“Very good food and service”

Opal Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #6 of 528 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A popular local’s favorite, opal restaurant and bar infuses an Eclectic California Cuisine with creative influences from around the World. Our chefs use the freshest of ingredients to create dishes inspired by the colorful multi-cultural heritage of America, often with an Asian flair. Items on our menu range from a 14 oz. Herb-Grilled Ribeye Steak on Tuscan Style White Beans, to Fresh Grilled Fish and Seafood, Homemade Pastas and Gourmet Pizzas from our wood burning pizza oven, fresh baked Breads, deliciously imaginative Salads and Homemade Desserts.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Very good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

The menu was varied and interesting, the food was very good, as was the service, and in general I enjoyed myself greatly. DO make a reservation, though--this place is very popular.

Visited December 2013

Santa Barbara, California
“Good food, good wine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Tried the Opal on Christmas Eve. Had never been here despite living in Santa Barbara for more than ten years. Single best aspect for me was the herb grilled filet mignon - it was very good, one of the best I've had, came with mashed potatoes and grilled veggies. Chased it down with a couple of good glasses of California pinot. Presentation was good. We had the peppered ahi appetizer - the family didn't think it was very good but I liked it - very peppery. It is noisy inside, we found ourselves shouting. Fairly pricey, but that's what I expected for a good restaurant on State Street. Extensive wine list, we all found something we liked. They demanded a credit card with the reservation, told us two hours max at the table, and when we were done we were pressured to leave. Took quite a while for the entrees to arrive after ordering, but they were very busy. My sweetie liked the vibe, sort of like the Chase but not as cozy.

• Visited December 2013
Victoria
“Average food only, very noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have not eaten here before and had high expectations. Unfortunately this restaurant failed. The service is slow, and I was not impressed with the food. I had the pork loin which was dry and uninteresting. The cost was high ($37).

It is also one of the noisiest restaurants that I have ever eaten in. I will not be back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank piet10
Santa Barbara, California
“Food is always great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Opal is one of those restaurants you keep returning to because you know you'll have great food and service every time. The only thing that tempers more frequent return visits is their reservation process, and their judgement of finding a table for you should you have the temerity to just stop in. This can be hit or miss and is the only flaw in dining there. I guess it all hinges on the phases of the Moon or how many walk ins they anticipate from The Granada.

• Visited November 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Fabulous food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

What a gourmet treat! Everything we ate here was beautifully prepared and we would definitely return if we had the time! A memorable eating experience. The staff were friendly and attentive even on a busy night.

Visited July 2013