“Not for Italian people”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
“Not for Italian people”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Very large portions, but pasta was not for Italian taste: too soft (non "al dente") and cooked without salt.
Maybe ok for American taste, but not at all for Italian taste.

• Visited August 2013

“Entrees overpowered by salt, salt, garlic, basil and much more salt.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I ate here while attending a conference at the Bacara Resort, in July of 2013. This is an Italian Restaurant, but I question if the chef and or the owners, are Italian. The dishes are Italian, but cooked with no attention to how the ingredients are combined. My wife had tomato basil soup, a chicken/pasta dish and I, the Chicken Marsala.
We sampled each others entrees and found all the same, in that all ingredients: Marsala, tomato, etc., were overpowered by salt, to the extent that the only discernible favors were salt, basil and garlic.

The waitress was sweet, but got the orders wrong.

The soup went back and was taken off of our bill. But even with that, our check was almost $100.00. I had one beer and my wife a cocktail.

Don't waist your time, or your money!

• Visited July 2013
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Too much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The amounts were over the top which would have been fine but the flavor wasn't there. I love family style but I love it to taste like home cooking and this tasted like cafeteria food. No thanks

Visited August 2013
Chicago
“Too much...of everything”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I'll start with the food. There is a lot of it. So if you are a big eater, you won't be disappointed. However, I would say the quality is underwhelming. This is not good Italian food in my opinion. I had capellini pomodoro which should be a very simple dish. It was way too salty. My husband had the lasagna and the meat was just overwhelming. The menu is huge and I always think about Gordon Ramsay's show and how he always recommends a smaller menu with options that are very well done. That is not the case in this place.

Then there is the decor. I don't normally comment on the decor as I'm usually more about the food (unless cleanliness is an issue). I'm not sure what the theme was. Eclectic? There were Renaissance type paintings on the ceiling, kitschy aquatic stuff hanging on the walls, track lighting, light up neon signs, and let's not forget the disco ball. Made me wonder if this place turns into a night club or something. We just happened to stumble upon the place when we were in Santa Barbara so I didn't/don't know anything about it. In any case, I was confused by what was going on. It was like sensory overload...kind of how I felt about the food. Just too much. Add to that the portion sizes and you have my review title.

• Visited July 2013
Whittier, California
“SOOO Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stumbled upon this treasure on our last evening in Santa Barbara. Absolutely great casual atmosphere, and the staff was all so friendly. The entree portion is HUGE. Seriously, they give a new definition to family style. The food is fresh and delicious. Go hungry! We plan to visit from now on when we are in Santa Barbara.

Visited June 2013