“Nice very view”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had lunch up on the outside deck, the view is great looking out over the water. Menu is your typical bar grill, I had the shrimp tacos which were good. It's a bit pricey for what you get but this is to be expected in this location I suppose.

There are newer reviews for Longboard's Grill

Reviewed June 29, 2013

It is a great rooftop view--and the peanut ambiance is nice-- but the food was only ok for all of us. I think you can get much tastier fare elsewhere as there are hundreds of eateries around town and the views are great strolling along the beach. Not horrible but not worth the money or going back in our opinion....

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were looking for a place to have lunch when we first got to Santa Barbara and opted for this restaurant. They were extremely busy but we were able to find two stools at the bar and ordered our lunch there. My husband asked for shrimp tacos but the server said they don't serve them. They serve shrimp in other choices but she didn't even offer to ask the cook if he could make them. Strike one. I ordered the lobster tacos and they were so-so but a little pricey. I wish I had ordered the clam chowder like my husband did because it was the absolute best clam chowder I've ever had. Their clam chowder saved the place.

Thank K. B
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have eaten here many times when visiting my son at UCSB. Love the view. We took the entire family there this weekend and it was a disaster. We had 9 people. Sat outside, so far so good. We ordered the calamari and seared ahi tuna were good (so they said I didn't try). We all ordered dinner...mostly burgers, I ordered a salad. Everyone was brought their food. No salad. The waitress came over and said, "how is everything?" I said, "I never got my salad". Waitress..."oh I am so sorry let me go find out what happened." 20 minutes later, everyone was done eating, my daughter had to leave to go to an activity, we are all sitting there, and my salad comes out. I said to waitress, " I am not paying for this, and I want my ($8,00) glass of wine taken off the bill". She says she has to go and get manager. Manager comes, RUDE. She asks what the problem is and we tell her that everyone is ready to go and my food just came and it needs to me comped. She says, wait for it, really "well you ARE eating it". So I looked at her and told her to take it. She did. Never had this bad treatment my a manger in my life.

1  Thank michelemoore2003
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Restaurant has a deck with a great view, and relatively reasonable prices for food for a place on the beach. That's the good news.

Extraordinarily poor service. This is a team effort. Everyone on staff works to deliver a poor performance. You need to find your own table. Getting the table cleared and cleaned is clearly an imposition on the staff. Getting a menu and placing an order disturbs staff conversations. We felt like we ought to apologize.

Food is nothing remarkable. I had the fish and chips which was very oily; the oil had an off taste but was not yet rancid. Maybe used too often. (The waitress said that's how it tastes. Most restaurants would say that if you don;t like something after a bite, order something else.) Our order was messed up, which was apparently done deliberately by one server as a prank on another server. The manager was less than indifferent, he thought that our concern over not getting what we ordered and were going to pay for was beneath him.

In addition to the great view, the restaurant provides numerous animal acts to entertain you. Pigeons will visit. Even if not invited. And birds do what birds do. Like try to eat your food. Relief themselves.

If you want a view of the beach, walk on the beach. It's free.

I had been to Longboards some years earlier and had a bad expereience. It wasn't until I was speaking to the manager that I realized that Longboards had managed to preserve in time a complete lack of service and very average food.