“Smelly rooms and small bathroom” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Santa Barbara House by Hyatt

Santa Barbara House by Hyatt
Ranked #50 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
“Smelly rooms and small bathroom”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The hotel is not so bad. The rooms are nice and clean. It has a good location (5 min by driving to the center - state st.). The Hyatt facilities to use - also nice to have, although we did not try it.
However - the rooms smells bad... Like mold or something... The bathroom are very very small. So small that the sink is in the room itself and not in the bathroom. Its ok, but not so comf. If you are waking up in the middle of the night, all the room is up... You can't go to the bathrooms. And the light is the are with timer so during the shower it might go off... Not a wonderful experiance
Last thing - the walls are very thin. We could hear everything outside our room and above us. Not for light sleepers.. But its OK. I got it from hotwire for usd 110 +tax and their fees it was something like usd 135 - so it wasn't too bad for the money we spent. For more - I would not go.

Room Tip: Ask a room in the upper floor - maybe it leas noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leighann Y, Reservations Coordinator at Santa Barbara House by Hyatt, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Your feedback is important to us and I want to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the troublesome visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, although I am disappointed your stay is not as enjoyable as it could have been. I have alerted our housekeeping team regarding the smell and I’m so sorry for the inconvenient size of the bathroom. I hope you will be happy to know that we have made many enhancements to Parkside including: new carpet, paint, furniture and much more. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the newly renovated Parkside Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kenmore, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed one night in a spacious room with two queen beds. No mold problems in the bathroom as a previous reviewer mentioned, but the elevator smelled "musty". No microwave as stated in the description, and the refrigerator didn't seem cold enough. Beds were fairly comfortable, and bedding was ok; bath towels were a little rough. Our room was on the second floor and faced the parking lot. We were unable to keep the sliding glass door open for fresh air while we slept because of the noise from nearby Highway 101; suggest staying on the opposite side (although I don't know what the view is from that side). Two nice leather (?) chairs and sofa in sitting area. All in all, ok room for the price ($123 incl. tax). Wish we would have had time to take advantage of the Hyatt facilities down the street -- maybe next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your useful comment. It is always enlightening hearing about our guests stay, whether good or bad. I apologize for the inconvenience of not having a microwave in the room. That is not what we anticipate for our guests, and I will relay this to our maintenance team to ensure we have a microwave and refrigerator in each room. Our location is ideal, in that we are only 2 blocks from the beach and directly across the street from the Dwight Murphy Park. I know the 101 tends to be disturbing during traffic hours, but I hope you enjoyed the ocean breeze from the balcony. You may be interested to learn that we have completely redone the interior of the Inn and our once standard queen now features a California king. We have new furniture, among other things, and I urge you to return to see the final outcome and experience what Hyatt and the Parkside fully have to offer.
Geneseo, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

After reading the reviews, for the difference in price we thought we could live with the inconvience of going the Hyatt to check into this hotel. That was no big deal but the mold in the bathroom after we showered was. The Hyatt worked with us to switch rooms and gave us a free breakfast at the Hyatt restaurant. That was great but there was still mold in the bathroom of the room we switched to. Had them clean it which made it better but we would not recommend that anyone stay here.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Leighann Y, Reservations Coordinator at Santa Barbara House by Hyatt, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I’m so sorry to hear about your problematic stay with us. We know it can be inconvenient for guests to check in at Hyatt, so we can arrange a bellman to drive you to Parkside via golf cart if need be. Because Hyatt is Parkside’s sister motel, we urge guests to take advantage of all of Hyatt’s amenities like: the pool, spa, gym and many other features. Thank you for your feedback. The mold in the bathrooms is completely unacceptable and as Parkside has gone under major renovations, this issue is a priority. Our maintenance engineers have been working vigorously to ensure Parkside’s new look is completely fresh and spotless for our new and returning guests at a reasonable price. Please reconsider Parkside Inn for your next stay in Santa Barbara, we would be delighted to have you back to see the turn out.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Spent two nights in lovely Santa Barbara. Paid about $200 plus tax at the Parkside. This was overly expensive for what you get. It was nice to be able to use the Hyatt facilities, but still... I don't really understand why Hyatt wants to manage such a facility and not make any more out of it to keep their reputation. This was not a good experience and I would not stay at the Parkside again.

• Stayed July 2012
Southern England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

For an expensive area this 'hotel' offers good value. Room was hot, or cold, not climate controlled. Location was reasonable, out post of the Hyatt, as mentioned elsewhere, but no problem with that, all friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Leighann Y, Reservations Coordinator at Santa Barbara House by Hyatt, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your visit with us. I apologize for the air control issues; I have alerted our maintenance team with this matter. I’m so happy to hear our staff was friendly and helpful, we truly care that each and every guest enjoys their stay with us so please come visit us again!
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I found the Parkside to be just what I was looking for! I was coming home for a visit with some dear friends and it felt like home. The room was clean, well maintained and comfortable. I would recommend it to my friends and family and I will be back.
My only complaint was the room service food was a little cold by the time I got it. As long as I had coffee, I was happy~
Great job and thank you for the wonderful service~

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Santa Barbara is an expensive place to stay. I chose the Parkside Inn for price. Turns out the Parkside Inn is a long neighborhood block from the Hyatt and is run from there. It is near the railroad tracks and across from a playground (park). We did not hear the train during the night but did during the day. Formerly a 2-story motel with ~20 rooms, the Parkside has 3 or 4 steps to navigate to get to the elevator. Room was small. It is serviced by Hyatt room service and maids. I tried to phone three times prior to arrival, kept getting Hyatt. Neither the reservation nor general operator at Hyatt understood Hyatt's connection to the Parkside. We just stayed one night. It was fine considering how much more other properties wanted.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family