“Opal's not quite the gem it's supposed to be....”

Opal Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Opal Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 553 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A popular local’s favorite, opal restaurant and bar infuses an Eclectic California Cuisine with creative influences from around the World. Our chefs use the freshest of ingredients to create dishes inspired by the colorful multi-cultural heritage of America, often with an Asian flair. Items on our menu range from a 14 oz. Herb-Grilled Ribeye Steak on Tuscan Style White Beans, to Fresh Grilled Fish and Seafood, Homemade Pastas and Gourmet Pizzas from our wood burning pizza oven, fresh baked Breads, deliciously imaginative Salads and Homemade Desserts.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ok, atmosphere is pretty good - reputation is outstanding, and I was so excited to take Hubby there for dinner. I will say the service was outstanding. The Opal Classic Caesar Salad - well, it was not anything that should command the $8.50 price tag - the dressing was so bland, we thought we could add a few anchovies and give it some life - it was really plain and I've had better at home. Then we ordered the Sauteed Chicken on Penne Pasta with a Homemade Chipotle Cream - it was so hot - Chipolte Cream ?? - the heat ruined the dish. To make matters worse, the chicken was so scarce - there couldn't have been more than 1/2 chicken tender in the whole dish. When I mentioned this to the waitress I will give her cudos - she took one of the dishes off the bill. Overall, it was a pleasant restaurant but the food was a major letdown - I was truly underwhelmed.

1  Thank Diana C

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I dined at Opal Restaurant and Bar as a member of a bachelorette party of 10. The food (per everyone's report) was delicious, however at San Francisco prices, the value could have been better.

Related to food, the specials on the menu are definitely the way to go. They all came with perfectly paired sides that were mouth-watering! I ordered the sea bass, and it was perfectly cooked with an interesting olive and chive topping that I would not have come up with on my own (but was great). The rosemary polenta that came on the side was amazing.

On the vino side of things, they were out of wines that remained on their wine list. While the wine list was impressive and expansive, I wonder how frequently this occurs.

They were kind enough to make a dessert for the bride-to-be with a "Happy Bachelorette" message on the plate. The dessert was absolutely divine (dark chocolate covered chocolate and white chocolate mousse with a raspberry sauce), but it was extremely rich. Perfect to share with the table.

If visiting Santa Barbara again, I might come back... Then again, I might choose to try something new.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend and I had lunch there Monday July 22, 2013. Our server Nicholas was friendly and very accommodating to our needs. We had the lemon grass salmon and it was devine. Topped off with sorbet at the end. The only bad part was having to return to work afterwards.

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

the title from another reviewer is right on, "Good, not great" food is good but not great to a point that you would remember how good it is after you walk out of the place. but, having said that, I would still recommend you to try

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had a reservation on the 4th of July. Seated immediately, very friendly staff. Ordered the potatoe soup and a caesar salad. Soup was good, super rich, salad was average it was salad. The main course nearly took an hour to come. I had paella which was full of seafood but not very spicy. My wife had homemade basil pasta w/ tiger prawns and smoked mozz., wife did enjoy the fresh pasta a didnt complain. Recieved a free desert for waiting so long. Overall good but expected better for the prices.