“Very good Italian restaurant in SB”

Palazzio Trattoria Italiana
Ranked #354 of 553 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Palazzio is centrally located on State Street so it can be quite busy on nights and weekends. The food is delicious - huge portions, quite flavorful and worth the wait. The garlic bread is very tasty (be warned, you might fill up on it before any food arrives). The service was very good, though has the expected "laid-back" Southern California feel. Our waitress was extremely friendly and nice.

Have I tasted better Italian? Yes... I'm from New York and have been to Italy several times. Have I found better Italian in SoCal? Nope. Palazzio is quite good and is busy for a reason. I would recommend and would visit again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I visited this restaurant for dinner on my own while travelling in Santa Barbara in October 2013. The atmosphere was friendly, inviting and the whole place smelled of tomatoes, fresh bread and garlic - heavenly! I was greeted quickly by the hostess and she made me feel very comfortable even though I would be dining solo. She was interested in where I was from, what brought me to California and promised that my experience at Palazzio would be an enjoyable one. She didn't disappoint. My server, Vicky was quick, friendly and knowledgeable. She made excellent recommendations for both my wine and main meal (Papa Ruby's pasta dish was incredible!). I had the cannoli for dessert in honour of my boyfriend who was away in Peru and he would have been floored by the flavor and texture of this decadent treat. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire meal and never once felt uncomfortable eating by myself. I was even brave enough to give my regards and thanks to the manager for the service and quality of food. The cost was more than acceptable for the amount of food and level of service you get. One word of warning, the portions are true to American eating and are enormous! Half sizes are still enough to EASILY feed 2 people. I will DEFINITELY go back to this place when I'm back in Santa Barbara next.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

You must understand that everything on this menu is for sharing. With that in mind, still order less than you think as the portions are huge. Go with that premise and you will enjoy this place. We went with friends who are regulars and it's fun, busy and a great place for large groups. I would imagine it's not the place for a couple as you could feel a bit left out of the hullabaloo!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Four of us ate hear last Saturday night. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a table and were first ignored by the hostess. I asked the couple in front of us if they had put their name down on the list and they said they had not been greeted yet by the hostess either. Finally the hostess spoke to us and put our names on the list.
This place serves family style meals, so if you all want to eat something different, don't come here. The half size is for 2 people, full size 4 people. So it took a while for us all (my husband and myself and 2 teenagers) to agree on what we will share. We ordered one full size salad for the 4 of us and my husband and daughter ordered half size of roast chicken, potatoes and vegetables and my son and I ordered half size of a pasta dish with chicken and vegetables. The waitress was very rushed and spoke so fast we could not understand what she was saying. The salad came quickly but it took a while for the entrees to arrive. We were given small appetizer size plates for the entree meal. It was difficult eating pasta off of such a small place. My son just ate it out of the huge serving bowl.
The food was average. I don't think it was homemade pasta, which I would have preferred of course. My husband and daughter enjoyed the chicken. The bill came to around $55.00, which was fairly reasonable for 4 of us, and 2 beers. Not sure if I will come here again though.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

First time visiting Santa Barbara and liked the look of this place. It was very busy, so usually a sign that the food must be good! We were given a table right out front for two, which had just been vacated. Enjoyed the street Entertainers music from there. Had the loveliest, pleasant and efficient Waitress. No complaints about the food, very filling and tasty, though it did seem awhile in coming out. It was a balmy Tuesday evening and very busy in the Restaurant. I didn't realise just how big it was inside until I went in to use the bathroom, I loved the hand basins and light fittings, and was very clean. There is another big area out the back, which I thought had a lovely ambience and I liked the decor, unlike some other reviews I have since read here, Each to their own. Overall my Husband and I enjoyed the food very much, along with the great prices and atmosphere of happy people. Probably not for those who may be in a rush to get somewhere else, as food took awhile to come out and also we waited a bit for the bill.