“Very good food but spotty service”
Review of State & Fig

State & Fig
Ranked #85 of 547 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've eaten twice at State & Fig, first lunch with three friends, then brunch with my husband. On both occasions, the food was very well prepared, tasty, and attractive. The portion sizes are generous. The menu is not extensive, but the choices are very nice, and a chalk board adds options. The wait staff, however, should be better trained. Our waiter for lunch was reasonably knowledgeable but not as attentive as we would have liked. The waiter for brunch seemed to be quite disinterested in his job and our experience. Not once did he offer us more coffee after serving it in the first place. He did not offer wine, though he did serve my husband a glass after being asked. The kicker was that he brought our bill while we were obviously still eating, even though there were plenty of vacant tables and nobody waiting to be seated. The food is good enough for me to return, but I do hope the staff will be better trained.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The service here is atrocious. The staff are rude beyond comprehension. Worst restaurant experience Ever!
Do NOT fall for the good reviews. The food is overpriced, mediocre and simply not worth it. When I complained about waiting 45 minutes for my order to arrive, the owner rudely said that its their "policy." No apologies, no explanations. He even told me to never go back to his restaurant again after I refused to pay for my can of soda. If I really wanted that I would spend a minute at a vending machine, not an hour at poor establishment which mistakenly calls itself a restaurant.
To top it off, they deleted my Yelp review ! There aren't enough negative adjectives in the English dictionary to describe what a horrible restaurant this is. With so many dining options, do NOT waste your fine or money here. The restaurant was empty. There's a reason for that.

2  Thank Cali_love8
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I go to Santa Barbara frequently to enjoy that wonderful little city and this time I was so happy to find State and Fig in the courtyard just off State St and Figueroa behind Andersen's Bakery. I have had lots of so-so, ho-hum lunches and this place was a happy surprise! I had the Garden sandwich with chips and it was one of the best vegetarian sandwiches I have had. I think the key during this summer trip was the delicious yellow heirloom tomato that added superb flavor to the moist sandwich. It stayed together without the slipping often witnessed in a veggie sandwich, the avocado was perfect, the amount of sprouts divine, and there was just the right amount of purple onion. The bread was fresh but firm enough for the sandwich. My brother had the Olive Rubbed Chicken Plate and since he loves protein, this dish was not only gorgeous, but perfect. The chicken was properly cooked and sliced on a bed of greens and ratatouille with a little tapenade. We were both satisfied and happy. The outdoor patio with umbrellas was a nice place for people watching too. Big recommendation for State and Fig!!

1  Thank vegaspali
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We ate lunch here outside on a lovely August afternoon. The sandwiches were really tasty, and the server was really great.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

New place just off State St. We loved everything about our brunch, including the city suggestions by the waitor. Definitely recommend.