“Beach view good room”

Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Pima, Arizona
“Beach view good room”
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Older Best Western, view of beach, facilities ok, no Spa, Easy access to shuttles and tourist areas. We are looking for a place in Santa Barbara to spend time while visiting ... This hotel would work... but slightly dated. Internet access worked well. Bed comfortable. Clean room and bath room. Breakfast was as advertised and plentiful. Staff friendly.

• Liked — Close to beach and transit to tourist areas
  • Disliked — Heater did not work
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SBvisitor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Kauai
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I stayed here on a weekday, so the price was OK. The hotel is in a great location for walking around to State street and the Harbor area. The bed was comfortable, free wireless. decent breakfast. The train only jolted me awake 1X.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank jmk1
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed in room 229, a "mini suite". Upon entering this room, I was pleasantly surprised how clean and nice it looked. It was comprised of two very small rooms, both with large flat screen televisions, a ceiling fan in each room, the furinture & carpet seemed fairly new and clean. So in the room getting ready we start noticing that's it's warm in there so we try to turn on the air conditioning. There is a control on the wall (what it controls, I have no idea) and a device below that that appears as if it may function as an air conditioner, but apparently it's just for looks. So we try to turn up the ceiling fans, but they apparently have only one speed which is very low. We open all the windows to try to cool it off, but to no avail. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was about 10 degrees hotter in the room than it was outside, and honestly, if this was the only problem, I wouldn't have minded, but unfortunately that was only the tip of the iceberg.

After going out for the night, we came back to the room, which wasw swtill pretty warm and tried to sleep. I started to notice how very hard the mattress was, but figured once I fell asleep it wouldn't matter. Of course it was difficult to sleep since the windows were open and it was pretty loud outside with surrounding streets, guests shouting, oh, and don't forget the train station, which is apparently VERY close and they apparently have the requirement that every train that comes in to the station idles for approximately 5 minutes while tooting it's whistle the whole time!!!! So anyway, somehow we fall asleep and can live with the situation until around 12:30 in the mornining when the real fun began... Around that time my husband and I were JOLTED out of our beds by THE LOUDEST BANGING NOISE EVER! I can only assume that it was the water pipes in the wall, that is truly my best guess, but I really don't know. It sounded as if a car had hit the side of the building. THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION. This noise continued to happen THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE NIGHT, I would say it occurred periodically, at least twice an hour, lasting for about 10 seconds or so each time. There is NO WAY any person with the gift of hearing could possible sleep through this.

Unfortunately, now that we were awake ( and I mean VERY awake because the sound is so loud and jarring that it truly scares the life out of you each time it happens) we are now VERY aware of how uncomfortable the bed is. It was to the point that my husband finally got up and opened up the sleeper sofa in the other room and we slept on that, AND IT WASN'T A COMFORTABLE SLEEPER SOFA, but it was better than the bed. Of course the train is still tooting, it's still very hot in there and there is still traffic & people noise.... but truly the WORST thing was the jarring noise of the water pipes or whatever it was that kept happening throughout the night until approximately 5:30 a.m..

I promise you that it was the longest night of my life, and I spent most of it laying there praying that time would go by faster & thinking of what I would write on this site. I honestly considered going out to my car to sleep, but frankly it didn't seem too safe, and I'm pregnant, so it really didn't seem like a good idea. I kept PRAYING for it to be 5:00 so it would be a somewhat reasonable time to get up & leave. We did not complain in the middle of the night because we felt like what difference would it make, we'd just be put in another hot room with an uncomfortable bed & kept hoping we would fall asleep.

When we complained in the morning they could not have cared less! They acted as if they had no idea in what we were talking about with the noise, which I find VERY hard to believe that no one has ever complained about that noise before ( we even spoke to the people in the room next to us who heard the sound all night too) and the clerk actually asked us if it was the water pipes or the air conditioning pipes! (a) like I know and (b) WHAT AIR CONDITIONING?!?!?! Is that a joke? We were offered no apologies or courtesies... the most we got was the manager's business card so we could call & talk to her ( because of course she wasn't there). And the real insult to injury is that we paid $216 to stay in this dump and a few nights later we spent approximately the same amount to stay in a beautiful place with anything your heart desires included.

BOTTOM LINE: YOU ARE BETTER OFF SLEEPING IN YOUR CAR THAN PAYING ANY AMOUNT TO STAY IN THIS DUMP!!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!

• Liked — leaving it!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — being there!!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Anniesty
walnut creek, ca
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Just stayed at this charming small hotel on the beach in Santa Barbara. Had one of the smaller poolside rooms but the flat screen tv and the brand new decor made it really nice. Prices are high in Santa Barbara this time of year but the property at least was nice for the money. Also, beach and the wharf area are just accross the street. Nice place.

• Liked — new rooms and flat screen tv in poolside rooms
  • Stayed July 2007
3 Thank caniche1
Austin, TX
Reviewed May 30, 2007

GOOD: Clean, airy room; felt safe; great price
OKAY: bathroom a little small; room pretty average; tiny parking lot; thin walls

I really enjoyed staying here for the one evening I was in Santa Barbara for a wedding. I deliberately looked up budget hotels through
tripadvisor since (1) I was on a budget and (2) it was Memorial Day weekend and prices were already high -- and for the amount I paid, I was pretty happy. All I did was check in at 3, head out at 4:15 for the wedding, then get back at 11:30 or so, crash out, then check out the next morning at 9A, so all I wanted was a nice clean room that I felt safe in -- and I got what I wanted!

The walls are pretty thin, we were a little worried about falling asleep b/c we could hear our next door neighbors talking -- but maybe part of it was that they were talking loudly, too -- but I still fell asleep quickly. And they were sticklers about checking in no earlier than 3 (we got into SB about 1:30, and checked back twice more :D before 3P to check in). Other than that, this did the job and
exceeded my expectations for a hotel just rated 2 stars!

• Liked — Clean; location
  • Disliked — Thin walls; smallish
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank bl0s5m
Rapid City
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Many family members stayed here for a wedding in August..
Several of us had called to be sure there was an airport shuttle,
and were in a bind when we arrived and was told there wasn't!!!
Taxi fare from the airport was $50!!! The rooms are fine,
clean and roomy but nothing too fancy. The pool area wasn't much- just a rectangle filled with cold water. If you're willing to
walk a few blocks to the beach, you can stay in nicer places
for less.

4 Thank flychick
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 19, 2006

All of the complints here are for boring people that hang out in the room all day during a vacation. The hotel is right across the street from the 2006 AVP tournament, a 5 minute walk from State street and is perfect for a young active couple. We enjoyed our stay, especially the continental breakfast after our 45 minute run on the boardwalk. There is not any coffee shope near, but the loby coffee way just fine. Our room was clean. The road noise on the park view was there, but nothing unusual. The cab ride was $34 from the airport. If you're coming for a West Beach activity, this is a great location.

• Stayed May 2006