“Mexican food like you haven't eaten”

La Super-Rica Taqueria
Ranked #36 of 530 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
La Jolla, California
“Mexican food like you haven't eaten”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

There is a reason that Julia Childs was a fan of this little taqueria and that the lines of customers continue to wind out the door. The food is excellent, especially the Super Rica Especial. It is wonderful being able to watch the tortillas being made in front of you, the pasilla chiles charred on the grill, and to smell the aromas coming out of the tiny kitchen that churns out an amazing array of tasty food. Portions are not as big as you may have come to expect from fast-food Mexican joints, but the prices are very reasonable and you can always order more food. If they happen to have the watermelon agua fresco, get it - lots of chunks of watermelon await you. I only wish I lived closer!

Visited November 2012

California
“One of our favorites!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have been eating at this restaurant for years. All of our out of town guests want to go here. The food is fresh and tasty. Their hand made tortillas are delicious. My personal favorite is the number 8, with chicken, onions, mushrooms and peppers grilled and served with 3 tortillas. My husband always orders the Especial with a side of guacamole. We go at off hours to avoid the lines, and find the food consistently good. The owner is a great guy. We highly recommend La Super Rica!

• Visited October 2012
Encino
“So good!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Love...this...place. When I moved to Santa Barbara, my brother told me this was the true gem for Mexican food in the area. He hyped it up to the point that my expectations were pretty darn high by the time I would enjoy my first bite. I'll admit- my first reaction was that it was just OK. Now, fast forward two years later...I go there all the time! The reason? Trust me, it's not due to any lack of Mexican restaurant choices in Santa Barbara- as there are TONS. I go & go & go because it's just absolutely delicious. The place won me over big time. My favorite is the chicken w/veggies plate (comes with 3 home-made tortillas). Their quesadillas are excellent; the service with a smile is welcoming; prices are reasonable; and the salsas outstanding. Yummy.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank grescity
Camarillo, California
“Solid Mexican fare at affordable prices, but over-hyped.”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've been to this place on 3 or 4 occasions over the few years. Overall, I like the food but don't feel it or the place lives up to the hype. I know it's always crowded with people lined up down the block at times, but I must confess I don't see why. The food is fresh, homemade and tasty, but I've had better in Santa Barbara, Ventura and even Camarillo. Not a bad choice if you are on your way to the SB Bowl I suppose, but personally I would not go out of my way to find the place, which by the way is not so easy if you are just driving around the area without your GPS. It's a simple looking building without much in the way of signage, which you'd miss entirely if not for the people waiting outside. I guess I'll have to try it again one of these days.

• Visited September 2012
CA
“Fresh and good, but that's it”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Heard many great things about this place. It's a little shack of a place, "real" mexican food. The food is definately made fresh and to order, and it's good. But I didn't find it so great I would recommend anyone go out of their way to eat there.

Visited October 2012