“Small Hotel Packs a Powerful Punch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Small Hotel Packs a Powerful Punch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed two nights at Hotel Indigo in lovely Santa Barbara while there on business. Even though the square footage in the rooms/bathroom is smaller than your typical room, the new architechtural design geared toward functionality is impressive. The hotel has been newly remodeled and provides every convenience. One annoyance was that there is no elevator for this two-story building. However, there is a "lift" that provides for luggage to be moved from the ground level to the second floor. I had one large suitcase and a smaller suitcase that I did not want to pull up the stairs. I noticed that the restaurant at this hotel is quite popular - a full house each evening. Because the hotel is located on State Street, you can easily walk in one direction thru Santa Barbara's new downtown - lots of restaurants and shopping. If you walk in the opposite direction, you are only 1 block from the waterfront. Location - Location - Location. My room was perfect for one traveler - would have been a bit crowded for two unless there are larger rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side of the hotel that is not near the train tracks - when the wind kicks up ou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Penny4urTh0ughts,
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a wonderful review regarding your most recent stay! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s design and proximity to downtown, waterfront and ‘Funk Zone’ attractions. Next time you visit Santa Barbara, please call the hotel directly and we can help reserve one of our garden patio rooms on the ground floor. Thanks again for the positive review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great location! I was disappointed that we didn't stay here on our last trip, we stayed at the holiday inn, but I decided to take a tour of this hotel. The front desk clerk was the most accommodating, he showed us the king bed room with garden patio, upstairs king bed room, and patio area. This boutique hotel is quaint for two, EUROPEAN rooms are smaller than the rooms at this hotel, and I loved the innovative artistic concepts at this hotel. The hallways display local artwork, therefore the hotel offers a feast for the eyes, and romantic coziness to read and bask in the ocean air. This hotel is pet friendly (another plus), and walking distance to the beach and pier ( less than a block). Also I loved that the hotel is GAY friendly, and I love the comfort of knowing the staff embraces diversity.
Beds are über comfy, rooms spell wonderful, and I especially like the garden patio rooms. The showers or bathrooms are at most a two butt room, but a challenge for two women sharing the same resources (hair dryer, mirror, and sink area) so one will need to get ready in the room area (not a deal breaker for us since we had to get ready in European bathrooms that were smaller).

Room Tip: Garden patio rooms for those who enjoy enjoy space with their traveling companion (pets), and I woul...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sunnysgrl01,

Thank you for the amazing review! I am happy to hear Brandon gave you a warm Indigo welcome and thorough tour of the hotel common spaces and rooms. We would love to have you as our guests on your next visit to Santa Barbara; our new art exhibit, The Vastness is Bearable, is being installed in January so please stop by!
Marina del Rey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I were in SB celebrating her b-day and wanted a hotel a block from the beach and on State Street. Indigo SB was perfect. We walked on the beach, pier and up and down State Street for everything except the SB Zoo which is just 5 minutes away and definately a nice way to spend 3 hours.

The hotel staff including Hao, Frank and Daniel were very gracious.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Gobuffs7,
Thank you for the positive review and for choosing to celebrate the birthday weekend at Hotel Indigo. We’re so happy you explored many fun attractions near us including the Santa Barbara Zoo (the giraffes really have the best ocean view)! We greatly appreciate your kind comments on our wonderful staff as well, thanks again.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I loved this hotel so much I decided to extend my 1 night stay to two nights. The ENTIRE staff was so friendly and chipper from the moment I walked through the doors, eager to give info about Santa Barbara attractions, places to eat, etc. The hotel is near the beach and also near downtown, so from the second I parked my car I didn't get it in until I left. The first night we have a garden room that had it's own patio, which was phenomenal. The second night of our stay they no longer had the room available (I wish I planned more in advance for that one), so we moved to a room upstairs. The room was actually a little bit bigger than the garden room. The bathrooms in both rooms more or less turn into showers. Because of this the area in front of the toilet has to be toweled down, no biggie, after. The water pressure was pretty decent. I only had three issues: the second night of our stay, which was a Friday night, there was a construction crew working outside of our window until 2 am!!!!! I am not sure if they were working on the new restaurant that is being put into the hotel or the abandoned restaurant next door, but they were very noisy. The hotel provides earplugs in the bathroom, probably because this hotel is in a noisier area, but still... contruction crews that late running loud motors, trucks, generators, and shouting to one another in the parking lot on the side of the hotel was very hard to take. The other thing is I wish the rooms had small refrigerators. I was staying there with my 18 month old who needs milk throughout the day, so I had to bring a cooler. They said they had a communal fridge and I could just go to the front desk any time I needed something from that... I didn't want to stumble through the hotel first thing when my daughter woke up to get her milk. The last note, this is not a great hotel for kids, not because of them not being accomodating to children, but because the hotel inside is quiet and the whole hotel is an art gallery. It could ruin someone's stay with kids running through the halls. My daughter is extremely well behaved and quiet and used to staying in hotels. My very last issue, was back to the first night of our stay, when we were on the bottom floor, we could hear the people above us walking and sounding like stomping all night. They went out around 9 and came back around 2:30 in the morning and stomped around until 4 am!!!! So loudly at times that it would wake both the baby and I up... and baby's usually sleep through anything! Beyond the three issues, I will stay here again. I love the staff, the location, the cleanliness and design of the rooms, and the whole hotel itself. I had friends join me on a roof top balcony the second night of our stay for wine.... it was beautiful.

Room Tip: Get a garden room that has it's own private patio
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Dear Sandyslippas,
Thank you for your comprehensive review; we really appreciate you taking the time to leave us your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay at Hotel Indigo. We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed a nice evening with friends and local wine on the upstairs patio! Please call the hotel when planning your next visit to Santa Barbara and we will be happy to reserve a downstairs patio room for you in advance. Thank you again; it was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we honor your feedback.
Huntington Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a prime location. Within walking distance to everything. Great customer service and room was very clean. The hotel had extra perks such as wine tasting one night. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear uclagracie,
Thank you for the wonderful review! We're glad you enjoyed the hotel's proximity to beautiful Santa Barbara attractions, as well as the customer service and complimentary local wine tasting. We hope to see you on your next visit!
Pico Rivera, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This place is a great place for the right kind of traveler. The decor and cleanliness was astounding...just great. The hotel lends itself to a artsy, sophisticated and European look and feel. It would be a perfect place for singles, business people or young couples.
We, however, were a family and there are some drawbacks. The rooms are small, and the bathrooms are even smaller-definitely the European type of style, so not relaxing for 3 or 4 people. It was a family trip, with my mom, partner and her dog. The bathroom door is a frosted glass door with a gap that can be seen through-ie, not a lot of privacy. We didn't feel comfortable with this kind of setup. Also, the floor is type, so you'd hear the clicks of the dogs nails all the time. The hotel is pet friendly but to a point...the layout really isn't that dog friendly and they charge a $40 fee for the pet. Also, the fitness room is tiny with only a treadmill and elliptical machine and very little room for much else.
All of us commented how we could see the hotel being a great fit for singles, business travelers, young couples or young friends-especially with it's flare, decor and location.
And I would like to note how accommodating the management was to us which is why I bumped my review from 4 to 5. They were extremely helpful and understanding.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob M
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was a unique find a block from the beach. It's very European and compact in design, but that also means everything is brand new and attractive. Yes, other reviewers have commented on how small the rooms are, but it didn't seem to make a difference since everything is right there that you need. There is a library area where you can go to relax and spread out and two nice outdoor patios with comfy cushions.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Robert was there to help with anything we needed and the young woman at the desk with the long dark hair (sorry, forgot her name) was so good at giving us local suggestions on what to see.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room looked out on the street and we liked that. Not sure what the rooms down the corridor had f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear tapestries
We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Indigo and we were a nice fit for your travel style! I am especially pleased to see your wonderful mention regarding our excellent staff; it is always motivating to see our guest’s appreciation and comments! Our new restaurant ‘Blue Taven’ is opening next month and will be a great addition for you try on your next visit. Thank you again for the thoughtful review!