me to extend until 2pm, for no extra charge. They also let me leave my car parked at the hotel for the remainder of the day while I toured the town.
The pool area is cozy & blocked from outside viewers. However, you can hear the cars going by and all traffic noises. But once you jump into the heated water, you don't really care.
The hotel is located about a 5-10 minute walk from the end of Stearn's Wharf and the end of State Street. It's a healthy walk from there up State Street to the shopping area, about another 10-15 mins. Being from NYC, I walk a lot so I didn't mind.
Overall, it's a good value for your money & good for an overnight visit. If you were staying longer, you might want to try and get a hotel closer to the center of the tourist areas.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — Slow/restricted internet access
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank slickllh
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We came up from L.A. to spend a couple of nights in SB from 4/3-4/5/08.
First impression of the room was real nice. Clean and spacious, although "queen" sized beds were definitely exaggerated. We were in room 307, facing the park with homeless sleeping on the grass. The water from the sink smelled pretty bad. I'm a sound sleeper and, yet, was waken up at least 4 or 5 times by traffic on Cabrillo, which apparently turns into a raceway after midnight.
Asked to change to a room not along the streets, we were relocated to room 323 the next night. Great room but with another grossly exaggerated "queen" sized pull-out sleeper sofa. We asked, 3 times, for another set of towels as well as a hair dryer(there wasn't one in the room) but neither was ever brought up until I went to the front desk on our way back from dinner.
Two flat screen TVs were a pleasant surprise. Kids got to watch their stuff while I enjoyed a Laker game with my wife. Real nice quiet room and the Lakers beating the Mavs made for a perfect night.
We decided to sleep in the next morning before heading home so we asked for a 10am wake-up call......NOT NEEDED! 8:15am came around and all we heard were the maids screaming to each other while their carts rumbled back and forth like freight trains just outside our door. This continued for well over an hour and were then joined by small kids playing outside. I finally gave up trying to sleep and got up to take a shower instead. While I can understand it's often hard to control guests that may be inconsiderate of others, I couldn't understand the employees' inconsideration of guests who may still be sleeping. The screaming and carts rumbling reminded me of Grand Central Station in NYC!!
In all fairness, I thought the rooms were real clean but thought $171 a night was a bit steep. I also appreciated the fruits in the lobby which were there for the taking since we're big on eating our daily share of fruits. However, if you truly enjoy or are in need of a good night's sleep, this may not be the best place to spend the night.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank DVD_8
Riverside, CA
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Upon checking in I was given a room downstairs next to the housekeeping station and with a lovely view of a wall. I had requested 2 beds for 2 people and this room only had one bed. Returned to the office and was given a room on the 2nd floor on the corner of the 2 very busy streets. A better room but very very noisy so be aware if your room is on that side of the motel. There is a park across the street which is nice for dog walking except for the homeless people in the park at all hours. The motel is close to the wharf and boat launch so the location is good but there are many many motels in the area( along Bath street ) that are probably nicer and more quiet. The carpet was dirty in the room and we couldn't get the heat to work. I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Location near the beach
  • Disliked — Noisy location near a park with homeless people
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Ace4294
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed March 8, 2008

We picked this due to it's proximity to train station -about 1/2 mile walk; and price - $107 plus taxes. After walking by the Oceana and West Beach Inn, we were deflated to see the industrial look of the BW. Our room -108 - was next to the pool gate, and the room not very sound proof. We were out late, so it didn't bother us, but if you keep early hours, beware.
Pool was about the smallest I've seen with negliglble landscaping.
Room was tiny. No microwave, dvd, or fridge. Did have large flatscreen tv. Small-seeming queen bed was ok. Furnishings were strange! Some kind of tall empty consul held the coffee maker and the 2 chairs and table were aluminum and plastic patio style.
Good water pressure in shower, but it leaked all over the floor, no matter how careful we were. Not pretty, but clean.
Continental breakfast was better than a lot of places. Breads, bagels, sweet rolls, fruit and cold cereals -and a large bowl of hard boiled eggs!
We'd try somewhere else next time, but if we were in a jam, we'd make do with this place.

Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank go2ri2l
Hewlett, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2008

We were looking for a quick night in Santa Barbara and came across this hotel for less than $100. We didn't expect much more than a quick crashpad. We were pleasantly surprised.

This room had a very nice living room area with a seperate bedroom. Both rooms had very large Flat screens TV with many channels of cable.

It was raining when we were there but the pool looked average for a best Western.

All in all a good stay for a few nights.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family