“check your bill; service is already added on”
Review of Bucatini

Bucatini
Ranked #106 of 529 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“check your bill; service is already added on”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have been to this small restaurant several times; the patio location on Lower State is great for watching the evening crowds walk by and the food has always been adequate without being spectacular. On this occasion (Hallowe'en) our group of 2 couples had a very mixed experience; my wife's pasta (the Bucatini) was so salty she almost returned it; my risotto was a tasteless blob of soggy white rice with a few shrimp. Our companions had pizza and the seasonal Pumpkin ravioli; both were happy with their choices. The location for watching the Hallowe'en costume parade was as good as ever.
When the bill came we were surprised at the amount and checking the items discovered that after the tax, service had been added to the total. In my 35 years living in States I have never noticed this in any restaurant for a table of 4 people, It is common practice for large groups. In addition when the credit card slip came another space had been provided for " tip". If we had not spotted the service charge on the bill we would probably have added a 15-20% tip on top. Service added on by the staff is a very unusual practice and I am sure several gullible tourists have overtipped as a result.

• Visited November 2013

Los Angeles, California, United States
“On State St open Monday nights!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had dinner here on a Monday night in the first week of September. Most of their seating is outside which is fine since the weather is so mild in Santa Barbara. We showed up at 7PM and got seated right away. Just 10 minutes later there was line waiting for tables. Linda had the Farfalla alla Contadina (bow tie pasta, roasted chicken, sage and mushrooms in a tomato cream sauce) which she said was great. I love traditional (old time) Italian food but opted for the Bucatini all' Amatriciana (hollow straw pasta with pancetta, onions, spicy tomato sauce and pecorino cheese). Wow, it was great. They have a fantastic selection of local wines too. I would definitely eat here again. Another review mentioned not liking the bread but it was fine when we were there.

Visited September 2013
Santa Barbara, California
“Nice experience”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I hadn't been to Bucatini in a while so I decided to try it again a couple weeks ago. It used to be one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Santa Barbara. This time around it was still really good!

I love sitting out on their patio and getting at glass of wine and one of their pizzas. The service was a little slow but I didn't mind because they were quite busy. Pizza was great just like I remembered it right out of their wood burning oven! Local or tourist, u should give them a try!

Tampa, Florida
“Bucatini, in Santa Barbara, CA”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We happened upon this place for lunch on a short visit to Santa Barbara. It has nice outdoor seating and the hostess is very accommodating if you don't want to sit in the sun. I had a prosciutto and mozzarella panini, which was fresh and delicious. Service was fast and efficient. We felt lucky to find a reasonable place in Santa Barbara.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Pleasant restaurant but pricey”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just visited this restaurant. Good atmosphere, sitting outside watching people and traffic on State Street. Heaters for a cool evening. Good choice of menu perhaps a bit pricey. Food was good - hot and tasty. Service was friendly and efficient; gratuity included which was a bit unusual but for a Brit meant that we did not have to work out how much to tip!
Overall rating average because it was a bit expensive.