“very clean spacious room”

Santa Barbara House by Hyatt
Ranked #51 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed October 1, 2006

It was spotless clean and reasonable ,we were very pleased .

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank rileyjane
There are newer reviews for Santa Barbara House by Hyatt

Reviewed September 2, 2006

This is not one of the world's great hotels, but it gave a us a good value stopover on the journey from SF to LA. The hotel is basically a budget annex to the Mar Monte hotel, where check-in is located. Other travellers have said it's difficult to find: the Mar Monte is a large hotel on the seafront and difficult not to spot. The Parkside is about 200 m from the Mar Monte's reception, just around the corner.

In a town of expensive hotels, the price we paid for the Parkside was reasonable. It's about fifteen pleasant minutes of walk along the seafront to reach downtown, so is well-located. The hotel is opposite a small park, but our room has a view of a breeze-block wall.

The room itself was clean, no problems with it although the decoration was starting to look a little shabby. The main downside was the noise: the ice maker in the corridor outside sounded like it was powered by an aircraft engine, and the hotel plumbing was incredibly noisy. Every fifteen seconds throughout the night it made a "flushing" noise.

There's also no internet access from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 12, 2006

First impression, the room was nice and big then the door that lets you into the building slammed shut wow sounded like someone drove into the building. The elveator was extremly loud every time someone used it. Combine those 30 times in one night and you dont sleep to good. One thing that got me really mad was when i requested a microwave (they brought it within 20 minutes) they knocked once and when i was going to go and open the door they where already standing inside my room, this made my feel really weird, it felt like they violated our privacy, make sure to put all the locks on your door if you stay here. Bed was hard. Paid around $130 and im glad we cancled our second night prior to coming. This hotel was overpriced, worth spending a little extra to stay some place nicer.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank daniel z
Reviewed December 29, 2005

I must have stayed somewhere with the same name as the visitor from Glasgow. Our room was a reasonable size, very clean and even had a small balconey. Yes, you do have to check in at the Hotel Mar Monte. I'd read reviews on TripAdvisor so I knew the hotel could be difficult to find. I Mapquested the Hotel Mar Monte and drove right to it. The person in reception gave us directions and it was super simple to find. The comforters are very plush :-). You are only a block from the beach and it's a very nice location.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank MilesToGo
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 13, 2005

For the price, this is the best bet in Santa Barbara. The ammenties of a restaurant, fitness room, pool and spa that go along with the Parkside are a block away at the Hotel Mar Monte. That fact actually worked to the advantage of the Parkside, as it is very quiet -and clean. It is a must to walk a block to the beautiful Santa Barbara Zoo - and to one of Santa Barbara's best beaches - East Beach. Another plus was the plush down comforter bedding. I'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 22, 2005

We were lost so I called the hotel for direction as we were on State St in Santa Barbara. They gave me the directions which I followed TO THE LETTER and spent 1 hour driving around trying to find the place.

What they do not tell you is the Parkside Inn is actually the poor relation of the Mar Monte Hotel. You need to go to the Mar Monte Hotel to check in and then be given more directions to get to the Parkside Inn.

So after driving about for 1 HOUR I called back for more directions and she said "Oh sorry did you not know I was giving you directions to the Mar Monte" unfortunately I had left my Crystal Ball at home. We got to the Mar Monte picked up our keys and were given directions to the Parkside Inn.

Imagine the worst place you have ever been to and then double it. The smell when you open the door to the place is awful, it is dull, dirty,damp, small and you would be better camping.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank Gioseppo
A TripAdvisor Member
CA
Reviewed August 11, 2005

We stayed at the Parkside Inn for one night on August 10, 2005. If you're slow on directions, it's a task finding this hotel. Its parking lot is small and uncovered. On checking in, to my dismay, was to be made at the Hotel Mar Monte about a block away in which after a long tiring drive you find it an inconvenience. The room was large enough for my party. It is well maintained and remarkably clean. There are no amenities in the building, so you have to drive somewhere to get food. Having a refrigerator in the room was one of my wishful thinking. For the most part it is reasonable and on a positive note its near to East Beach and Santa Barbara Zoo where my kids had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2005