“View is a '5' - the rest is catching up”

The Dining Room and Terrace
Ranked #69 of 536 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lasuen
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We love this place. Tell you what we do --- come relatively early for drinks and apps on the patio. Killer views. Recommend the charcuterie and/or cheese platters, bottle of wine, and the free olives and nuts. Procuittoooooo. All in about $100 with healthy tip.

Agree with others, service is not up to OrEx standards. Feels like we are helping train some of the staff. Know that management is on it. This can be fixed...when it is, this place will be as good as it gets.

PS - great wine list - Great selection of Central Coast Cali wines (Booker!), top notch French and Italian.

There are newer reviews for The Dining Room and Terrace

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had dinner with a friend at El Encanto this week. It was wonderful in every way: the newly renovated hotel and restaurant is beautiful, the setting overlooking the ocean and Santa Barbara is lovely, the menu and food were excellent, the wine selection was great, and the service was perfect. I had the salmon and it was cooked to perfection. I highly recommend the El Encanto to anyone who wants to have an excellent dining experience.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great California cuisene with some Friench and Japanise influences Amazing ocean views , relaxing and peaceful time / I love it ! The Garlic Butter Alascan Halibut is really great . you can enjoy a wonderful menu and truly beautiful time with your family or friends.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The newly renovated hotel has an amazing view of the Santa Barbara skyline and ocean. Yet the food could improve. Mushroom risotto was runny and undercooked. Spare ribs were dry without much sauce. We were disappointed the meal didn't live up to expectations.

1  Thank D F
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My mom, sister and I came here to celebrate my birthday. While the patio is gorgeous, the food is really disappointing. Its not that its badly cooked, we just found it across the board to be very strange, as far as the flavor combinations. Sometimes it seems like restaurants try so hard to make the food "fancy" that they forget some of the basic tenets of cooking....
like flavor.
The gnocchi that was served with both the lobster appetizer and the salmon was a horrible texture, pure mush. The salmon itself was nice, but the broth that its in is just weird- kind of lemony, but not in a good way. My sister had the scallops, which again was just a weird flavor combination, piled with what looked like a strangely colored mayonnaise in between the scallops. Yuck. My mother had the pork loin, and again, was disappointed. The plate was neither visually appealing, nor was it particularly good tasting.
The best part of the dinner was dessert- the Ouef a la Niege, I believe its called- basically meringue surrounded by custard, and a classic El Encanto desert. For the birthday portion of the event they bought out a plate with two small cookies (macarons) on it, and "happy birthday" written in chocolate. I took one bite of the cookie, and put it back. Not tasty. Pretty cheap, considering dinner rang in at over $200, and we only ordered 2 glasses of wine.
The service was okay- it got a bit lax at the end- and when the waiter asked us how the food was, my sister piped up and told him that she didn't like hers. Had he looked at the half finished plates that all of us had, he might have realized that none of us were happy. At pretty much any other restaurant, whether a cafe or fine dining, that plate would have been taken off the bill- but not at the El Encanto!