“Fun and filling!”

The Palace Grill
Ranked #23 of 563 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Established in 1985, The Palace Grill is a Santa Barbara landmark restaurant featuring authentic New Orleans-inspired cuisine and a fun, lively atmosphere. Winner of The Santa Barbara's Independent Reader's Poll for "Best Restaurant Service". Located in Santa Barbara's charming Old Town district, The Palace Grill has something for everyone. Our menu features a wide range of contemporary American Grill items with a focus on authentic Southern and Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffee, New Orleans Bar-B-Que Shrimp, Blackened Filet Mignon, and delicious daily "Menu Additions". In addition we have a number of exciting Caribbean dishes and a line of Creole-Italian pastas. To insure that we remain authentic, the Palace routinely flies its staff to New Orleans to experience first-hand the magical quality of the city that has inspired the spirit of the Palace Grill. The Palace has been featured in dozens of national publications including Gourmet(R) Magazine, Bon Appetit(R) and USA TODAY(R). Throughout the years, The Palace has also been a favorite of culinary legends (including chef Julia Child and chef Wolfgang Puck) and has served its cuisine to countless global dignitaries - including 5 U. S. Presidents. At the Palace Grill, everyone shares one goal: to give our guests the most extraordinary dining experience possible: every time they visit. Besides our wonderful cuisine, The Palace is known for it's unique style of "Team Service" (which the Nation's Restaurant News called "an idea whose time has come") and our nostalgic nightly staff and guest Sing-A-Long to Louis Armstrong's iconic song - "What A Wonderful World." Come join the celebration known as "The Palace Grill Experience."
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was taken here by my bf and I have to admit the name "The Palace Grill" didn't really interest me. However, this place was nothing like I expected!

We showed up around 7 on a Saturday and there were street musicians playing some fun music outside the door...where there was a line to get in! Because it was just two of us we only waited about 4-5 min before we were seated but it was an entertaining 5 minutes.

Once sat we were given a basket of a variety of muffins. Some were harder than others but that also has to do with the ingredients. Everything from molasses to jalapeno muffins. It was fun to try them all!

We tried the jalapeno martini and it was actually pretty good. I liked the bit of spice I felt on my lips after a nice sip. It comes still in the mason jar shaker with a strainer so you can pour it out as the night progresses (although, it will be watered down by the end).

Since we couldn't figure out what to get off the big menu we tried the "All the Best Platter" and it had a wonderful variety of seafood. I loved the Crawfish étouffée as well as the coconut shrimp and soft shelled crab. They say it is good for two persons but really it would have been perfect for 3. That would have made it more reasonably priced, too, at 75/platter. I wasn't a fan of the salmon but my bf really enjoyed it.

The night ended with a sing-along and bread pudding soufflé (a little tougher on the outside edges than most soufflé) with a whisky cream anglaise and it was actually very good. It had a wonderful cinnamon flavor.

The whole staff was very nice and personable, which always makes any experience better! Inside was also such a "fun" New Orleans-style atmosphere.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

The service and friendliness of the waiters and staff were superb. The food was very good. We had crab cakes that were quite unlike any we had had before. They were a bit spicy but very tasty and good. Two people could easily share a meal. Atmosphere was friendly, food was good. Would go back if we lived nearby.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've been coming to this restaurant for years and decided to finally write a review. The food is authentic NO and everything that should be on the menu is from Gumbo to Jambalaya to Po Boys. And it's all good. The gumbo is loaded with either seafood or Andouille and makes for a great starter. The location is great, 1/4 block off of State St.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

This place has great reviews but they must be from dinners. I just had a hideous $32 stuffed fillet mignon for lunch there after our waiter recommended it. Really incredibly bad. I can't believe they would serve food like that. Last night's leftovers must have found their way into the microwave. I will never eat there again.

1  Thank triparocks
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant experience was wonderful. Aside from having to wait in line, nothing could have been better. Oh, and the wait was as pleasant as possible with a jazzy, quirky, excellent little Cajun street ban playing the WHOLE time!!

My friends and I had a wide variety of dodge and all fantastic, blackened red fish, étouffée, jambalaya, vegetarian dish. We also had soufflé and bread pudding and both were really great. Atmosphere and staff were fun and terrific.