“love love love it”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kenora, Canada
“love love love it”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I had the best experience at the Hotel Indigo! You can't beat the location on State Street and we enjoyed having beers across the street at Union Ale and dinner at Enterprise Fish Co. The hotel has amazing ambiance and a super friendly staff - we really appreciated the assistance of William at the front desk with our reservation and recommendations for what to check out in town. We would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a place to stay in Santa Barbara - we have overnighted at other places in town and prefer this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Rob,
Thank you for the wonderful review! The compliments towards our staff, including William, are always appreciated and highly motivating to read! We strive to give each of our guests a truly unique Santa Barbara experience with great recommendations, especially right in our own neighborhood. Thanks for your positive comments and recommending us to friends; we look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I left this hotel feeling ripped off and exhausted after 2 nights of interrupted sleep. The owner has really cut corners with sound proofing from the hallways. A rethink is desperately required to fix slamming bedroom doors and general noise from guests returning late from bars and restaurants till 3am and later. I heard late night boozy conversations that seemed to be happening in my room above reception till around 3.30am. A freight train came through 2.30am and then 6.20am (just as I was getting to sleep) the first night. The second night was just as bad if not worse. Cheep double glazing and free ear plugs don't make a scrap of difference with these huge freight trains seemingly coming through your room. After 3 to max 4 hours sleep I had to drive 6 hours to my next destination. This was particularly dangerous but I had little choice.
I paid over $1400US for 2 rooms for 2 nights and this represented the worst value for money on my trip through California. Be warned - if you want to sleep go elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you must stay here book as far away from reception and trains as possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Craig,
I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo. I was very sorry to read your comments regarding the late night noise experienced from neighboring guests returning to their rooms; I understand how frustrating it is to experience noise while trying to get a good night’s rest between destinations. For the comfort of our guests we like to advertise our location next to the Amtrak station and our front desk associates are knowledgeable on the train’s schedule. I care about the problems you encountered and your feelings towards the value of the hotel; please contact me directly at amanda@indigosantabarbara.com with any more comments. Thank you again for your review, I appreciate your suggestions for improvement.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the beach so is ideally located. The shops and restaurants of Sanhoteta Barbara are also within walking distance. Its also worth exploring the vicinity of the hotel, known as the "Funk" before heading straight to State Street as there are some cool venues nearby. The hotel design is very stylish, which I liked. It is very modern and has all the amenities you would expect. The on-site restaurant/bar is also very good and a seemingly popular destination. Its worth a visit.

On the downside, the rooms are very small. I don't mean by USA standards either. Being from London, these are small even from a European point of view. While you have to admire the innovative use of space, the queen room we were in felt almost like it was more suitable for a single traveller. I guess it is a symptom of the age of the building. More importantly, we were not aware of the fact (and perhaps that is our fault too) that the hotel is directly next to the train station! The Amtrak trains stop running by 21:30 and although make a fair amount of noise, are not too much of a bother. The real issue is the (albeit occasional) freight train that may run in the middle of the night. The noise of the deafeninlgy loud bells was a pretty rude awakening and size of the train did mean the room was actually shaking a bit.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room!
Dear Igurdenli,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hotel Indigo. We’re glad you enjoyed the hotel’s modern design, unique amenities, and location next to the Funk Zone. Part of our ideal location is being next to the Amtrak station which we communicate online/by phone and gives many of our guests a great car-free way to travel to and explore Santa Barbara. You are right, our rooms are compact in size due to our historical building; this has also given us the opportunity to be a Green Engage hotel and reduce our carbon footprint. If you are to return to the hotel, we would be happy to assign a room towards the back of the hotel which is a bit quieter. Thank you for the feedback, we’re glad to have been part of your trip through California!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

the location was perfect and the Amtrak didn't cause any noise problems ........but the building seemed to resinate a constant noise possible from the air con ? it was difficult to sleep until we found the complimentary ear plugs !!! there are great outside places to sit day or night as the rooms are quiet small . we stayed in 214 try to avoid if sleep is needed!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Shiraz1989,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us valuable feedback in your review. The comfort of our guests is our number one priority so I was sorry to read about the noise experienced while in that specific room; our maintenance engineer is checking the HVAC unit and vents outside the restaurant below. I was happy to hear you were able to enjoy the hotel’s location and the sunny outdoor terraces upstairs. I greatly appreciate you bringing these positive and negative items to my attention.
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband, our black lab, and I spent two nights at Hotel Indigo earlier in April. We found the location to be extremely convenient, the staff to be top notch, and the facilities more than adequate. We were very comfortable and, while we heard the trains, we did not find them bothersome. We did request a "quiet room" as suggested by other reviewers and, admittedly, we could still hear the train which would have been louder had we been in a room on the train station side of the hotel. The room was a little small, but we were comfortable and found the space to be very well designed. The bathroom was perfectly functional. It is true that the toilet was unusable while the shower was being used, but that was not a big deal. The shower did not flood the bathroom as one reviewer said. The room and the bathroom had pleasant natural light and the bed was very comfortable. The adjoining restaurant, Blue Tavern, was excellent. It was lively and the food was fantastic as were the drinks. We would definitely recommend both the hotel and the restaurant. I would have given the hotel 5 stars, except the rooms are a little small and some could be bothered by the trains. For travelers who might want to bring their dog, don't hesitate. The staff at the hotel were very dog friendly and it was pleasant to walk the dog along the shore and on State Street. Several restaurants have outside seating that is dog friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Kathy,
Thank you for the wonderful review of Hotel Indigo and Blue Tavern! We’re glad you enjoyed the pet-friendly amenities and convenient walking location; it was great to have you two and your lab as our guests. I appreciate your detailed feedback and valuable tips which I’m sure future guests will find very helpful as well.
London
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The hotel itself is perfectly fine, the room was great and it's near everything in downtown Sta Barbara. There's not lift, however, which is odd. The main reason for the low score is that the hotel is situation right next to the Amtrak station, so you're woken up by the clanging of the bells as the heavy train trundles down the tracks. Not something you want at 5am.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea will be furthest from the train station
Dear Adam,
I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us at Hotel Indigo. We are proud of our convenient location next to the Amtrak station which we inform guests of through our website, reviews, and on the phone. Our historical building is from the early 1900s and was not originally built with an elevator; our staff is always happy to assist with bags using our functioning luggage lift or assign a room on the ground floor. Thank you again for your honest opinion.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was my third stay at the Hotel Indigo and the staff and location are what bring me back. The rooms, while small, are comfortable and well appointed. The location is excellent with the Funk Zone and other restaurants a couple blocks away and the beach is also very close by. Yes, the passing trains can be annoying (there's ear plugs in the room!), but the 615a Amtrak provides a good wake up call! The one negative, at least this trip, was the value. With the parking fee of $14 and the already healthy nightly rate, I spent much more than I would elsewhere in SB. That said, if I can get a reasonable rate, I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Rgram,
We’re so happy to be your favorite place to stay in Santa Barbara; thank you for being such a great fan of the hotel and fabulous Funk Zone area! I appreciate your humor about the Amtrak as well. Please look on our website, www.indigosantabarbara.com for our Book Early&Save and California Saver specials. We would love to have you as our guest again, thank you for the review!